The Student Room Group

10 A*?

I was just wondering what percentage of candidates sitting GCSE's achieve 10 straight A stars? Did anyone here achieve all A*'s?

Scroll to see replies

I did, but did short course RS so it's more like 9 and a half..
Reply 2
Getting 10 A* doesn't necessarily mean you have straight A*; a lot of people do more than 10 GCSEs.

I would imagine quite a lot of people nearly get straight A*, as it's quite easy just to drop a couple of marks in 1 exam and get (for example) 11 A* and an A. I've never actually met anyone with more A* than me (12), but this being TSR, I am fully prepared to be proven wrong :awesome:

Edit: What the ****? What was wrong with this? I... I apologise for getting 12 A*? Listen, I'm not some private-school kid who was spoon-fed everything and regurgitated it in an exam; I do have 12 A* (Track screenshot on my profile if you want general evidence of my academics, but I'm not exactly going to go to the extent of scanning in my exam certificates), and I go to a state comprehensive and taught myself the majority of my qualifications while also having two jobs and being autistic. I would really love to know what there was in this post that 19 whole people took exception to.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Not many when looking at this as a whole country but school-wise, there will be differences (either quite common or very rare depending on the school itself whether independent, selective or state). I got 10A*s but not all since my school chose to do a lot (too much imo) of GCSEs.
Reply 4
Correct me if I'm wrong but around 45% of students DO NOT even get 5 A-Cs in their GCSEs including C in Maths and English. And not every student does 10 GCSEs. I'd say about 3% get 10 A* or more.
Original post by Nayred
Correct me if I'm wrong but around 45% of students DO NOT even get 5 A-Cs in their GCSEs including C in Maths and English. And not every student does 10 GCSEs. I'd say about 3% get 10 A* or more.

Yeah you can't use TSR to gather your statistics.
Reply 6
I'm predicted 8 and 2 A's if that counts:smile:?
I got 10A*s, but that wasn't straight A*s, I got an A in English Lit.
Most people at my school did 9 and a half GCSEs, but I did full course Ethics and then Statistics, meaning I got half more than people who were doing 10 and then short course Ethics.
We all had to do a DT though :s-smilie:

I don't actually think my school did that many GCSEs compared to people on here/people I've met at summer schools and Uni interviews etc. Although after a certain point it gets a bit silly...I mean, realistically, I could have done without Textiles and Statistics...so why would anyone really NEED like 13 A*s? :s-smilie:
Original post by bensocks

The government should publish these stats online!
Reply 9
Original post by bensocks
I was just wondering what percentage of candidates sitting GCSE's achieve 10 straight A stars? Did anyone here achieve all A*'s?

I achieved 10 A* but not all my grades were A* I also got a B in German ...
Reply 10
Original post by dfgdtdrmtdnrtd
Yh, but you cheated.

I read you get extra time for exams, a laptop and can even walk away from her exam if it gets too much and return later without losing time!

How can this be allowed surely exams should b fair for everyone and if you can't cope then that should be reflected in your score?

You or anyone else can't just walk out of a job and return later or have extra time on work so why should she in school. And is it really fair you get all this extra help for being special when truly special people geniuses don't get extra tutors or lessons etc. Shouldn't we help the smart not the mentally disturb

Btw I got 12A*s but unlike you I never cheated and what's more I am not a *******.

You said that exams should be fair, and so for Kerily getting a laptop or whatever you PRESUME they got, that made the exam fairer as they could then perform the same as everyone else without being hindered at all.
My brother's are dyslexic and therefore have problems writing legibly and coherently, but I can guarantee that they are far cleverer than many who can spell and get their thoughts down on paper.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by kerily
Getting 10 A* doesn't necessarily mean you have straight A*; a lot of people do more than 10 GCSEs.

I would imagine quite a lot of people nearly get straight A*, as it's quite easy just to drop a couple of marks in 1 exam and get (for example) 11 A* and an A. I've never actually met anyone with more A* than me (12), but this being TSR, I am fully prepared to be proven wrong :awesome:

That's quite impressive. I got 8 A*'s and 3A's.
Add a poll? Although I suppose the people with fewer A*s (or none at all) might not even look at this thread, so your results will be skewed.

I got 12 A*s plus an A in short course ICT.
Reply 13
Original post by Nayred

According to statistics 50% of students don't achieve 5 A*'s - Cs in their GCSEs including a C in Maths and English. I was one of the lucky ones who got more than 5 A* - C's despise having the epithet of being an 'average student.' My school is one of the worst schools in my borough yet somehow are school managed to have '93% of its students getting 5 or more A* - C', I believe this statistic is complete bull****.
I got 12A*s and an A. Not sure how common it is, but I don't think the amount of people with that percentage of A*s on TSR is representative.
straight A* *****. There used to be a site called gradeinfo which told you what percentage of the population would achieve a certain standard at GCSE. It didn't work too well at the extremes. According to the site around 1% got straight A*s I think.
Original post by LornaSandison1
What the hell? That's ridiculous. Being autistic is not cheating - it's characterized by social problems, not being helped at school. If you get 12A*s, you're clever, regardless of whether you're autistic, dyslexic or whatever. Unfortunately, getting 12A*s also doesn't stop you from being an ***hole.

Just to burst your bubble, I got 12 A*s and an A. I'm not autistic and I go to an fairly average state school.

Wow! Out of curiosity- what subjects did you take?
It is possible, but I think a real success comes with achieving and exceeding your target grades.
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
Wow! Out of curiosity- what subjects did you take?

Thank you :smile:

English Language, English Literature, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Religious Studies (that was my A), IT, French, Spanish, German and Italian.
Original post by kerily

Someone at my school got 14 A*s at GCSE and another guy got 10 A*s plus 5 As at AS level in the same year.

Quick Reply

Latest