The Student Room Group

Guys : When you call a girl "man" ..?

Do you ever talk to girls and say something like "oh man i gotta tell you" , even though they're , obviously , girls ?
And when you do so, does it usually mean you consider them as "mates" and don't like them in another way ?

Yeah, I might be reading too much into that, but I'm not English, so I don't know all those things. I just know that when a French guy calls a girl "man" (in French) it usually means she's been "friend zoned" ...

So, do you ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
not everyone overthinks things and tries to read hidden meanings into everything when they use a word as much as you clearly do
Reply 2
yes like a_t said, it's just a way of addressing somebody casually, don't be overthinking this.
Haha that would just be reading too much into it.

Ive heard a boyfriend say 'man' to his girlfriend. Even heard a guy say 'man' to a girl he hates.

It means nothing deep, its just the way some people speak. Some girls refer to their female friends as 'man' too.
Original post by littlepotatoe
Do you ever talk to girls and say something like "oh man i gotta tell you" , even though they're , obviously , girls ?
And when you do so, does it usually mean you consider them as "mates" and don't like them in another way ?

Yeah, I might be reading too much into that, but I'm not English, so I don't know all those things. I just know that when a French guy calls a girl "man" (in French) it usually means she's been "friend zoned" ...

So, do you ?

i wouldn't say that or use that to address a woman ever!

i'd say 'hey girl how you doing today? wanna come back to my house and play? :wink:'
Reply 5

So, do you ?

you ovethinking too much man!

^ see this? its nothing, don't worry :h:
Reply 6
If I don't call a girl by her name, I'd usually address her as 'mate', or 'buddy'.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
'Oh man, give me some more of that strap-on'.

you wanna play rough?
Reply 8
"Man" is just a word... when casually talking to people, it doesn't really mean a lot in my opinion. If I start referring to girls as "girl", it makes me sound like a should be in a rap video and "woman" makes you sound like a massive sexist.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9

It's fine to say something like 'oh man...' but calling them a man like 'you are a man' is kinda offensive..
Tehe.. maybe chill out on analysing your conversations and just have some fun with your mates? xD
Reply 10
I say 'man' to my female friends and even my parents :p:
Reply 11
You're reading way too much into this :p:

My boyfriend says things like 'Man, I've had a tough day' or 'Aww man, I can't find the remote again' - sounds better than 'Woman, I've had a tough day' because I almost expect it to be followed by 'so why the **** are you out of the kitchen?' :ninja:
Haha right. Thanks everyone. Was just wondering, cause you really can't say 'man' to a girl in French, without sounding like you consider her as a sort of boy...
Reply 13
If she looks like a man then thats peak.
Reply 14
Haha right. Thanks everyone. Was just wondering, cause you really can't say 'man' to a girl in French, without sounding like you consider her as a sort of boy...

Well, most of us aren't French.
Reply 15
I would never call a girl 'man' and if I did, I definitely wouldn't have any feelings for her!
Saying “Hey girl!” “How you doing girl!” “What's the latest girl?" doesn't necessarily give the desired impression.

What about 'girlfriend'? :puppyeyes:

I call all everyone man regardless of gender, it's a term of endearment man
Original post by FXX
Well, most of us aren't French.

Erm. I ain't saying that. Just trying to translate the right way.
Reply 18
Saying “Hey girl!” “How you doing girl!” “What's the latest girl?" doesn't necessarily give the desired impression.

A lot of famous people seem to think it's a good idea.
Not really bothered :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending