The Student Room Group

Hate myself when I look ino the miror 3/4 of the time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Theres a solution, i cant describe as its long: search for "loving kindness meditation" on google. Do it for 15 min daily.
Re: Hate myself when I look ino the miror 3/4 of the time

You'll won't notice this comment but to be honest I had this probelm before,
Everytime someone would look at me, i would put my head down , as if i was ashamed of looking this way but i dont anymore,

This is because i realised that this is making me be a person that i didn't want to be, so i stopped and held my head high. And know I'm beening smiled at everyday by this boys which makes me feel amazing. Trust me, you'll stop feeling this way soon x
Original post by Mad Cat Lady

Literally, exactly the same problem here. Except I have trichotillomania, not dermatillomania.

Me too :frown: Ive had it for about a year and a half/2 years now. It do it when im stressed/angry and it weirdly relaxes me. Its unhealthy and i want to stop but its so hard. I do it less than i used to though

Yes, every time I sit still, whether its on the bus or like I am now on a computer, I can't help it, I don't even realise I'm doing it.

I'm not getting any kind of treatment cause I can't seem to find anyone who knows enough about it. I mean a clinical psychologist came into my school to give a talk and I asked her about it afterwards, and she said there was nothing wrong with me! Which was a little insulting, considering it practically ruins my life...

If you can find anywhere that can help you, please tell me about it! I don't mind if you PM me, I won't tell anyone who you are :smile:

I tend to do it when im stressed/angry now but before i just use to do it constantly. It got to the stage where you'd find hair on my carpet in my room or on my bed and my mum kept asking why or i'd just randomly do it around my friends
Original post by Anonymous
Me too :frown: Ive had it for about a year and a half/2 years now. It do it when im stressed/angry and it weirdly relaxes me. Its unhealthy and i want to stop but its so hard. I do it less than i used to though

Hmm, the more I read of these the more confused I get. See I've had it as long as I can remember and I do it pretty much constantly, not in just certain situations... Even before I can remember, my mum told me when I was an infant I had a woolen cardigan I would pull the threads out of and twirl them around in my fingers like I do with my hair... It's odd :s
Does anybody else have this?
I feel angry and this thought "I hate you" automatically comes into my head,I dont even have the time to tell it to shut up:mad: I get it most of the times I look into the mirror,but not all the time.

Take a pic, and if i cannot knock one out by watching the photo then you must really be ugly. I can beat off to clouds in the sky...

How about now?

Edit - Link fail, but it was basically a very unattractive bloke.
(edited 13 years ago)
I tend to do it when im stressed/angry now but before i just use to do it constantly. It got to the stage where you'd find hair on my carpet in my room or on my bed and my mum kept asking why or i'd just randomly do it around my friends

Oh yeh, literally, you can tell where I've been sitting with my laptop cause when I'm done there's a pile of hairs next to the chair - drives my brother up the wall
Reply 68
Original post by mandingo666
Don't look in the mirror.

or only 1/4 of the time

Oh yeh, literally, you can tell where I've been sitting with my laptop cause when I'm done there's a pile of hairs next to the chair - drives my brother up the wall

:s-smilie: When i used to revise for exam I used to pull my hair til the page im reading is full of my hair :s-smilie:. I started doing it less and less when i realised just how thin my hair had gotten
:s-smilie: When i used to revise for exam I used to pull my hair til the page im reading is full of my hair :s-smilie:. I started doing it less and less when i realised just how thin my hair had gotten

Hmm, so you just got a bit better from not wanting to have thin hair? Interesting.. I don't think I have that much willpower!
Original post by markrush
or only 1/4 of the time

Naar brah she will still be upset 75% of the time no matter what so you have to totally stop.
Reply 72
Original post by mandingo666
Naar brah she will still be upset 75% of the time no matter what so you have to totally stop.

:biggrin:

or just look until you accept
Hmm, the more I read of these the more confused I get. See I've had it as long as I can remember and I do it pretty much constantly, not in just certain situations... Even before I can remember, my mum told me when I was an infant I had a woolen cardigan I would pull the threads out of and twirl them around in my fingers like I do with my hair... It's odd :s

I used to do it all the time too, had it for ten years and almost went completely bald at one point. Teenage years were not fun lol. Anyway, I got heat sealed hair extensions last year and my pulling has reduced so much because they stop you from getting to the base of your own hair. The bare patches have now grown back and are at least 4 inches so it's worth a shot if your trich is really bad. I still pull now though when im really stressed but it's definitely an improvement.

Also, channel 4 did a documentary on trich last year 'girls on the pull'. You can watch it on 4od. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/girls-on-the-pull/4od

Hmm, so you just got a bit better from not wanting to have thin hair? Interesting.. I don't think I have that much willpower!

Yes...kind of. When my hair started thinning it looked really bad. I used to tie my hair almost all the time to stop me from pulling but then i moved onto pulling my eye lashes :s-smilie: sigh
I used to do it all the time too, had it for ten years and almost went completely bald at one point. Teenage years were not fun lol. Anyway, I got heat sealed hair extensions last year and my pulling has reduced so much because they stop you from getting to the base of your own hair. The bare patches have now grown back and are at least 4 inches so it's worth a shot if your trich is really bad. I still pull now though when im really stressed but it's definitely an improvement.

Also, channel 4 did a documentary on trich last year 'girls on the pull'. You can watch it on 4od. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/girls-on-the-pull/4od

Ahh thank you, this is extremely helpful! I might consider these "heat sealed hair extensions" that you speak of if i can find somewhere that does them, and I'll try to find some spare time to watch the documentary. THANK YOU ANONYMOUS FRIEND! :smile:
Reply 76
im the same! i think i suffer brom BDD which is Body dysmorphic disorder. maybe you do too..

Wow! I had never heard of BDD before so did a search on the condition. It rang some bells to say the least.
Yes every time I look in the mirror! I also pull out my hair too funnily enough.x

Quick Reply

Latest