The Student Room Group

The people protesting today are uneducated riff-raff

3 things I've seen today on the protests:

Ed Balls was shouted at right in his face over the cuts allegedly increasing child abuse. Wtf? Ed Balls is on their (unjustifiable) side anyway.

A lady went sailing past on a wheelchair holding a sign saying 'NO CUTS'. I wanted to throw that sign in the Thames.

A man was dancing down the road blowing a horn and holding a sign saying 'Unity is Strength'. If this is the kind of communist society in which we want to live, then we must embrace the uneducated riff-raff of this protest. Otherwise we must send in the police to kettle them all.

There was another woman as well saying, 'my community is not going to stand by and pay for the actions of the bankers'. I wanted to go there and say to her, 'your community didn't mind all the extra investment that it gained however when times were good (because of the financial sector)'.

The whole lot of them want to **** right off.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Alternatively, maybe we should get rid of people like you in the world.
Reply 2
Original post by LornaSandison1

Seconded. Boring troll is boring.

Why? He makes one or two decent points. Anyway cool story OP.
Reply 4
In all honesty I pay no attention to these silly protests. They are dull and boring and then forgotten about more often than not a week later.
Reply 5

The OP makes a couple of good points.

Ed Balls isn't in support of so many cuts nor the £9000 tuition fees.

If you honestly believe we can get away with NO CUTS, then you're very much mistaken.

Signs like Unity is Strength don't really mean anything. You know, I'm sure you could get 100,000 to protest for a free 50p every bank holiday, but holding a sign reading Unity is Strength only serves to say, "Look how many of us there are." Let's be honest, 100,000 for a protest in 21st century Britain isn't a great deal. The TUC alone has 6,500,000 members. Let's not forget those made redundant, students, or anyone else affected by cuts (pretty much everyone in the ~62,000,000 population).

I'm all in support of the protesters if this is what they believe in, and they're not partaking in violent protests at the moment, but I think they could've put a lot more thought and effort into their campaigning.
Original post by DarkWhite

If you honestly believe we can get away with NO CUTS, then you're very much mistaken.

Signs like Unity is Strength don't really mean anything. You know, I'm sure you could get 100,000 to protest for a free 50p every bank holiday, but holding a sign reading Unity is Strength only serves to say, "Look how many of us there are." Let's be honest, 100,000 for a protest in 21st century Britain isn't a great deal. The TUC alone has 6,500,000 members. Let's not forget those made redundant, students, or anyone else affected by cuts (pretty much everyone in the ~62,000,000 population).

I'm all in support of the protesters if this is what they believe in, and they're not partaking in violent protests at the moment, but I think they could've put a lot more thought and effort into their campaigning.

The police are saying there are already 250 thousand this morning with more due to come. If the police are saying its that many, then its probably a lot more.

I'm pretty sure the numbers will be alot higher by the end of the day!
Original post by gunmetalpanda
Why? He makes one or two decent points. Anyway cool story OP.

Original post by DarkWhite

I was just angered by the OP's suggestions that you're uneducated if you don't agree with the government. Perhaps he/she doesn't realise that the cuts have had a detrimental effect on many people's lives, and people will be angry - it's human nature. I feel that anger is particularly justified when the government say we cannot afford this, that and the other thing, but when it comes to finding millions for a war in Libya, it's not a problem.

I realise that protests won't change much - they didn't with the tuition fees, and I realise also that cuts have to be made. But many people are very much frustrated by a seemingly hypocritical government, and they have a right to protest if that's how they feel.
Reply 8
Original post by i_am_disco
The police are saying there are already 250 thousand this morning with more due to come. If the police are saying its that many, then its probably a lot more.

I'm pretty sure the numbers will be alot higher by the end of the day!

Unless they have at the very least 2 or 3 million there this march is fairly meaningless.

If you are going to neg this please explain how 250k ether represent's 60 million people or even says anything about the general public opinoin?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
i wanna go on one of these riots .... I mean protests.... they look a hella fun. :smile:
My mother is protesting today. She has a PHD and is head of her department at an extremely good university that most people would do a lot to get into. If there are cuts she is going to lose half of her department, and despite the fact that she has a crucial job within the university, her entire department might be axed.

So shut up.
Reply 11
Original post by ellie_flower
My mother is protesting today. She has a PHD and is head of her department at an extremely good university that most people would do a lot to get into. If there are cuts she is going to lose half of her department, and despite the fact that she has a crucial job within the university, her entire department might be axed.

So shut up.

What subject does she teach?? The cuts are being covered by the increase in tuition fees no so are there not enough people willing to pay to do your mum's course??
Reply 12
Original post by ellie_flower

So shut up.

If her department was that crucial, the university would be receiving enough in tuition fees to keep it running. As it is, the market has spoken and rendered that department redundant. That is not the fault of the Government.
Reply 13
I love seeing the pathetic answers when protesters are asked about alternatives!
Tax the bankers is a popular one, "they got us into this crisis"; they also massively helped the economy before it but either way there's a structural deficit (most of the deficit) that needs to go independent of the crisis.
Then they go on about Keynesian economics, we ARE overspending!! The government ARE spending more than they get and will be for the next 4 years, it's not like they've said they're going to suddenly run a surplus. If you have a MASSIVE recession you spend big time as Gordon rightly did but of course once you start recovering which we have you cut back on the increased expenditure as we are doing.
Reply 14
I love seeing the pathetic answers when protesters are asked about alternatives!
Tax the bankers is a popular one, "they got us into this crisis"; they also massively helped the economy before it but either way there's a structural deficit (most of the deficit) that needs to go independent of the crisis.
Then they go on about Keynesian economics, we ARE overspending!! The government ARE spending more than they get and will be for the next 4 years, it's not like they've said they're going to suddenly run a surplus. If you have a MASSIVE recession you spend big time as Gordon rightly did but of course once you start recovering which we have you cut back on the increased expenditure as we are doing.
Original post by isaqyi
If her department was that crucial, the university would be receiving enough in tuition fees to keep it running. As it is, the market has spoken and rendered that department redundant. That is not the fault of the Government.

her department is based around further education for those, who, as a result of poverty, lack of information or because of immigration and persecution, were unable to doa degree in the first place.

The government doesn't consider such people worthy of doing degrees, so they do not help my mothers department to cover their costs, and thus, it will most likely have to be cut.
Original post by goose1990

How do you explain Libya then? That's hardly helping the deficit is it?
Reply 17

Because when Gadaffi's gone and we have stable access to oil contracts in Libya, that will help our economy in the long-run.
Reply 18
Original post by isaqyi
Because when Gadaffi's gone and we have stable access to oil contracts in Libya, that will help our economy in the long-run.

Investment now to ensure future growth then? Why doesn't that apply domestically as well?

Apparently it's actually cheaper to fire these missiles than to maintain and eventually decommission them. Besides which I think stopping a madman from gleefully oppressing and murdering lots of people is probably a little more important than our financial problems in the grand scheme of things. "Oh no, we're going to have to cut back a little more! I'd rather let these people be massacred." Yeah.

This coming from someone who voted Labour and thoroughly dislikes this government in general, gotta agree with them here.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending