The Student Room Group

The people protesting today are uneducated riff-raff

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellie_flower
My mother is protesting today. She has a PHD and is head of her department at an extremely good university that most people would do a lot to get into. If there are cuts she is going to lose half of her department, and despite the fact that she has a crucial job within the university, her entire department might be axed.

So shut up.

Surely if it was a good department at a good university, then efforts would be made to sustain it? You can't simply suggest that her whole department would be axed at a reputable university; they are popular and thus would survive with the £9000 fees (assuming 9k as you said extremely good university).

It sounds like its an unpopular department, else people would fund it by being on the course, therefore it's not really the Governments fault?

At the end of the day, every time there's cuts (which obviously the public won't like) Labour jump on the bandwagon and protest, but if they hadn't continued such massive overspending during the banking crisis etc then we wouldn't have this massive deficit, and therefore wouldn't have to make these cuts.
Reply 21
Original post by Concept186
Apparently it's actually cheaper to fire these missiles than to maintain and eventually decommission them. Besides which I think stopping a madman from gleefully oppressing and murdering lots of people is probably a little more important than our financial problems in the grand scheme of things. "Oh no, we're going to have to cut back a little more! I'd rather let these people be massacred." Yeah.

This coming from someone who voted Labour and thoroughly dislikes this government in general, gotta agree with them here.

Don't agree with that, because you fire one, and you have to replace it don't you!
We'll always have a set arsenal of the missiles to maintain, so that cost will remain at a constant value.

Anyway, as for the OP. What an idiot I think will be the overwhelming opinion :wink:
Reply 22
Looks like some idiots are trying to trash shops in Oxford street
Original post by Aj12

Topshop is too expensive anyway....meh.
To the OP, you're a ball of fun, aren't you.

The people on the protest represent the millions of people who work in the public sector. These are people who work for the PUBLIC. That's you, that's me.

Try telling the person who serves you in the library how uneducated they are, or the surgeon who operates on you, or the fireman who rescues you from a burning building.

You ****.
Reply 25
Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal
To the OP, you're a ball of fun, aren't you.

The people on the protest represent the millions of people who work in the public sector. These are people who work for the PUBLIC. That's you, that's me.

Try telling the person who serves you in the library how uneducated they are, or the surgeon who operates on you, or the fireman who rescues you from a burning building.

You ****.

You don't need to be educated to be a librarian ffs.
Original post by Concept186
Apparently it's actually cheaper to fire these missiles than to maintain and eventually decommission them. Besides which I think stopping a madman from gleefully oppressing and murdering lots of people is probably a little more important than our financial problems in the grand scheme of things. "Oh no, we're going to have to cut back a little more! I'd rather let these people be massacred." Yeah.

This coming from someone who voted Labour and thoroughly dislikes this government in general, gotta agree with them here.

Really? There are human rights issues all over the world which our government don't intervene in, because it doesn't directly affect us... Oh, unless there's oil involved.

Personally, I'm for the war in Libya - it's a really difficult one for the government, as you pointed out. However, I don't think many of the protestors are quite as forgiving and I can see where they're coming from.
Original post by isaqyi

Actually, a lot of librarians have degrees.
Reply 28
Original post by Aj12

Did a pretty good job. Forza Black Bloc
Original post by isaqyi
Because when Gadaffi's gone and we have stable access to oil contracts in Libya, that will help our economy in the long-run.

You hope.

Nobody seems to have factored in Russia here.
Original post by isaqyi

Have you been in a library?

How well educated are you?

Do you have a PGCE? Are you an expert in heart surgery?
Original post by LornaSandison1
Really? There are human rights issues all over the world which our government don't intervene in, because it doesn't directly affect us... Oh, unless there's oil involved.

Personally, I'm for the war in Libya - it's a really difficult one for the government, as you pointed out. However, I don't think many of the protestors are quite as forgiving and I can see where they're coming from.

So the government are intervening for selfish reasons. I had a similar argument about the TV show The Secret Millionaire with a friend of mine. She was disgusted by it, going on about how "if these millionaires really cared they'd just give the money away without the TV show". I agreed with her to an extent, but as the end result is the same (someone disadvantaged getting the financial help they need) I still considered the show a good thing. Ditto here. The government are probably getting involved for selfish reasons, the cynic in me says. But if the end result is to help stop a madman massacring people, I'm still for it.

Tl;dr - I may not respect their reasons for doing it, but I can understand them, and I agree with what they're doing if not their reasons for doing it.
(edited 13 years ago)
People piss, moan, bitch and whine no matter what happens. If something is good, it is not good enough. If it is very good, it is too good. If it is crap, then it should be good.

When decisions have to be made, inevitably someone loses out. In the Empire, protestors are discreetly murdered.
Reply 33
The OP, probably a right wing fool, was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, went to private school, god forbid going to state school, don't want to get infected with a horrible disease now do we?

Those people protesting, are the people who serve society.

The fireman who will put his life on the line just to save your ungrateful right wing arse, if ever you are in a fire.

The doctors that will go out of their way to help you when you are in hospital.

The people who keep this country running, without these people the country will grind to a halt.

I suppose though, the little Thatcherans, Cameron, Haguey and Osbourny wouldn't give a flying damn what happens to people, for they don't know the meaning of the word poor.
I have only this to say to protestors making sweepingly generalised statements like 'no cuts':

Come up with a reasoned plan representing a better alternative.

This is particularly applicable to anyone protesting about nuclear power.
Reply 35
Quite. The "educated" just run the country into the ground or are corrupt. Or usually, both!
Lol they're smashing the Ritz.
Reply 37
Original post by Genocidal
In all honesty I pay no attention to these silly protests. They are dull and boring and then forgotten about more often than not a week later.

Quite right, Sir. Let's carry on being sheep.
Reply 38
Whats with the Signs calling for a general strike? They are aware those are illegal now? You cannot strike for anything non work related.

Its a shame to see these idiots in Oxford street. At least the majority are being peaceful and just doing their march and rally.
Reply 39
Original post by Aj12
Whats with the Signs calling for a general strike? They are aware those are illegal now? You cannot strike for anything non work related.

Its a shame to see these idiots in Oxford street. At least the majority are being peaceful and just doing their march and rally.

The people who make the laws are the problem!!!!

Can you not see what a corrupt country we now live in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending