The Student Room Group

Maths A-level: Want to start an online study group? (e.g. through Skype)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not actually studying Maths but just wanted to say this is a really cool idea! I wonder if it would work for Chemistry/Biology/History? :ahee:
Original post by dannyking

Princess: I can do logs, I'd be happy to walk you through it. I need the revision myself!

Just seen your message now
:smile:
thanks for wanting to help
but handed it in on wednesday
Reply 42
Original post by hrickards
72/75 :| Okay for a tired performance on a Thursday evening I suppose

That's awesome! Which paper was that?

Original post by yesioo
Not actually studying Maths but just wanted to say this is a really cool idea! I wonder if it would work for Chemistry/Biology/History? :ahee:

Thanks! I don't see why not... start a thread & see what happens :smile: I think it'd be especially easy for History, since you can talk about the syllabus a lot easier, without having to draw diagrams, etc.

Original post by princess271
Just seen your message now
:smile:
thanks for wanting to help
but handed it in on wednesday

Ah sorry princess! Any other topics you're wanting to go over?
Anyone want to go through differential equations and maybe all of M1 in the next couple of days?
Reply 44
Original post by gunmetalpanda
Anyone want to go through differential equations and maybe all of M1 in the next couple of days?

I'm up for differentials, which modules in particular did you want to cover? (All of c1-4 cover differentiation).

Can't do M1 since I don't study it :smile:
I'm up for differentials, which modules in particular did you want to cover? (All of c1-4 cover differentiation).

Can't do M1 since I don't study it :smile:

I'm not sure about modules since we have it a little different in CIE but this is what I have to cover for Math and Further Math Diff. equations:

P3 - the A2 part of general maths
formulate a simple statement involving a rate of change as a differential equation, including the introduction if necessary of a constant of proportionality;
find by integration a general form of solution for a first order differential equation in which the variables are separable;
use an initial condition to find a particular solution;
interpret the solution of a differential equation in the context of a problem being modelled by the equation.

Further Pure Math
recall the meaning of the terms ‘complementary function’ and ‘particular integral’ in the context of linear differential equations, and recall that the general solution is the sum of the complementary function and a particular integral;
find the complementary function for a second order linear differential equation with constant coefficients;
recall the form of, and find, a particular integral for a second order linear differential equation in the cases where a polynomial or ebx or a cos px + b sin px is a suitable form, and in other simple cases find the appropriate coefficient(s) given a suitable form of particular integral;
use a substitution to reduce a given differential equation to a second order linear equation with constant coefficients;
use initial conditions to find a particular solution to a differential equation, and interpret a solution in terms of a problem modelled by a differential equation.

Let me know which parts coincide..
Reply 46

:colondollar: The Edexcel Jan 2006 one posted earlier for everyone to do.

Thanks! I don't see why not... start a thread & see what happens :smile: I think it'd be especially easy for History, since you can talk about the syllabus a lot easier, without having to draw diagrams, etc.

Ah sorry princess! Any other topics you're wanting to go over?

for what? do you mean maths?
OP whats your skype?

I'm doing C1 C2 S1 edexcel
Reply 49
Lets also use this group link below to study the maths topics. :biggrin:
http://www.twiddla.com/511533
Original post by Rishz
Lets also use this group link below to study the maths topics. :biggrin:
http://www.twiddla.com/511533

Good stuff :cyber:
Reply 51

Good stuff :cyber:

Lol yeah, was that drawing urs? :tongue:
Original post by Rishz
Lol yeah, was that drawing urs? :tongue:

Which one?
Reply 53

Which one?

Oh there was an image drawn in that group link, so i thought u might have drawn it :smile:
Reply 54
Anybody here OCR? i'd be happy to do Edexcel on the parts where the syllabus is the same :smile:
Reply 55
Hey guys I have an idea. Don't you'll think that those with blackberries can also add each other pin numbers? If you're working through a very difficult problem you might not want to wait until the group meeting so you can bb someone on the study list. A nice way to share extra questions too.
Reply 56
Hey guys,

Just to let you know of a useful resource: math.stackexchange.com

You can ask any maths question here and you'll get an aswer very quickly usually. It's mostly for very advanced maths, but they don't mind people asking about basic topics. I use it all the time.

E.g. check out my question I just asked here... feel free to help if you know the answer!

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/29451/what-am-i-misunderstanding-about-this-basic-integral-question-area-under-a-curv
Reply 57
Original post by PickledSausages
OP whats your skype?

I'm doing C1 C2 S1 edexcel

Hey Pickled, welcome! I'm d.a.l.king on Skype (although I won't be on much until Sunday.

Very happy to revise C1 & C2 with you from then on!
Reply 58
This sounds like an excellent idea!

Am I too late to join in? This sounds very beneficial and I would be extremely interested in partaking in these skype sessions, if it was alright with everybody else?
So what do you guys think?

* Are you all OK to use Skype?
* Shall we meet once a week? If so, when? How about Sundays?
* What topic shall we start with? Something from Core 1?

Most people who are interesting can easily get Skype if they don't have it.

If by meet you mean meet in real life, remember that people live all over the country so it will be hard to meet every week. Also, Sunday is a bad day for travelling since all the trains take longer due to Engineering works. If you mean meet on skype once a week, yes you can set certain dates, but just meet whenever people are online. Different people will be online at different times, so if you catch someone online on a Tuesday night as supposed to Sunday afternoon, why not do some more discussion then.

Start with whatever you feel most comfortable with. Remember that different people will be at different stages so there's no point somebody doing C4 and M2 for example, being in the C1 conversation.

Original post by purplefrog
anyone interested in skyping C4 with me - send me a pm...
my board's topics in C4 are:

1. Differentiating trigonometric functions :smile:
2. Integration (by parts and by substitution) :die:
3. Parametric equations :smile:
4. Vectors :frown:
5. The binomial expansion (using negative powers and fractional powers) :biggrin:
6. Rational functions (partial fractions) :s
7. Differential equations (need to cover in school)
8. Curves defined implicitly (need to cover in school)
9. Scalar products of vectors (need to cover in school)

hopefully there is some overlap with other boards too :smile:

I will be happy to help you with C4. And you OP with all your exams (except decision, I didn't do it sorry). PM me and I will give you my MSN. I have a skype but I don't ever log on so will need to find my details. I have completed A-level Mathematics and will be happy to cover all the Core's and whatever I remember from S1 and M1.

PM me and i'll talk to you first on MSN/TSR PM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending