The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Katanagatari is pretty neat so far (episode 4). I love the animation style and the characters / story is getting more interesting :awesome:
Reply 61
Original post by November 11
Oh man, it's been forever since I watched Fist of the North Star. I don't even know if I have that on my hard drives or on DVD.

I remember watching this infrequently on VHS. It was one of those series that I would watch a few episodes of and then stop for a month or so until I had the opportunity to buy or rent the next batch. As such, it's something I'd like to revisit now that the internet has made everything so readily available. :smile:

As for what I have seen, give me a few minutes to flesh out the list on my profile page, which I left at "and other stuff" last night. :P

Quite the eclectic list, ranging from the old and new and spanning multiple genres, which is great to see. Many of the anime that I rate highly such as Lain, GITS SAC and more recently Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves are featured. I would definitely recommend watching Monster, based upon what you've liked. The pacing is a bit slow, given its length, but overall it's nothing short of excellent. To a lesser extent, Gungrave, FMA Brotherhood and Texhnolyze were all very good, in my opinion. Lastly, in terms of long-running mainstream shounen series, if you had to pick one, One Piece would be it, without a doubt. :smile:

Edit:

Original post by bill-e
Katanagatari is pretty neat so far (episode 4). I love the animation style and the characters / story is getting more interesting :awesome:

Yeah, it's a good series and I agree that the animation style, particularly the character design, was original and appealing. Given that White Fox's previous effort was Tears to Tiara, I wasn't sure whether they could adapt Take's character design as well as they did. I also really liked the BGM as well, one of the best I've heard from last year. One to marathon in the future. :yes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh dear... I feel a bit out of it because I'm not sure what anime's being discussed at the minute, but, does anyone like Kuragehime? XDDD
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Oh dear... I feel a bit out of it because I'm not sure what anime's being discussed at the minute, but, does anyone like Kuragehime? XDDD

We discuss whatever series we feel like, whenever we feel like it, since it's just a general all-round anime thread. :yes: So yeah, don't feel left out. I quite often post about obscure series, knowing full well that nobody else is going to reply, but if it spreads the word about the series then all is good. :biggrin:

Kuragehime is fun, I just finished watching it for the second time last week (I watched it as it was airing, then again at the university Anime society). The ending felt a bit rushed, but it was a good series overall. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
We discuss whatever series we feel like, whenever we feel like it, since it's just a general all-round anime thread. :yes: So yeah, don't feel left out. I quite often post about obscure series, knowing full well that nobody else is going to reply, but if it spreads the word about the series then all is good. :biggrin:

Kuragehime is fun, I just finished watching it for the second time last week (I watched it as it was airing, then again at the university Anime society). The ending felt a bit rushed, but it was a good series overall. :smile:

Oh yay XD I wasn't entirely sure about how it worked, like I wasn;t sure when you said "try not to go off topic" whether that meant about the anime or just anime in general. Oh, I see XD That's cool.

Yeah? I've actually not finished it yet, I still have a few episodes O_o Cuz I'm fairly slow but I am really enjoying it... I feel like it's going quite fast though, and there are only 11 episodes... but I know people want there to be a second season and everything, would you be interested in that too?
Reply 65

Kuragehime was one of my favourites from the last broadcast season (it's aimed at my demographic, after all :tongue:), although as AJ has already mentioned, the ending could have been better. :smile:

Oh, and welcome to the Anime Society. :biggrin:
Reply 66
I liked Kuragehime :smile: was nice and different although it didnt really feel like an ending :s-smilie: like there was more to come :hmpf:

I think ... I cant really remember too well but I liked it overall :smile:

Watched ep 9 of kimi ni todoke, most of it so far wasnt as good as the first series. :hmpf: They made all that progress before only for one interruption or person derailing things and being an arse throughout this second one :unimpressed: ****ing Kent:mad: but finally stuff has happened :cry2:
Reply 67
Original post by vin
Watched ep 9 of kimi ni todoke, most of it so far wasnt as good as the first series. :hmpf: They made all that progress before only for one interruption or person derailing things and being an arse throughout this second one :unimpressed: ****ing Kent:mad: but finally stuff has happened :cry2:

Kimi ni Todoke is symbolic of many of the shoujo that came before it. There's always someone that has to interfere with our destined couple. I'm holding off watching the second season until it finishes, but I'm glad to read that it's staying true to its formula. :giggle:
Reply 68

a couple of times yesturday in the library Id lose focus and not know what to write for a while but this song helped me focus and think:puppyeyes:
Original post by Aiko
Kimi ni Todoke is symbolic of many of the shoujo that came before it. There's always someone that has to interfere with our destined couple. I'm holding off watching the second season until it finishes, but I'm glad to read that it's staying true to its formula. :giggle:

good idea to wait really, the interruptions are less annoying that way Id imagine:s-smilie:
Oh yay XD I wasn't entirely sure about how it worked, like I wasn;t sure when you said "try not to go off topic" whether that meant about the anime or just anime in general. Oh, I see XD That's cool.

Yeah? I've actually not finished it yet, I still have a few episodes O_o Cuz I'm fairly slow but I am really enjoying it... I feel like it's going quite fast though, and there are only 11 episodes... but I know people want there to be a second season and everything, would you be interested in that too?

Nah, anime/manga is the topic. You'd only be going off topic if discussion switched to something completely unrelated, but we have another thread for chat anyway. :yes:

I've spoken to people before about whether or not Kuragehime should get a sequel, and I'm not sure what to think myself. While the ending was rushed, it did tie up a lot of the things that were going on in the series (with the big exception of the romances).
Reply 70
Kaglywoo said I should watch Antique Bakery. Opinions?
Reply 71
Original post by vin

a couple of times yesturday in the library Id lose focus and not know what to write for a while but this song helped me focus and think:puppyeyes:

Hajime's BGM is nostalgic and a definite motivator. As you know, I really like this opening too:

http://www.box.net/shared/577l0bk20g

Can't get enough of it. :redface:

good idea to wait really, the interruptions are less annoying that way Id imagine:s-smilie:

Aha, true. :tongue:
Original post by Juno
Kaglywoo said I should watch Antique Bakery. Opinions?

It is a brilliant series. :yes: In fact, it's the only title I can claim to have watched the anime, the live action film and read the manga for. :o:
Reply 73

It is a brilliant series. :yes: In fact, it's the only title I can claim to have watched the anime, the live action film and read the manga for. :o:

:s: He told me it was yaoi
Original post by Juno
:s: He told me it was yaoi

:facepalm: I took part in this discussion on facebook yesterday. Antique Bakery is not yaoi. It has one major gay character (out of four), and a few gay minor characters, and it takes a look at the stereotypical gay lifestyle in some episodes. Anyone who'd seen past the first episode would realize there was more to it than that, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
:facepalm: I took part in this discussion on facebook yesterday. Antique Bakery is not yaoi. It has one major gay character (out of four), and a few gay minor characters, and it takes a look at the stereotypical gay lifestyle in some episodes. Anyone who'd seen past the first episode would realize there was more to it than that, though.

Something of a coincidence that you were discussing this series yesterday. :tongue: But no, Antique Bakery is not BL, it's shonen-ai (i.e. doesn't portray explicit content). :smile:
Original post by Aiko
Something of a coincidence that you were discussing this series yesterday. :tongue: But no, Antique Bakery is not BL, it's shonen-ai (i.e. doesn't portray explicit content). :smile:

Is it even shonen-ai though? That's what we're getting at here. I would say its a slice of life/drama that happens to contain shonen-ai, since as I've already mentioned only one of four main characters is gay! As my friend put it yesterday, does having one character die in a car crash make a series a survival horror?
Reply 77
Original post by Aiko
Hajime's BGM is nostalgic and a definite motivator. As you know, I really like this opening too:

http://www.box.net/shared/577l0bk20g

Can't get enough of it. :redface:

Aha, true. :tongue:

that one :coma: it's on at the point im watching, so cool :drool:
Reply 78
Is it even shonen-ai though? That's what we're getting at here. I would say its a slice of life/drama that happens to contain shonen-ai, since as I've already mentioned only one of four main characters is gay! As my friend put it yesterday, does having one character die in a car crash make a series a survival horror?

Regardless, the shounen-ai aspect is obviously there, however minimal or prevalent you consider it to be. One must bear in mind that there's a significant difference between BL and shounen-ai in that the latter need only imply relationships of a homoerotic nature.

Original post by vin
that one :coma: it's on at the point im watching, so cool :drool:

On the topic of revisiting anime, if it weren't for New Challenger, I would have definitely considered watching Hajime no Ippo again. In fact, I may just. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
Kuragehime was one of my favourites from the last broadcast season (it's aimed at my demographic, after all :tongue:), although as AJ has already mentioned, the ending could have been better. :smile:

Oh, and welcome to the Anime Society. :biggrin:

Really? So it's likely I'll be disappointed with the ending? Ah well... It's easily quite hilarious though and so easy to watch.

Thank you =D

Nah, anime/manga is the topic. You'd only be going off topic if discussion switched to something completely unrelated, but we have another thread for chat anyway. :yes:

I've spoken to people before about whether or not Kuragehime should get a sequel, and I'm not sure what to think myself. While the ending was rushed, it did tie up a lot of the things that were going on in the series (with the big exception of the romances).

Oh, that makes sense XD Ah yeah, I saw.

Yeah, the romances was the main things that people seemed to have a problem with I think. But eh, I think I'll try and watch some of it today anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending