The Student Room Group

Am I weird for not wanting kids?

I desire women, and would like sex, but I don't want any kids. This is somehwat contradictory and the concept of having along term relationship and just using condoms all the time seems a bit unnatural. So what is right, my mind or my natural desires? I also think a baby will be miserable and I won't be able to afford it.
Am I sabotaging happiness or just being rational to focus on other dreams? Also, is it a bit messed up to just reach a point of feeling ****, and then have a kid in the hope they are happier, probably passing on your own ****ed upness?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Loads of people don't want kids, its not a problem, or particularly weird.
There is the pill..

But agreed that condom sex is a lot worse. And it's natural for a young guy not to want kids. Your mind will probably change in 10-15 years time.
Lots of men, and women for that matter, don't want kids. Not every childless couple is infertile.

Your views may change when you are older/stable, but if not, still normal. Just try not to end up marrying some baby-crazy lady if you don't want babies!
The majority of people in their late teens don't want kids or just haven't thought about it yet. Some change their minds, but it's not weird to not want them ever.
Reply 5
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
There is the pill..

But agreed that condom sex is a lot worse. And it's natural for a young guy not to want kids. Your mind will probably change in 10-15 years time.

I'm 30.
Original post by Chillaxer
I'm 30.

Oh, I see. Maybe tell us that because we assume you're in your late teens/early 20's on TSR :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by Teao the Cat
Lots of men, and women for that matter, don't want kids. Not every childless couple is infertile.

Your views may change when you are older/stable, but if not, still normal. Just try not to end up marrying some baby-crazy lady if you don't want babies!

See, if I was in a couple, as I say, it seems a bit weird touse contraception all the time, almost like the only natural way of not having a kid is not being in a relationship and just ****ing, to put it bluntly. I am older, but stability something of an uphill struggle.
Reply 8
Oh, I see. Maybe tell us that because we assume you're in your late teens/early 20's on TSR :dontknow:

I was a matureish student when I joined so that's why I use it.
Reply 9
I'm 30.

I salute you sir - too many manic depressives having kids and turning them into manic depressives.
Reply 10
Nope, kids aren't everyone's cup of tea - they're certainly not mine. You don't have to conform to society's expectations.

My mum's friend is approaching 50 with no kids although she's married, and she's very happy with her life. It was what she wanted.
Reply 11
There are plenty of people who dont want kids and these days i guess its not seen as unnnatural because we are no longer driven by just reproduction, reproduction, reproduction like we were once upon a time. Just do in life what makes you happy and dont worry about what anyone else thinks
Reply 12
See, if I was in a couple, as I say, it seems a bit weird touse contraception all the time, almost like the only natural way of not having a kid is not being in a relationship and just ****ing, to put it bluntly. I am older, but stability something of an uphill struggle.

Cant you get the snip?

Although i would recommend getting it reversible just in case, one day there's the tiniest chance you might change your mind. Better to have that option than not
You're not wierd for not wanting kids, some people do and some don't. Who knows? You might change your mind later on.
Reply 14
There is the pill..

Thing is about that, I don't get how it works. Will it be bad for her hormonally, is it risk for me when I go in there, is it a risk for her future fertility etc?

I had a one night thing with a girl who used morning after pill, and I never felt weird about abortion before, but even that creeped me a bit. Becasue it felt like however early on it was, a life had been stopped. It's sort of odd to have a baby you don't want aslo though so that is a very difficult ethical dilemma.
Nope not weird. I like babies for like half an hour when there giggling and being really cute but after that I start to get a bit bored. Personally I don't think I could handle the responsibility, I'd love it and stuff but I probably couldn't give it the home it deserved. So your not the only one that feels this way.

Uselong term contraceptive: stuff like the implant and the coil doesn't disrupt the sex! All depends on the willingness of the girlfriend/fiancee/wife, of course!
Reply 17
Original post by Lexi99
Cant you get the snip?

Although i would recommend getting it reversible just in case, one day there's the tiniest chance you might change your mind. Better to have that option than not

No, don't want it. I only like natural contraception, don't know whjy , I'm not catholic or anything but it's just the way I feel.
Reply 18
I don't want kids. I know other people who don't want kids who are around 30. As far as I see it, it's perfectly normal.
If you're sure, you could always get a vasectomy. No need to use contraception after that.
Reply 19
Not weird at all, I don't want kids myself and I know a lot of friends who hate kids / don't want any either. Some do, some don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending