The Student Room Group

How can you tell the difference between regular flirting, and when a guy likes you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drogue
This. He may not want to have a relationship with you, but guys don't flirt with girls they don't at least think are somewhat attractive.

Depends, I am very 'flirty' with some of my female friends who I am not attracted to in the slightest - but I guess in the context of this you aren't talking about good friends - in which case yes I would agree with you.
Reply 21
Original post by Drogue
This. He may not want to have a relationship with you, but guys don't flirt with girls they don't at least think are somewhat attractive.

I disagree, I flirt with everyone, regardless of attraction, because it's fun and a good laugh.

You'd need to find out whether he flirts with everyone or just you before you can judge whether he likes you or not.
Reply 22
I don't think it's possible to tell - I flirt with every girl, and when I actually like one I think I flirt less because I'm slightly more worried about what she might think of me.
Reply 23
Original post by Hylean
I disagree, I flirt with everyone, regardless of attraction, because it's fun and a good laugh.

Original post by L i b
Lies. I sometimes flirt with plain girls just to be nice, or to build up a connexion if I think they may be useful to know at some point.

You'd flirt to build up a connection or to be nice, rather than just generally being nice and friendly? I flirt with most of my female friends, but that's because I find something attractive about most of my female friends. It doesn't mean I fancy them or want a relationship, but if I found nothing attractive at all about a girl I wouldn't be flirting with her.

Plus, of all the girls I am attracted to, I'd only consider getting into a relationship with a fairly small fraction of them.

Of course. That was part of my point - guys flirting suggests some form of attraction, but doesn't necessarily mean any desire to date or be more than platonic with the girl.
Reply 24
Original post by Drogue
You'd flirt to build up a connection or to be nice, rather than just generally being nice and friendly? I flirt with most of my female friends, but that's because I find something attractive about most of my female friends. It doesn't mean I fancy them or want a relationship, but if I found nothing attractive at all about a girl I wouldn't be flirting with her.

I'm afraid I don't really do friendly and nice, so it's a handy back-up.
Reply 25
Original post by Drogue

Why does it half to be one or the other? To be perfectly honest, flirting is often just being nice and friendly, just with loaded language. On top of that, I never said I flirt with people instead of being "nice and friendly", just that I flirt with people regardless of attraction. It's fun, innocent and most people enjoy it. I don't need to feel any attraction towards someone to be able to flirt with them, which is why I often end up flirting with my male friends, especially the gay ones.
Even the definition of flirting isn`t defined in a universal manner. Guys may well flirt for practise, or perhaps to pass time whilst making up their minds.

I agree totally about most guys!

Girls on the other hand, for reasons of having something to lose socially perhaps, are generally infinitely more reliable in this regard, but your instincts do still require to be terribly good - there is flirting and flirting. I always compare it directly with the flirting they do with someone that I know they fancy, and perhaps you girls should adopt the same approach(?)

The most certain way to know is usually to ask the best friend, and do this through your best friend. Don`t confuse flirting with natural personality though(?) - Those that flirt by personality are not actually flirting at all.

Finding something attractive, I agree here, this is likely, but may not constitute any further interest of course.

I often flirt, I`m not sure I`d quite define it such though, for reasons of a hieghtened communication. I`m at my communicative best then.

I concur with Hylean, I`m the same!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Hylean
Why does it half to be one or the other? To be perfectly honest, flirting is often just being nice and friendly, just with loaded language. On top of that, I never said I flirt with people instead of being "nice and friendly", just that I flirt with people regardless of attraction. It's fun, innocent and most people enjoy it. I don't need to feel any attraction towards someone to be able to flirt with them, which is why I often end up flirting with my male friends, especially the gay ones.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, but I think what you mean by flirting in that sense I'd consider just being friendly. Do you flirt differently with people you're attracted to than people you have no attraction to? I tend to consider the former flirting and the latter not.
Reply 28
Original post by Drogue
It doesn't have to be one or the other, but I think what you mean by flirting in that sense I'd consider just being friendly. Do you flirt differently with people you're attracted to than people you have no attraction to? I tend to consider the former flirting and the latter not.

I know the difference between being friendly and flirting. Obviously when I'm flirting with someone I like it has to be different to make sure the signals get through, but the basics are the same.
Original post by Hylean
I know the difference between being friendly and flirting. Obviously when I'm flirting with someone I like it has to be different to make sure the signals get through, but the basics are the same.

This is exactly what I mean though. How can I identify whether it's friendly or not? How would it be different?
Reply 30
Original post by Hylean

I realise you know the difference, but how you define it is a matter of opinion. I'm just suggesting that I think our opinion on how we define flirting and just being friendly is probably different. I suspect I'd only call flirting what you would do to try and get the signals through, as you put it. It's that intent and doing something a little different to demonstrate that intent that, to me, makes it flirting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending