The Student Room Group

Should I firm UCL or IMPERIAL?

Major query, I haven't got long to decide!

I've got offers from both for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and I have no idea what to do!

I've always loved UCL and didn't know much about Imps and just applied for the hell of it, and on the interview day I really liked the look of it! I love everything about Imperial college itself but I do have a major issue with it's reputation (not the academic one of course).

I'm quite a sociable person who does amateur dramatics, goes out quite a lot etc. and enjoys the company of non-science students (shock horror). Obv. Imps is a science college so there would be NONE of that there, I quite like the look of the drama and music there and the union. But apparently it's never used! I also have an issue with the boy:girl ratio as I don't think it's healthy to be in such a male dominated pressured environment. I want to work hard but Imperial seems a bit like a student sweatshop!

If ucl had the academic rep that Imps had (and the better facilities) I would firm it without question. But I'm literally panicking as to what to do!

Could I have some advice from people who have chosen one or the other?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
what reputation does imperial have?
Reply 3
UCL is still a university with an incredible academic reputation (AND you get a University of London degree), don't be afraid to put it as a first choice.

Firm where you'll be happy - dropping out is the worst possible scenario.
Reply 4
Arguably, if you want to work worldwide, a University of London degree is more famous than Imperial, despite the world university rankings.

I based that on what the head of a leading swiss geotechnical engineering firm told me
(edited 10 years ago)
UCL has an absolutely fantastic reputation overall. Admittedly, Imperial is considered better for science but I don't think firming UCL over Imperial would cause you a great disadvantage in the job market. Also, you have to remember that you will do best where you're happiest and if you're already having doubts about Imperial, you may not enjoy it.

When it comes to choosing between two universities that are barely different in terms of reputation, you should really go for the one where you think you'll be happiest. Don't forget though, that the UCL workload will be hard too.
Reply 6
Some people would think you'd be crazy not to firm Imperial, and since UCL’s reputation for engineering is not great. However, it is important that you go somewhere where you will be happy with your university life. It also seems from these subject league tables for Electronic and Electrical Engineering that UCL is good.

Edit: could you explain why you have given this a negative rating?:confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Choose UCL - it sounds like you'd enjoy it more and the discrepancy in reputation with Imperial will likely be overcompensated by your happiness (which will likely translate in you performing better in your course).
Also, enough people choose UCL over LSE/Imperial every year so don't feel that you'd be the first to do something so 'bold'.
Reply 9
Original post by Smitht

I've got offers from both for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and I have no idea what to do!

I've always loved UCL and didn't know much about Imps and just applied for the hell of it, and on the interview day I really liked the look of it! I love everything about Imperial college itself but I do have a major issue with it's reputation (not the academic one of course).

I'm quite a sociable person who does amateur dramatics, goes out quite a lot etc. and enjoys the company of non-science students (shock horror). Obv. Imps is a science college so there would be NONE of that there, I quite like the look of the drama and music there and the union. But apparently it's never used! I also have an issue with the boy:girl ratio as I don't think it's healthy to be in such a male dominated pressured environment. I want to work hard but Imperial seems a bit like a student sweatshop!

If ucl had the academic rep that Imps had (and the better facilities) I would firm it without question. But I'm literally panicking as to what to do!

You dont find the right group of people at imp then socially ur gonna be a flop as theres a lot of international students who stick to themselves
Reply 10
They're both great unis so just go for the one you prefer.
UCL isn't on the same level as Imperial for Engineering but I'd echo what everyone else has said, in that if you're not going to enjoy it there, pick UCL.
Reply 12
Original post by Smitht

Definitely firm Imperial. It is the better of the two for your course. Also, I know people who go to Imperial doing Physics and Engineering degrees and they are members of the Drama society there, regularly putting on productions, so in that respect you won't miss out.
Reply 13
Further advice: If you're not sure, procrastinate!

