The Student Room Group

The people protesting today are uneducated riff-raff

Scroll to see replies

Original post by creak
The ugly face of British fascism raises its head once more.

So, in your opinion, people should be allowed to riot, creating fear, damage and harm to others?
Reply 81
Original post by Howard
Queer.

Huh?
Reply 82
Original post by Expendable
So, in your opinion, people should be allowed to riot, creating fear, damage and harm to others?

Straw man, cheers anyway.
Reply 83
Original post by creak
Straw man, cheers anyway.

You never answer a question other than to make a vague statement. Why don't you just clear off?
Reply 84
Original post by isaqyi
You never answer a question other than to make a vague statement. Why don't you just clear off?

No one ever makes a point, there's nothing to answer.
I find it hilariously ironic.

All those people. running around causing havoc, doing damage and fighting with police just to protest against cuts have made things worse. The government now needs to spend money they thought they had saved on repairing the damage, patching up the injured officers and civilians and policing the whole thing in the first place.

Just LOL! :facepalm:
Reply 86
Original post by LornaSandison1
Isn't that human nature?! Don't tell me that if you lost your job you would think, "well, that's OK, because in the long term things will be fine!"

FYI, my Dad lost his job last year due to government cuts under the emergency budget and my Mum's job is now threatened as well. If she loses hers, then we're screwed as a family and I probably won't even be able to make it to university this year under the £3k fees. Excuse me for being selfish.

Why won't you be able to go to university? You don't have to bloody pay upfront!

My parents can't pay for my tuition or accommodation, so I'm using the loan.
Reply 87
Some of the people protesting are complete idiots. The people trashing shops and attacking police are beyond moronic.
Original post by ellie_flower
her department is based around further education for those, who, as a result of poverty, lack of information or because of immigration and persecution, were unable to doa degree in the first place.

The government doesn't consider such people worthy of doing degrees, so they do not help my mothers department to cover their costs, and thus, it will most likely have to be cut.

I thought you said it was crucial.
Reply 89
Original post by PendulumBoB
I thought you said it was crucial.

So you don't think its important for the less fortunate to be encouraged into further education? Do you not think it would benefit society? With the rises in tuition fess surely universities will need departments like this to advise people on what support they can receive to go to university or is education just a preserve for the privileged?
Original post by Howard
The West, and in particular the US, have been appeasing the devil in the Middle East since WWII. That is the unspoken policy - back whoever is in power at the time, however repulsive the regime, in return for national order, regional stability and not giving Israel too hard a time.

What I meant was people only take the crazy dictators side in wars if they think he's going to win anyway. If everything is stable, they might back him, but this is hardly stable.
Reply 91
Original post by moonkatt

So you don't think its important for the less fortunate to be encouraged into further education? Do you not think it would benefit society? With the rises in tuition fess surely universities will need departments like this to advise people on what support they can receive to go to university or is education just a preserve for the privileged?

Education costs money.
Not everybody is suited to education.
In a world where state spending has to be cut.
The money has to come from the individuals.
It is not about ideological class war.
It is about prudence.
Reply 92
Original post by Ocassus
Education costs money.
Not everybody is suited to education.
In a world where state spending has to be cut.
The money has to come from the individuals.
It is not about ideological class war.
It is about prudence.

So its about prudence when someone who has the potential to do well on a medical degree who comes from an unemployed family and cannot afford this? Is that what youre suggesting. Oh, tough, because Mum and Dad didn't get jobs youre screwed too mate? I'm not suggesting that everyone is suited to education, however to remove a part of a university that is there to support people from deprived backgrounds at times when purse stings are being tightened is going to make education even more inaccessable for them. Education may cost money, however its also an investment in a better qualified workforce for the future.
Reply 93

So its about prudence when someone who has the potential to do well on a medical degree who comes from an unemployed family and cannot afford this? Is that what youre suggesting. Oh, tough, because Mum and Dad didn't get jobs youre screwed too mate? I'm not suggesting that everyone is suited to education, however to remove a part of a university that is there to support people from deprived backgrounds at times when purse stings are being tightened is going to make education even more inaccessable for them. Education may cost money, however its also an investment in a better qualified workforce for the future.

Life. Is. Not. Fair?

Case in point : If we assume genetics plays no part, the fact you are intelligent is purely statistical, just like being born to a rich family is statistical.
I think it's harsh to say they're un-educated riff raff and all that....

However, I understand what you mean because the protestors are taking it way too far. The trouble is there was no alternative but to make the cuts and as painful as they will be it's best to get the cuts done and out the way because only then will our country get the money back that silly billy labour lost.

Trouble is, people have got so used to pretending that our country has lots of money (unlimited supply) ....we don't....and now the reality has been made aware of people don't like it.
I feel sorry for the current government......all they're doing is trying to make it all better but they're getting so much hassle. In my eyes the cuts are like when you were little and your mum/dad had to rip off the plaster (and they would always rip it off suddenly in one quick sweep) ....it would be so painful but in the end it was easier afterwards.
Reply 95
Original post by Ocassus
Life. Is. Not. Fair?

Case in point : If we assume genetics plays no part, the fact you are intelligent is purely statistical, just like being born to a rich family is statistical.

Way to go with a patronising respose. It would make more sense, especially at times of rising unemployment of giving those who have the potential the opportunity to develop rather than them sat on the dole having cash paid to them for nothing. They are getting something out of the deal and our future workforce will have better qualified employees. Having a department that encourages people and supports them to do this when they may have thought education was inaccessible to them is in my opinion crucial to this.
Reply 96

Way to go with a patronising respose. It would make more sense, especially at times of rising unemployment of giving those who have the potential the opportunity to develop rather than them sat on the dole having cash paid to them for nothing. They are getting something out of the deal and our future workforce will have better qualified employees. Having a department that encourages people and supports them to do this when they may have thought education was inaccessible to them is in my opinion crucial to this.

Why is it crucial?

You see, the issue is that at the moment people preach for government interference on choice, which is arguably a suppression of freedom. Education is only inaccessible through somebodies state of mind, the actual setup in 2012 will allow anybody who can go to university, go. Their debt means nothing unless they are successful. To be honest, i find that TOO nice, you only go into education if you are sure you are going to get something out of it. Somebody who looks at University and goes 'I can't go there, debt debt debt' etc quite obviously has not had the intelligence to go and research the system, and is therefore most likely unsuited to academic life anyway.
One thing that perplexes me is how any lack of satisfaction in the government means it's ok to go to the Ritz and start smashing windows.
Reply 98
Original post by Concept186
What I meant was people only take the crazy dictators side in wars if they think he's going to win anyway. If everything is stable, they might back him, but this is hardly stable.

Well, they've cast their lot with the rebels now so they're sort of committed.

But note you well - Mubarak - VERY SLOW INDEED to back the uprising (wanted to see who was going to win first) and slow too in Libya until Gaddaffi lost the plot. Not a sound on Syria or Jordan as yet. Wall-sitting as usual.
Reply 99
Anyone else find it interesting to see that Ed Miliband will now be running on a no cuts at all platform? You know if he does anything else he will have just lost himself 250ks worth of votes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending