The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Definitely worth it IMO. Although if I had needed the extra £20/25 a week then I could have coped.
Reply 21
I couldn't even if I wanted to. I know it's only £20/week difference but that's going to be £900 for 1 year for me. I'd rather spend that money for food/ clothes/ going out. I think I'll be more practical, money wise. Besides, I only have to share t&b with 2 other people so I'm not bothered.
Reply 22

It completely depends how many people share if not ensuite. I was originally in ensuite, then moved to shared. Worked out 1bathroom per 4 girls and I was saving over 30 quid a week and cleaners came in every morning. But I needed the extra money but didn't have to wait for a shower once as everyone had different timetables and whatnot.
I shared a bathroom - it was an extra £40 a week for an ensuite. Two toilets and one shower between six of us - was absolutely fine. Cleaners came in once a fortnight but we cleaned it usually every couple of days. I honestly can't understand how it could bother anyone that much.
Reply 24
Yes it is around £20 a week but that quite quickly adds up to avoid what I can only imagine to be a minor inconvenince of sharing toilets showers etc.

I mean £20 will fund about 2/3 of your food for a week.
Having pretty bad IBS, I think I pretty much have to have one. It would just be cruel to anyone living with me to share a bathroom with them.
Reply 26
Original post by rylit91
I'm not at uni but I would have to have an ensuite. I couldn't share showers and lavatories with others. Never mind walking back from them with nothing but a towel to cover everything...

I'm willing to pay so I can have some dignity.

Have you never heard of a bath robe. or y'know drying yourself in the bathroom and putting clothes on to walk back to your room...
Reply 27
Original post by Oh-WOW
Have you never heard of a bath robe. or y'know drying yourself in the bathroom and putting clothes on to walk back to your room...

Not my choice of method. I prefer a towel and privacy.
I share a bathroom: 2 showers and 2 toilets between 12. The biggest problems with it are hair in the shower and running out of toilet roll (we get given 12 per week), but since you'd wear flipflops in a uni shower anyway, and if you have an ensuite you have to buy your own toilet roll, I don't think it's worth it for me. I've never had to wait for the shower, but I have 4 9am starts (which the rest of my house don't), so I don't know if any of my housemates have; I doubt it since when I was off for revision and they weren't I still didn't have to wait.
I share and can't find a problem. We get a cleaner everyday, so cleanliness is only an issue when one of the guys misses the toilet and takes a piss all over the floor :colonhash:. There appears to only be a queue for the shower when everyone is going out, and even that's rarely a problem. If you're going out, get the person on the shower to bang on your door when they're done (and waiting the whole of 10 mins!) or otherwise, take one later. I usually take a shower in the morning, and I have yet to experience a queue there.
I'm definitley putting ensuite down as my first choice. I get up to the loo a lot in the night, and I really don't want to have to worry about locking my door each time. Yes I do share at home at the moment, but its a bloody nightmare, 9 times out of 10 there is always someone in the bathroom when I need the loo, and this is sharing with 2 people. Plus there is the fact I'm a bit ocd about bathroom cleanliness.
Reply 31
Original post by jelly1000
I'm definitley putting ensuite down as my first choice. I get up to the loo a lot in the night, and I really don't want to have to worry about locking my door each time. Yes I do share at home at the moment, but its a bloody nightmare, 9 times out of 10 there is always someone in the bathroom when I need the loo, and this is sharing with 2 people. Plus there is the fact I'm a bit ocd about bathroom cleanliness.

Same here :frown:

Is it common for the shared toilets to have cleaners on daily basis? I was under the assumption we had to to clean them up ourself throughout the stay.
Reply 32
So not worth it. Lol @ "I can't bear to share a bathroom" - I'd not go within a mile radius of your halls kitchen if you're that much of a neat nazi, bathrooms are fine. Kitchens are what get disgusting very fast!
Original post by Zinio
Same here :frown:

Is it common for the shared toilets to have cleaners on daily basis? I was under the assumption we had to to clean them up ourself throughout the stay.

Depends on the uni, in some they are cleaned fortnightly, some weekly and some daily. I have a cleaner twice a week at home and I still clean the shower after shes been!
Definitely worth it! I could probably live with shared bathrooms but I'm one of those annoying girls who likes to take ages in the shower and tends to shed hair everywhere by accident so it's probably a good thing I have my own. Plus I generally have showers at about 2/3am so it would wake everyone up if it was shared. Ensuite FTW! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by loonyplatypus
Definitely worth it! I could probably live with shared bathrooms but I'm one of those annoying girls who likes to take ages in the shower and tends to shed hair everywhere by accident so it's probably a good thing I have my own. Plus I generally have showers at about 2/3am so it would wake everyone up if it was shared. Ensuite FTW! :biggrin:

I have showers at 2 AM and it doesn't wake anyone up. Saving tens of pounds a month FTW! :mmm:

(Coming from someone who hates living with others so much that she is moving to a studio flat. Bathroom sharing is no trouble at all.)

Latest

Trending

Trending