Take all the time that you've got to make a decision - you're choosing between two excellent unis so know where you're going to be happy.
At either Uni, your degree will be recognised all around the world.
Reply 14
I know what you mean about Imperial, I applied to study a MSci in medical physics at UCL (under the engineering faculty) and physics at Imperial. When I went to visit Imperial there is no denying it is outstanding academically, but I felt as if you would miss out on a big chunk of what being a student is all about (this is just my opinion, if anyone from Imperial thinks I'm talking bs then fair enough, you've lived it, I haven't)

Where as when I went for my interview for UCL it just had such an energy about it they seem to have a good social-work balance that means you still get to develop yourself academically whilst developing your personality. (It's is also nicer to look at :wink: )
Reply 15
Imperial does have a much better employment-reputation than UCL, this is without a doubt. There are companies who take Imperial students above all others and if not all others, it's usually Imperial and Cambridge.

The odds of you having a good social life at Imperial are smaller, BUT they are only odds- it doesnt mean you cannot if you really try. If you live in halls and get involves in societies then you will have no problems. So at UCL the odds of having a better social life are much higher, you wont need to try as much.

Workload-wise, Imperial is again in another league- the place is well known for its extremely tough engineering courses.

If Oxbridge study '16 units of workload' in an 8 week term, Imperial is probably '22 units of workload' but over a much longer 12 week term. You will have slightly-less pressure than Oxbridge, but over a longer duration.
Reply 16
Original post by MM1234

I know UCL isn't the best for engineering, which is my main concern to be honest. Because I've always wanted to go somewhere that I can feel confident having on my CV. But I don't want to sacrifice (potentially) four years of happiness to do it. If there are like minded people who love Imps I'd be totally up for it.

Original post by The_Libertarian

Haha, I know it's nothing new or 'bold'. But it's a big choice you have to admit.

Original post by 053917

That sounds cool, I did know about the drama societies and stuff. I just didn't know if they were good or not.

Original post by RWills
I know what you mean about Imperial, I applied to study a MSci in medical physics at UCL (under the engineering faculty) and physics at Imperial. When I went to visit Imperial there is no denying it is outstanding academically, but I felt as if you would miss out on a big chunk of what being a student is all about (this is just my opinion, if anyone from Imperial thinks I'm talking bs then fair enough, you've lived it, I haven't)

Where as when I went for my interview for UCL it just had such an energy about it they seem to have a good social-work balance that means you still get to develop yourself academically whilst developing your personality. (It's is also nicer to look at :wink: )

Hmm, I know what you mean. They took us down into the labs and there were just rows and rows of blokes doing programming. I can't even put my finger on what I didn't like about it, because it ticks most of the boxes. I think it's just all the students seemed quite miserable! Whereas UCL, whilst being a bit rough round the edges for my subject seemed to buzz a lot more. The buildings at Imperial whilst not being old and...well Pantheon stylee, were still pretty nice to look at :tongue:. Where did you go in the end?
Reply 17
Hmm, I know what you mean. They took us down into the labs and there were just rows and rows of blokes doing programming. I can't even put my finger on what I didn't like about it, because it ticks most of the boxes. I think it's just all the students seemed quite miserable! Whereas UCL, whilst being a bit rough round the edges for my subject seemed to buzz a lot more. The buildings at Imperial whilst not being old and...well Pantheon stylee, were still pretty nice to look at :tongue:. Where did you go in the end?

I withdrew before my Imperial interview because I knew where I wanted to go. Firmed UCL.
Reply 18
Original post by fibrebiz
Arguably, if you want to work worldwide, a University of London degree is more famous than Imperial, despite the world university rankings.

Sorry, but just no.
Reply 19
UCL DEFINITELY. THE LOCATION IS GREAT, THE REPUTATION IS AMAZING (RANKED IN THE TOP 5 UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD ALWAYS) 3RD IN THE UK USUALLY JUST BELOW OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

Seriously if you got an offer, who'd choose not to go there! It would look amazing on your CV... and the people there both on the course and in the hole university and halls will have all been individually picked too.

UCL is phenomenal!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending