The Student Room Group

Aqa as french oral

Hi

I have my AQA AS French Oral on Monday and was wondering if anyone had any really useful phrases that can be adapted for different situations?

I'm doing my presentation on Les Medias so my topics for conversation/stimulus are:

Popular Culture
Cinema
Music
Fashion

La famille et les relations personnelles
In a family
Friendships
Marriage/Divorce/Being Single

Une Vie Saine
Sport
Healthy life and well-being
Holidays

I don't have many subjunctive phrases so I was wondering if anyone had any useful ones that can be used in different topics?

Thought this might be a useful thread for anyone who's got an oral exam coming up :smile:.

I've come up with the following phrases (don't know if they're right though, feel free to correct them :biggrin:!):

Bien que le tourisme soit important, je pense qu’il y un peu d’inconvénients.

Si j'avais la chance, je voudrais aller a un pays en Afrique.

Beaucoup de gens pensent qu'il faut qu'on se marie avant d'avoir des enfants.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by liviluck
Hi

I have my AQA AS French Oral on Monday and was wondering if anyone had any really useful phrases that can be adapted for different situations?

I'm doing my presentation on Les Medias so my topics for conversation/stimulus are:

Popular Culture
Cinema
Music
Fashion

In a family
Friendships

Une Vie Saine
Sport
Holidays

I don't have many subjunctive phrases so I was wondering if anyone had any useful ones that can be used in different topics?

Thought this might be a useful thread for anyone who's got an oral exam coming up :smile:.

I've come up with the following phrases (don't know if they're right though, feel free to correct them :biggrin:!):

I think it should be "aller dans un pays":smile:

And I don't quite get what you want to say by "qu’il y un peu d’inconvénients", sorry.

Well, you have those phrases that need the subjunctive like:
Bien que, avant que, pour que, afin que,
je ne crois pas que, je ne pense pas que
il est nécessaire que, il faut que, il est important que :smile:

I hope that's what you were looking for?

je pense qu'il y a ...

/ In any case, especially at AS, don't feel you have to litter your speech with subjunctive. If you're unconfident with the subjunctive then it's just as good to show highly accurate speech without it.
Reply 3
Original post by Sappho
I think it should be "aller dans un pays":smile:

And I don't quite get what you want to say by "qu’il y un peu d’inconvénients", sorry.

Well, you have those phrases that need the subjunctive like:
Bien que, avant que, pour que, afin que,
je ne crois pas que, je ne pense pas que
il est nécessaire que, il faut que, il est important que :smile:

I hope that's what you were looking for?

Thanks, I'm just trying to find phrases that use it with the verb endings etc, is it the case that whenever you use il faut que/il est important que etc, they always take the subjunctive?

I was trying to say 'there are some disadvantages', is there a better way to say that?

Thank you so much :smile:

Original post by cognito_08
je pense qu'il y a ...

/ In any case, especially at AS, don't feel you have to litter your speech with subjunctive. If you're unconfident with the subjunctive then it's just as good to show highly accurate speech without it.

OK, we've only spent about 15 minutes on it so I'm not particularly confident with it, I just thought it might be useful to learn some phrases that I can adapt to particular situation just to make what I say more interesting!
Reply 4
Thanks, I'm just trying to find phrases that use it with the verb endings etc, is it the case that whenever you use il faut que/il est important que etc, they always take the subjunctive?

Yes.:wink:

I was trying to say 'there are some disadvantages', is there a better way to say that?

You could say "Il y a quelques inconvénients".

PS: The poster aove is right, you don't have to use the subjunctive just to use it, but if you use a phrase that takes it, you should be able to, so that you don't get stuck in the middle of your sentence :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Maybe try to get some complicated compound tenses in?

J'ai fait... mais j'avais voulu... (pluperfect)
Quand (quelque chose aura lieu) le nombre (de quelque chose) aura augmenté (future perfect)
Si j'avais su... j'aurais fait... (pluperfect + conditional perfect)

With all the talk above about which phrases require the subjunctive, maybe think about perfect subjunctive?

Bien qu'il y en ait eu les inconvénients dans le passé, on ne peut pas nier que la situation ait amélioré.

Don't forget passives!

...est/sont souvent consideré(e)(s) meilleur(e)(s) que...

Also:

Je ne l'ai jamais consideré = I had never considered it
Il y en aura plus = there will be more of them

I have checked what I have put above, and I hope there are no mistakes.
Reply 6
Hi

Popular Culture
Cinema
Music
Fashion

In a family
Friendships

Une Vie Saine
Sport
Holidays

hi, i have my french oral next week, starting to get a little nervous :/
i think you meant "je pense qu'il y a des inconvénients" ?
and instead of "a un" i think it's "au"
for subjunctives you basically use expressions of doubt. so after phrases like "je ne pense pas que" and "il faut que" and "bien que" you could use the subjunctive. eg. "bien que ce soit difficile, on peut..." etc.
you could also say something along the lines of "si j'avais l'argent, je visiterais..." or "si j'avais le temps, je ferais plus de sports..."
also you could try using the present participle somewhere. eg. "en faisant beaucoup de sports..." or "en respectant des cultures"
hope this helps.
:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ruby.786
hi, i have my french oral next week, starting to get a little nervous :/
i think you meant "je pense qu'il y a des inconvénients" ?
and instead of "a un" i think it's "au"
for subjunctives you basically use expressions of doubt. so after phrases like "je ne pense pas que" and "il faut que" and "bien que" you could use the subjunctive. eg. "bien que ce soit difficile, on peut..." etc.
you could also say something along the lines of "si j'avais l'argent, je visiterais..." or "si j'avais le temps, je ferais plus de sports..."
also you could try using the present participle somewhere. eg. "en faisant beaucoup de sports..." or "en respectant des cultures"
hope this helps.
:smile:

Wow thank you so much that's really helpful- have pos repped your post! Had forgotten about the present participle so thanks for reminding me about that :biggrin:.

Good luck with your oral, I'm sure you'll be amazing so don't worry!:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by With an Accent

Quand (quelque chose aura lieu) le nombre (de quelque chose) aura augmenté (future perfect)

With all the talk above about which phrases require the subjunctive, maybe think about perfect subjunctive?

Bien qu'il y en ait eu les inconvénients dans le passé, on ne peut pas nier que la situation ait amélioré.

Don't forget passives!

Also:

Wow, those phrases look amazing, thank you so much! I haven't studied most of those tenses but will definitely try and get some of those phrases in as they would make my French a much higher standard so thank you! Will pos rep your post :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, I set up a thread about people on TSR using skype to talk to each other in whatever language they want to practice for their speaking exams. I reckon it could be really useful if lots of people sign up! I'm only last year of 6th form so I'm no where near fluent or anything but I find talking to people much more useful instead of writing notes for it.
If anyone wants to practice over speak then feel free to PM me! What do you guys think of the idea?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1586873
Reply 10
Original post by With an Accent

Don't forget passives!

Also:

I have attempted to use the pluperfect + conditional perfect, would you mind checking if I've done it correctly? :smile:

Si j'avais su des bienfaits plus tôt du sport j'aurais fait plus.

i.e. If I had known earlier about the benefits of sport, I would have done more.
I would probably say 'j'en aurais fait plus', but to be honest, I wouldn't mind someone checking me!
Reply 12
Wow thank you so much that's really helpful- have pos repped your post! Had forgotten about the present participle so thanks for reminding me about that :biggrin:.

Good luck with your oral, I'm sure you'll be amazing so don't worry!:smile:

lol, don't worry about it :smile:
and good luck with your oral :smile:
Hi

Popular Culture
Cinema
Music
Fashion

In a family
Friendships

Une Vie Saine
Sport
Holidays

I read this and just wanted to tell you not to worry! I'm doing A2 french at the moment but last year I got an A in my oral without using a subjunctive phrase! At the time I was so gutted having learnt some phrases but I think it just goes to show that you don't need them to get a good grade, it's important for the conversation to be fluent and not to sound too prepared (although I had learnt a few sentences to use!)

Some good subjunctives I like to use are:
Je ne pense pas que... (il y ait)
il ne semble pas que
il faut que
bien que
pour que

don't stress over trying to learn lots of them, i'd say have 3 or 4 good ones and then if it feels natural to say them as part of the conversation, say them!
good luck :smile: xx
Reply 14
Original post by hellogoodbye24
I read this and just wanted to tell you not to worry! I'm doing A2 french at the moment but last year I got an A in my oral without using a subjunctive phrase! At the time I was so gutted having learnt some phrases but I think it just goes to show that you don't need them to get a good grade, it's important for the conversation to be fluent and not to sound too prepared (although I had learnt a few sentences to use!)

Some good subjunctives I like to use are:
Je ne pense pas que... (il y ait)
il ne semble pas que
il faut que
bien que
pour que

don't stress over trying to learn lots of them, i'd say have 3 or 4 good ones and then if it feels natural to say them as part of the conversation, say them!
good luck :smile: xx

Thanks, have done my oral now, but that's very reassuring! I think I managed to get one subjunctive (il faut que) into my stimulus card part of the oral. I think I sounded quite fluent but don't know if I said anything particularly complicated because the exam answered fairly simple questions- I tried to expand on them but she didn't allow me to speak for very long before she interrupted which was a little annoying! Thank you for the phrases, will definitely try and get some into teh writing exam :smile:.
Thanks, have done my oral now, but that's very reassuring! I think I managed to get one subjunctive (il faut que) into my stimulus card part of the oral. I think I sounded quite fluent but don't know if I said anything particularly complicated because the exam answered fairly simple questions- I tried to expand on them but she didn't allow me to speak for very long before she interrupted which was a little annoying! Thank you for the phrases, will definitely try and get some into teh writing exam :smile:.

Glad I helped :smile:
Don't worry about it now because it's over and done with, but I worried SO much after mine for days and days, it's so annoying when you go over everything you said and remember all the mistakes! My examiner last year stuck to the AQA suggested questions so that might be why yours asked simple questions? I think they interrupt you so that they can fit in everything that needs to be done! At least yours is over with, mines on the 10th of May and i'm getting so nervous and worried about it!! x
Reply 16
Original post by hellogoodbye24
Glad I helped :smile:
Don't worry about it now because it's over and done with, but I worried SO much after mine for days and days, it's so annoying when you go over everything you said and remember all the mistakes! My examiner last year stuck to the AQA suggested questions so that might be why yours asked simple questions? I think they interrupt you so that they can fit in everything that needs to be done! At least yours is over with, mines on the 10th of May and i'm getting so nervous and worried about it!! x

Ah ok, thanks, you've made me feel quite a lot better! Good luck for yours, I have my Spanish oral on Monday so am just panicking about that now!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending