The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Subsidiary modules in Durham Mod Lang - errm what are they??!

Hey, before anyone negs me and tells me to go and do my own research, I genuinely can't find a definitive list of what Arts subjects offer subsidiary modules to students studying for a degree in Modern Languages & Cultures and the website says 'check the prospectus'!!
I want to study French but I don't really want to take up a new language or carry on with my native one as a false beginner...just wondering whether anyone knows what subject I could take a few modules in alongside French, e.g.: could I study French and a few English modules/Politics modules/Philosophy modules??!

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by chickenkatsu

Hey, before anyone negs me and tells me to go and do my own research, I genuinely can't find a definitive list of what Arts subjects offer subsidiary modules to students studying for a degree in Modern Languages & Cultures and the website says 'check the prospectus'!!
I want to study French but I don't really want to take up a new language or carry on with my native one as a false beginner...just wondering whether anyone knows what subject I could take a few modules in alongside French, e.g.: could I study French and a few English modules/Politics modules/Philosophy modules??!

Thanks in advance

take a look at www.durham.ac.uk/faculty.handbook

Go down to search, open modules at level 1. That'll tell you all the modules you can do for any optional modules you have.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Aula
take a look at www.durham.ac.uk/faculty.handbook

Go down to search, open modules at level 1. That'll tell you all the modules you can do for any optional modules you have.

Thanks very much...I know I'm coming across as a bit stupid BUT it says "If you wish to study only one language, you will take 4 modules in it in each of your first and second years, and all 6 modules in your final year. In your first and second years, you will study a subsidiary subject chosen from outside the School of Modern Languages and Cultures.".

Does this mean I could literally take modules from any of those on that list i.e.: law/economics modules OR would it just be subjects like English and History et al which are not examined? I just ask because surely taking law modules wouldn't be allowed if you hadn't passed your LNAT?

EDIT: which are not examined by entrance test is what I meant..
Reply 3

Thanks very much...I know I'm coming across as a bit stupid BUT it says "If you wish to study only one language, you will take 4 modules in it in each of your first and second years, and all 6 modules in your final year. In your first and second years, you will study a subsidiary subject chosen from outside the School of Modern Languages and Cultures.".

Does this mean I could literally take modules from any of those on that list i.e.: law/economics modules OR would it just be subjects like English and History et al which are not examined? I just ask because surely taking law modules wouldn't be allowed if you hadn't passed your LNAT?

EDIT: which are not examined by entrance test is what I meant..

You'd be able to do any module that's open and has an available place. You probably wouldn't be able to do law for that reason rather than because you hadn't passed the LNAT. When looking at the list make sure you have it to open and not all. Also, some of the sciences would be likely to have A level pre-requisites. For instance, first year I did two classics modules, this year (my third year) I'm doing a second year theology module.

Also, you might want to take a look at second year modules, since a lot of them have first year pre-requisites (ie modules you have to do to be able to do the second year module).
Reply 4
Original post by Aula
You'd be able to do any module that's open and has an available place. You probably wouldn't be able to do law for that reason rather than because you hadn't passed the LNAT. When looking at the list make sure you have it to open and not all. Also, some of the sciences would be likely to have A level pre-requisites. For instance, first year I did two classics modules, this year (my third year) I'm doing a second year theology module.

Also, you might want to take a look at second year modules, since a lot of them have first year pre-requisites (ie modules you have to do to be able to do the second year module).

Thanks very much, this makes perfect sense now :smile: I think I may just stick to a second language in the ML&C department but if not then perhaps History...
Reply 5

Thanks very much, this makes perfect sense now :smile: I think I may just stick to a second language in the ML&C department but if not then perhaps History...

Do bear in mind that history is likely to be difficult to get onto, since the course itself has so many people anyway, but it's worth a go.
Reply 6
Original post by Aula
Do bear in mind that history is likely to be difficult to get onto, since the course itself has so many people anyway, but it's worth a go.

Ahh okay, yeah the history modules appeal to me simply cos I've got two other offers for history and french at other unis but would prefer less of an equal weighting, but I'm sure it will be hugely oversubscribed.
Remember that timetable clashes will severely restrict your choices.
Reply 8
Ahh okay, yeah the history modules appeal to me simply cos I've got two other offers for history and french at other unis but would prefer less of an equal weighting, but I'm sure it will be hugely oversubscribed.

History modules are capped but I've never ever heard of anyone not getting onto any modules. You select 3 or 4 choices, and if your top choices are full you get onto your next choices - there's a very confusing but very very fair system that does it all!

And you find out which module you've been allocated to before you register in October, so if you don't like it you can decline it and do another module in a different department. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by angelmxxx
History modules are capped but I've never ever heard of anyone not getting onto any modules. You select 3 or 4 choices, and if your top choices are full you get onto your next choices - there's a very confusing but very very fair system that does it all!

And you find out which module you've been allocated to before you register in October, so if you don't like it you can decline it and do another module in a different department. :smile:

Ahh ok I think I understand things a bit better now, thanks, I might put Spanish, English, History, Russian in that order if I can.
Ahh ok I think I understand things a bit better now, thanks, I might put Spanish, English, History, Russian in that order if I can.

Sorry I think I've confused you. It's only history modules you have to rank. English Lit modules aren't capped so if you want to do a module you definitely can - well, as long as it timetables which is a big if! And even if they are capped, each department has its own allocation method.

So you would apply for a place on 1 or 2 history modules completely separately from language modules. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by angelmxxx
Sorry I think I've confused you. It's only history modules you have to rank. English Lit modules aren't capped so if you want to do a module you definitely can - well, as long as it timetables which is a big if! And even if they are capped, each department has its own allocation method.

So you would apply for a place on 1 or 2 history modules completely separately from language modules. :smile:

Oh cringe yeah I misunderstood - now I understand you! Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply