The Student Room Group

Is fair that top unis accept internation students over uk students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
Firstly, this aint an essay being marked or anything so i dont see y i cant write like crap online ¬¬. And if majority of places r reserved for home students how do u explain the huge international intakes at imperial, UCL, lse and many others, quotas are comin in from next year, there rent any at the moment theres restriction in meeting the requirements for entry.

The reason I'm picking on your spelling(I don't normally) is because you're annoyed that someone with more money has taken yours or your friend's place at a top university. This is not the fault of the international students. Also, show me proof that the top universities are accepting more international students, rather than home students
Reply 81
Original post by Teveth
Universities are public institutions. The British public do have some entitlements to their places. If we reached a situation whereby 90% of university places went to wealthy overseas students due to the fact they can pay more, do you honestly not believe that such a situation would pose a serious problem for British society?

People like you, quite frankly, scare me. Your thinking is dangerous. University education should not be left to the decision of the international money market, and our universities should not become the playthings of the world's wealthy. If British people can't see this, then we are truly doomed.

yes and that is why there is a certain amount of places for British people, my point was simply aimed at people who didn't manage to get one of them places saying that there needs to be more and complaining that internationals take priority over them when there actually considered completely seperatly , yes as long as British tax payers contribute to universities there should be a set amount of places that go to British people I am not disagreeing my point was aimed more at people like the OP saying that there is not enough when there really is. not every British person can get in... some of them because they apply to universities way out of their league, do you really think its sense for them to be stating things like "the foreigners took my place :O"
Reply 82
Original post by de_monies
The reason I'm picking on your spelling(I don't normally) is because you're annoyed that someone with more money has taken yours or your friend's place at a top university. This is not the fault of the international students. Also, show me proof that the top universities are accepting more international students, rather than home students

Its more than obvious have been inside lse or imperial because i have , i know for a fact that there student population is way about the limit it should be . And technically UK students should have the right to be annoyed as there getting a less top notch education in comparison to overseas rivals who are gonna compete with them for top jobs ¬¬.
they can let in whoever they want...

that said, internationals usually only have a certain amount of places open to them anyway, and thus don't compete with UK students for places
Original post by Lewroll
Whats up with the font size?

And the universities can let in whoever they want.

Orly?

So what if they banned domestic students altogether?
Is it fair that you are an ignorant idiot? No. But life still goes on.
Its more than obvious have been inside lse or imperial because i have , i know for a fact that there student population is way about the limit it should be . And technically UK students should have the right to be annoyed as there getting a less top notch education in comparison to overseas rivals who are gonna compete with them for top jobs ¬¬.

Blame your ineptness if you don't get a 'top job', firms aren't charities.
Reply 87
That should decrease demand :smile: and giv Uk studenst more places

WRONG!

I'm one of those international students you are talking about coming into the LSE to do postgrad from September along with over 100 people form 57 different countries in our little group of friends and get this........ it does not matter how high fees go we will pay it........ why????? because when we applied, we applied knowing school is expensive....

The higher fees go demand will not fall.

and what do you mean by " foreign universities should step up their game" you assume we all are coming from some "poor" country with bad Unis??????

NO!!! most of us come from countries with excellent unis most in the top 100 (I think ranks are BS) we just want world experiences. Some of us are coming from unis better than the ones you listed.

By the way you do realise that a lot of your logic is flawed right? there are caps on entry for international students, and LSE, UCL, Imperial have large postgrad bodies and as you said you do not "MIND POSTGRAD", so what is the problem? Undergrad UK students also have caps and priority.

You and your kin/friends did not get in cry me a river, there are thousands like you who did not get in at what point does LSE/UCL/Imperial say NO? hmm?
Reply 88
Do you think its fair that in many top universities, such as LSE, Imperial, etc prefer to accept international students over Domestic students at a time where Domestic students are unable to compete at graduate level jobs when there international equivalent?

Do think its right for universities to say having international students is more beneficial to the Uk economy, when these internail students leave once they have passed, while Domestic students are struggling to get into degree courses which causes in the long-term falling qualified domestic workers?

How many of you agree that Domestic students should have preference over international students when these universities are UK based and are being funded by UK taxpayers for there children and not for international students?

I realise that international students do give substantial fees and provided about £5 billion to the Uk economy, however i feel it is in the short-term and that long-term prosperity requires UK students to recieve Top education into creating a more stable and more than qualified supply of workers?

What I feel makes this case even worse is the fact that there is a current shortage of university places for local students, shouldn't the government look to maxsimise local students into university rather than being political and allowing foreign students into Uk universities as not many Uk students opt to go abroad due to the high cost in some countries with top universities such the USA.
(Im not being racist or anything, just wanna what people think and my opinion is that UK students should come first as these are UK universities with funding from UK taxpayers money)
If the better candidate is international I see no problem - you need to remember that plenty of uk students do the same in other countries. . .
Do you think its fair that in many top universities, such as LSE, Imperial, etc prefer to accept international students over Domestic students at a time where Domestic students are unable to compete at graduate level jobs when there international equivalent?

Do think its right for universities to say having international students is more beneficial to the Uk economy, when these internail students leave once they have passed, while Domestic students are struggling to get into degree courses which causes in the long-term falling qualified domestic workers?

Surely if the international students (whose university education is not subsidised by the government) leave England to work somewhere else after they graduate, that actually decreases competition for graduate places in England! There are too many graduates and not enought graduate places so I don't think there will be a fal in qualified domestic workers.

The universities can't keep creating more places because there is a rising demand to be a student. Don't forget it wasn't that long ago that there was a significantly smaller amount of universities. Also the government subsidises every home student that attends universiy, because our fees are less.

Domestic students will always be stuggling to get onto degree courses because there is a high demand and not enough places, but this is not because international students have taken their places, its because the government can't afford it and we are experiencing record highs of domestic university applications. University is about recruiting the most able so there will always be peope struggling to get in, or at least there should be. What about the masses of students who go to university that are undeserving and take it for granted. Target them not international students.

It must be true because you've seen them with your own eyes. You must be right! I want proof via a link to show how many international students are at the university. Also, if you see Chinese students at the university, they may not be from China, but instead UK citizens. The same applies if you see a lot of Arabs, Pakistani's etc... The students may not necessarily be from the middle east or Pakistan, but instead from the UK

If you didn't get a place it's your own fault. If you did, then well done. If your friends didn't get a place, it's their own fault for not being able to get in. I hear Liverpool Hope university wants them
Reply 91
It must be true because you've seen them with your own eyes. You must be right! I want proof via a link to show how many international students are at the university. Also, if you see Chinese students at the university, they may not be from China, but instead UK citizens. The same applies if you see a lot of Arabs, Pakistani's etc... The students may not necessarily be from the middle east or Pakistan, but instead from the UK

If you didn't get a place it's your own fault. If you did, then well done. If your friends didn't get a place, it's their own fault for not being able to get in. I hear Liverpool Hope university wants them

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/studentBrkdown.do
check that and look up lse its 68% overseas.
while imperials 38% . For lse dont u tink that very high ¬¬
Reply 92
Original post by Mann18
International students often get lower grade requirements.

sorry but this is definately not the case. international students get HIGHER grade requirements. dont know where you got that info from
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/studentBrkdown.do
check that and look up lse its 68% overseas.
while imperials 38% . For lse dont u tink that very high ¬¬

It fluctuates upon different subjects. Also, there may be the factor that the international students are better. Ever considered that? Also, you continuously mis-spell words on here, so it's no wonder you haven't got in(and it's simple words like should and think)
Reply 94
It fluctuates upon different subjects. Also, there may be the factor that the international students are better. Ever considered that? Also, you continuously mis-spell words on here, so it's no wonder you haven't got in(and it's simple words like should and think)

The point is that your are wrong and now u attack my spelling simply because u r ignorant :smile:
The point is that your are wrong and now u attack my spelling simply because u r ignorant :smile:

I attacked your spelling earlier as well. I don't think I'm "wrong" either. Out of interest what did you apply to and what grades did you get in your A levels?(and the subjects) Your point hasn't been refuted by me, but pretty much everyone else commenting as well. Is there a massive conspiracy against you?
Reply 96
I attacked your spelling earlier as well. I don't think I'm "wrong" either. Out of interest what did you apply to and what grades did you get in your A levels?(and the subjects) Your point hasn't been refuted by me, but pretty much everyone else commenting as well. Is there a massive conspiracy against you?

I dont think i have to give out my grades to you at all, you are wrong u tried to argue that there are quotas at university for overseas students from the university statistics its quite clear that there is no such thing as these quotas. Plus you have been trying to undermine by attacking my spelling to show that ur better than me and point is wrong, which it isn't as its a clear valid opinin which many agree with.
I dont think i have to give out my grades to you at all, you are wrong u tried to argue that there are quotas at university for overseas students from the university statistics its quite clear that there is no such thing as these quotas. Plus you have been trying to undermine by attacking my spelling to show that ur better than me and point is wrong, which it isn't as its a clear valid opinin which many agree with.

Many agree with? All of 7 people here agree with you. Also, if you're not showing your grades, I'll assume you've done ****, and hence not LSE material
Reply 98
Original post by wishwash
sorry but this is definately not the case. international students get HIGHER grade requirements. dont know where you got that info from

Sorry but this is definitely not the case. International students (often) get LOWER grade requirements. Don't know where you got that info from.

Is what I would say if I was just a douche.

I could say, I said "often" not "always" and obviously, sometimes, International Students will be asked for "higher" grades.

I will say though that I have seen people with AAB offers for AAA courses and they were International students. Correlation does not indicate causation of course, but that's not what we're saying, I'm just saying it happens. If we're saying that "36 points at IB is harder than AAA" then that's a different argument, and I'm not about to get into it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Mann18
Sorry but this is definitely not the case. International students (often) get LOWER grade requirements. Don't know where you got that info from.

Is what I would say if I was just a douche.

I could say, I said "often" not "always" and obviously, sometimes, International Students will be asked for "higher" grades.

I will say though that I have seen people with AAB offers for AAA courses and they were International students. Correlation does not indicate causation of course, but that's not what we're saying, I'm just saying it happens. If we're saying that "36 points at IB is harder than AAA" then that's a different argument, and I'm not about to get into it.

calm down, there's no need for name calling.

and of course IB is harder than A levels, i agree.
but i meant that two people from my college applied for the same course at the same uni. the international student got an AAB offer whereas the local student got a BBB offer. just saying. and i admit i didnt phrase my sentence right earlier on, i shouldve said often, and not always.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending