The Student Room Group

10 A*?

Scroll to see replies

Got 11a*s and an A in English Language:angry: Was really disappointed
Original post by kbountra
Someone at my school got 14 A*s at GCSE and another guy got 10 A*s plus 5 As at AS level in the same year.

Wow, that's an achievement and a half! I couldn't even manage to get 5 As in my AS levels!!
Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks
Got 11a*s and an A in English Language:angry: Was really disappointed

Haha, I don't think you need to worry too much. I know what you mean though!
Original post by LornaSandison1
What the hell? That's ridiculous. Being autistic is not cheating - it's characterized by social problems, not being helped at school. If you get 12A*s, you're clever, regardless of whether you're autistic, dyslexic or whatever. Unfortunately, getting 12A*s also doesn't stop you from being an ***hole.

Just to burst your bubble, I got 12 A*s and an A. I'm not autistic and I go to an fairly average state school.

I hate to burst your bubble but getting 12 A* does not mean you are clever. It just means you are good at taking exams and/or worker hard.
Wow, that's an achievement and a half! I couldn't even manage to get 5 As in my AS levels!!

Yeah that guy was a bit of a genius- he ended up with 8 As at A2 if you are interested to know. His grandfather was also a former president of Mexico so it is possible that he bribed OCR or something :wink:
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
4 Languages! I am even more impressed now- I'm struggling to cope with one (German)!

14 GCSES!? That is ridiculous. Although he/she must have been extremely intellegent to cope with it all what on earth is he going to do with 14 GCSEs?? A-Levels and GCSEs in the same year though- NOW I'm impressed.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article93815.ece
I managed all A*s, however in 9 subjects as that's the most anyone took at the school I went. It didn't take an awful lot tbh. On TSR, most likely the percentage of people who achieve all A*s will be far greater in comparison to the percentage nationally.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
4 Languages! I am even more impressed now- I'm struggling to cope with one (German)!

14 GCSES!? That is ridiculous. Although he/she must have been extremely intellegent to cope with it all what on earth is he going to do with 14 GCSEs?? A-Levels and GCSEs in the same year though- NOW I'm impressed.

It helps if you enjoy them :smile:
Original post by methusaleh
I hate to burst your bubble but getting 12 A* does not mean you are clever. It just means you are good at taking exams and/or worker hard.

It's funny how studies have shown that people with good GCSEs do the best in their degrees then, and at the best universities, isn't it? Or are you telling me that you don't have to be clever to get a degree now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kbountra
Yeah that guy was a bit of a genius- he ended up with 8 As at A2 if you are interested to know. His grandfather was also a former president of Mexico so it is possible that he bribed OCR or something :wink:

I'm sure he was just damned clever. :tongue:
Reply 30
I got 12 A*s but one of those is made up of two short course subjects that I don't think really count...
What the hell? That's ridiculous. Being autistic is not cheating - it's characterized by social problems, not being helped at school. If you get 12A*s, you're clever, regardless of whether you're autistic, dyslexic or whatever. Unfortunately, getting 12A*s also doesn't stop you from being an ***hole.

Just to burst your bubble, I got 12 A*s and an A. I'm not autistic and I go to an fairly average state school.

I think the main problem with aspergers is that they share a lot of traits with Dyslexics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
I'm currently doing 13 GCSE's (two being short course) and I'm achieving in my modules and C/W straight A*'s :smile:

And just out of interest is anyone else doing an A-level on top of their GCSE?
(edited 13 years ago)
It's funny how studies have shown that people with good GCSEs do the best in their degrees then, and at the best universities, isn't it? Or are you telling me that you don't have to be clever to get a degree now?

People who are clever are more likely to get good grades, but people who get good grades are not necessarily brighter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I understand i may not in the best to put this statement down since i only no A*'s at Gcse's ( 14A's)
But getting good results in Gcse's exams just shows you have good memory...
A level is slightly more accurate but no way as near a solid indicator of Intelligence. Doesn't Intelligence come in different forms? Social, Musical, Bodily-kinesthetic etc etc? and not just exams?
As for the idiot who got 12A*'s and said it was unfair for autistic people or any other people with any other conditions to get extra help, Imagine this...Tomorrow you fall down the stairs and become paralyzed, you can't walk, talk, or move but you can think. Are you any less intelligent now? Just because you can't put you thoughts down on a piece of paper as easily as other people does not make you any less of a intelligent person.
Original post by Tomato_Soup1992
People who are clever are more likely to get good grades, but people who get good grades are not necessarily brighter.

....And that still leads to the same conclusion that good grades = intelligence, with a few exceptions, as with every case.
Original post by - Major -
I understand i may not in the best to put this statement down since i only no A*'s at Gcse's ( 14A's)
But getting good results in Gcse's exams just shows you have good memory...A level is slightly more accurate but no way as near a solid indicator of Intelligence. Doesn't Intelligence come in different forms? Social, Musical, Bodily-kinesthetic etc etc? and not just exams?
As for the idiot who got 12A*'s and said it was unfair for autistic people or any other people with any other conditions to get extra help, Imagine this...Tomorrow you fall down the stairs and become paralyzed, you can't walk, talk, or move but you can think. Are you any less intelligent now? Just because you can't put you thoughts down on a piece of paper as easily as other people does not make you any less of a intelligent person.

This is true for the most part, i.e. science etc. Although I think for English language, History and definitely languages, you have to have an aptitude for the subject as you cannot simply rely on a good memory to analyse things.

A-level is a better indicator, as you said. For most subjects, you have to be intelligent otherwise you wouldn't be able to answer questions in any more than a descriptive way.
I think the main problem with aspergers is that they share a lot of traits with Dyslexics.

While we're all admitting scores, I'll go:

I got 2A*s, went to a comprehensive, and am currently in the middle of diagnosis for Aspergers, so I never got special conditions when I went to school.
On the plus side I got 4A*s at A-level.
In the end, getting a lot of A*s at GCSE is all well and good, but if you don't follow through, they're worthless. Conversely, If you dont do as well at GCSE, you still ahve time to make up for it in terms of qualifications.
That wasnt aimed at anyone

2A*s is still above the average. People get into Oxbridge with that amount. Conversely, some people don't with 12 A*s. I'm not saying that GCSEs are a prerequisite for intelligence, but I think they're a decent indicator. They show you can retain and analyse information, and also that you're dedicated to studying a subject that might not necessarily interest you, which says a lot about your character and the success of your future studies.

That wasnt aimed at anyone

I'm glad, I was waiting for someone to pick up on the fact that I screwed up my AS levels. :tongue:
Reply 38
Yep, I got 10 A*'s, but I'm pretty sure some of them were luck.... :smile:
Reply 39
This is true for the most part, i.e. science etc. Although I think for English language, History and definitely languages, you have to have an aptitude for the subject as you cannot simply rely on a good memory to analyse things.

A-level is a better indicator, as you said. For most subjects, you have to be intelligent otherwise you wouldn't be able to answer questions in any more than a descriptive way.

Oh i definetely agree. Linguistic intelligence is needed for languages but on average most people at Gcse's only do one foreign language so i don't think it's applicable although the analysis is needed but majority of it memory. I.e I remember in english, the teacher analysises the poem / novel on the board...Everyone copies down the points and just remembers them...and speaking to people this is pretty much the case everywhere. You doing 4 languages....OMG SOO COOOL, you must a smartass to get those grades in them :P

I think a lot of research needs to be undertaken before we can measure intelligence. One of the smartest people i know got 10C's and 2 B's at Gcse's...He simply can't remember things under exams conditions and find it hard to write down things....but while speaking, he knows everything. Speaking of measuring intellegence, we use IQ test ( pretty much unchanged since it was created ) and now it's debated whether it actually does measure it accurately.

I don't want to make excuses for my grades but I'm one of those people who kinda doesn't do anything and gets decent grades....which i realised couldn't be done for A levels so had to start working.
Massive laugh when i called up one of my friend and asked him how to revise...

Quick Reply

Latest