The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, is that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Edit: Thanks for the neg guys... maybe I should I've pointed out that I'm not agreeing with the BNP in any way here, it's just an interesting point of contention and I wanted to see what people's opinions were on this. I don't think my post in any way suggests that I agree with them on this matter, I'm sitting on the fence, and made the thread so I could make a more informed decision after listening to the arguments for and against.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't trust it, seeing as it's on the BNP website.
It's a millions better than discouraging and teaching hatred of homosexuality, I think =/ But how will it all in all affect people? People don't choose their sexuality. Anyway, I'm not surprised the BNP came out with that. I read this post as homophobia first though ¬_¬
And oh wait, ignore my first sentence, judging from that website, it's not encouraging homosexuality at all. What it's doing is teaching kids that all types of families are fine. Which is good.

EDIT: Oh those comments on the website are just disgusting and it scares me that there are that many people who hold those views.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by imperial maniac
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, isn't that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Surely by making it seem normal we encourage children to treat gay people normally?

Surely if being gay is biological then you cannot encourage it?
Original post by Aj12
Surely by making it seem normal we encourage children to treat gay people normally?

Surely if being gay is biological then you cannot encourage it?

True, I suppose the only people who would be offended by this is people who feel threatened by homosexuality.
Reply 5
Why the hell do you think treating it as normal is crossing the line?
Homosexuality is not being encouraged, how can you encourage someone to be gay?

Acceptance of homosexuality is being encouraged.
Reply 7
I don't see what harm this could possibly do. That it does great good is more than a bonus.

It's not like there's a passage in the Bible saying homsexuality is evil. In fact, Jesus encouraged acceptance of it.

So there.
Reply 8
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, isn't that crossing a line?

There hasn't been any controversial stories about Muslims recently, so the BNP are obviously targeting the group they dislike the most after Muslims and ethnic minorities -- homosexuals.
Original post by Caprisun!

Original post by Caprisun!
Homosexuality is not being encouraged, how can you encourage someone to be gay?

Acceptance of homosexuality is being encouraged.

This. And to my mind, that is a brilliant thing :smile:

Edit: I just clicked on the link and scrolled down to read the comments. Big mistake. They constitute some of the most unpleasant views I have read in quite a while. For instance, 'Wonder how many paedophiles and perverts are among these teachers I think this is absolutely disgusting' [sic].
Another comment refers to homosexuals and 'their unnatural ways'.
Makes me :angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alharrison4
This. And to my mind, that is a brilliant thing :smile:

It really is, it's about time actually.
Oh stop it. What is it with TSR and people pretending that they arent being homophobic when they clearly are.
Talk about an inflammatory title. Stonewall has sent schools packs about how to deal with explaining gay/lesbian relationships, and children who may experience bullying because they exhibit stereotypically 'gay' behaviour.

There is a difference between education and propaganda.
Original post by racello
Why the hell do you think treating it as normal is crossing the line?

I don't, I haven't made my mind up about it yet.

Hence why I made this thread.
Reply 14
What stonewall are encouraging is that its ok for kids to come from "less than conventional" families (e.g. not two straight parents who are together) which includes everything from single parents to two mums/dads etc. trying to avoid kids coming from these backgrounds getting picked on by ignorant bullies... whats wrong with that? :s-smilie:

Your source is the BMP... :nah:

I like to be able to see all the cards before deciding my move.

Look at what the actual charity have to say, then make up your mind:
http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_school/education_for_all/primary_schools/default.asp
(edited 13 years ago)
i'm not clicking that ****
Original post by nonotrly
I don't see what harm this could possibly do. That it does great good is more than a bonus.

It's not like there's a passage in the Bible saying homsexuality is evil. In fact, Jesus encouraged acceptance of it.

So there.

Can you send me the passage please?

Friend of mine went off on an evangelical rant against homosexuals the other day, I want to try and persuade him otherwise, and since the bible is only thing that would persuade him, that would be very helpful to my argument.
Original post by morecambebay
Oh stop it. What is it with TSR and people pretending that they arent being homophobic when they clearly are.

I am, and proud ahahah
Reply 18
I don't think anyone needs to do anything.

We don't need to encourage or discourage homosexuality.

What we need is to focus on the real issues of present day society like: is Gadaffi handsome enough to regain control of Libya?
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
I am, and proud ahahah

Congratulations? Are you still gonna be proud of your ignorance when you have spent 50 yrs cleaning up other peoples piss?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending