The Student Room Group

The people protesting today are uneducated riff-raff

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
"riff-raff"? The OP is either a troll playing up to the tory stereotype, or else he's Boris Johnson reincarnate.
Reply 41
Original post by morris743
The people who make the laws are the problem!!!!

Can you not see what a corrupt country we now live in?

No not really. I am quite happy with my life and the way things in this country work. Smashing windows is hardly going to achieve anything
Reply 42
Original post by Folie
"riff-raff"? The OP is either a troll playing up to the tory stereotype, or else he's Boris Johnson reincarnate.

Boris is the only tory I like.
Reply 43
Original post by Aj12
No not really. I am quite happy with my life and the way things in this country work. Smashing windows is hardly going to achieve anything

Ah yes, sorry, it is only when your life is affected you start to give a ****. Carry on, I just hope for you this lovely smiley capatalist society which takes advantage of the majority for the benefit of the minority keeps on trucking along :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 44
Ah yes, sorry, it is only when your life is affected you start to give a ****. Carry on, I just hope for you this lovely smiley capatalist society which takes advantage of the majority for the benefit of the minority keeps on trucking along :smile: :smile: :smile:

Works for me. This is hardly the best system but its the only one that works :cool:
Reply 45
Boris is the only tory I like.

I can't say I agree with him much, (although no less than any other Tory) but he is quite entertaining :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by isaqyi
You don't need to be educated to be a librarian ffs.

Depends what library. Local ones you don't but others you need a post. degree from Oxbridge.
Reply 47
Original post by Prime Suspect
I have only this to say to protestors making sweepingly generalised statements like 'no cuts':

Come up with a reasoned plan representing a better alternative.

This is particularly applicable to anyone protesting about nuclear power.

There are alternatives, obviously it just suits you not to look for them.
Apparently someone with a Can of Coca Cola just shouted down with Globalisation....the fail is just....wow.
Reply 49
Everyone is essentially selfish and protesting (or in some cases happy) about the cuts because it either harms them or benefits them.

Some corporations are happy as the rate has been cut by 2%.
Others are not happy since they will now have to pay 9k a year for tuition.
Others not happy because they have or at risk of losing their jobs.
Others are concerned about their pensions.
Those who are already higher rate tax payers, want cuts rather than higher taxes since its benefits them.

Does anyone care about the overall benefit for the country or the masses? Long term or short term? No one cares unless its aligned to their own interests.

/rant
Reply 50
Original post by Zerforax
Everyone is essentially selfish and protesting (or in some cases happy) about the cuts because it either harms them or benefits them.

Those who are already higher rate tax payers, want cuts rather than higher taxes since its benefits them.

Does anyone care about the overall benefit for the country or the masses? Long term or short term? No one cares unless its aligned to their own interests.

/rant

BRAVO!

I'm only young, but when I was growing up I do remember a slightly less selfish Britain. Only slightly, but it was there. It has very quickly taken a turn for the worse. ME ME ME. I am part of it. It sickens me.
Reply 51
Original post by Will Lucky
Apparently someone with a Can of Coca Cola just shouted down with Globalisation....the fail is just....wow.

LOL!
Original post by Concept186
So the government are intervening for selfish reasons. I had a similar argument about the TV show The Secret Millionaire with a friend of mine. She was disgusted by it, going on about how "if these millionaires really cared they'd just give the money away without the TV show". I agreed with her to an extent, but as the end result is the same (someone disadvantaged getting the financial help they need) I still considered the show a good thing. Ditto here. The government are probably getting involved for selfish reasons, the cynic in me says. But if the end result is to help stop a madman massacring people, I'm still for it.

Tl;dr - I may not respect their reasons for doing it, but I can understand them, and I agree with what they're doing if not their reasons for doing it.

Yes, all well and good in the short-term and if allied forces manage to get rid of Gadaffi and establish a stable democracy. But the government doesn't seem to have considered the consequences of what might happen if other countries decide to take Gadaffi's side, because then, there would be a hell of a lot more massacre than is currently going on.
Original post by Zerforax

/rant

Isn't that human nature?! Don't tell me that if you lost your job you would think, "well, that's OK, because in the long term things will be fine!"

FYI, my Dad lost his job last year due to government cuts under the emergency budget and my Mum's job is now threatened as well. If she loses hers, then we're screwed as a family and I probably won't even be able to make it to university this year under the £3k fees. Excuse me for being selfish.
Reply 54
Original post by LornaSandison1
Isn't that human nature?! Don't tell me that if you lost your job you would think, "well, that's OK, because in the long term things will be fine!"

FYI, my Dad lost his job last year due to government cuts under the emergency budget and my Mum's job is now threatened as well. If she loses hers, then we're screwed as a family and I probably won't even be able to make it to university this year under the £3k fees. Excuse me for being selfish.

My dad lost his job in the private sector TWO YEARS ago when this all started, and hasn't been able to get a job on his old salary. We struggled. Now the public sector can take their turn.
Reply 55
Original post by ellie_flower
her department is based around further education for those, who, as a result of poverty, lack of information or because of immigration and persecution, were unable to doa degree in the first place.

The government doesn't consider such people worthy of doing degrees, so they do not help my mothers department to cover their costs, and thus, it will most likely have to be cut.

Let me guess, its the Department for Adult Education or something along those lines? My university's cutting it too, mainly because it produces no money or employability for the university or students, performs poorly in the RAE and is nothing but a burden as far as resources go. Better to spend it on departments which continue to attract investment for research and produce top quality graduates who actually do proper degrees instead of learning how to waffle on a powerpoint for 3 years.
Reply 56
Original post by isaqyi
My dad lost his job in the private sector TWO YEARS ago when this all started, and hasn't been able to get a job on his old salary. We struggled. Now the public sector can take their turn.

isaqui, yesterday.
Reply 57
Original post by isaqyi
Oh no, my dad has another job now and we didn't suffer, per se. We did however have some very worrying times as my parents worried that they would lose our 4-bedroom house in the country. I did not resort to begging.

Lol, whoosh.
Reply 58
I wish the police had a bit more power in this country to stamp down on stupidity tbh. Start with some tear gas to disperse those smashing windows and forcing shops to close(the sheer idiotic nature of this in terms of how much it is harming the economy seems to have passed them), proceed to shooting people in the limbs off rooftops, start arresting the ones vandalising property and sentence them to sweeping streets and hard labour. The wannabe anarchists have had nothing to do for so long they are bored, a bit of community service and reality check will wake them up.
the title this buffoon has used simply sums up the irony of this thread ....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending