The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abnegation
Think I'm a bit late to this thread, but ah well.

I just had a look at Clarence Dock, The Tannery and Leodis today. Wasn't keen on the Tannery - the rooms were pretty small, I found it a bit claustrophobic and I didn't like the surrounding area much. Now, I'm totally stuck between Clarence Dock and Leodis (which I was even before I went to see the accommodation!).

My only worry with Clarence Dock is that it's so far out. If I could be assured that it wouldn't have an effect on my social life, that would definitely be my first choice. Leodis is much closer and was still nice, but I've heard it's supposed to be quite oversubscribed and I'd rather have the smallest possible chance of being put somewhere other than my first choice. However, Clarence Dock seems to have a lot of interest this year - so maybe even that'll be oversubscribed!

just wondering, what was wrong with the surrounding area of Tannery? andhow far was it from uni etccc

just wondering cos i havnt been to see it at all :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 501

I just had a look at Clarence Dock, The Tannery and Leodis today. Wasn't keen on the Tannery - the rooms were pretty small, I found it a bit claustrophobic and I didn't like the surrounding area much. Now, I'm totally stuck between Clarence Dock and Leodis (which I was even before I went to see the accommodation!).

My only worry with Clarence Dock is that it's so far out. If I could be assured that it wouldn't have an effect on my social life, that would definitely be my first choice. Leodis is much closer and was still nice, but I've heard it's supposed to be quite oversubscribed and I'd rather have the smallest possible chance of being put somewhere other than my first choice. However, Clarence Dock seems to have a lot of interest this year - so maybe even that'll be oversubscribed!

Oh God I hope not D8
What were the room sizes like in CD?

I was planning on picking the Tannery as one of my back ups as well because it looked quite spacious :[
The gallery pics deceived me D8 !
Reply 502
has anyone applied for their accomodation? I have just signed in to apply and it is saying that i have already applied... which i haven't! lol can anyone help please?
Clarence dock would be great but the buses that go into town from there STOP RUNNING AT HALF 7 and there are NONE on sundays... ?!?! Literally :lolwut:
So either I would have to walk or get taxis.. :/
I'm leaning more towards oxley... but I'm not a particularly sporty person.. will i be quite an odd one? Or will there be a mixture of people?
If anyone knows, or has any info quote me :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ohhelloruth
just wondering, what was wrong with the surrounding area of Tannery? andhow far was it from uni etccc

just wondering cos i havnt been to see it at all :smile:

It really wasn't very far from the uni - it's mainly just one big road down from the Parkinson building :smile: I think if I'm honest I was just being a bit fussy - in comparison to my other two choices, the surrounding area was my least favourite since there really wasn't anything much around.

Original post by J o o
Oh God I hope not D8
What were the room sizes like in CD?

I was planning on picking the Tannery as one of my back ups as well because it looked quite spacious :[
The gallery pics deceived me D8 !

Me too D: Although the girl giving the tour did say that it was massively undersubscribed this year so I wouldn't imagine it would change too significantly for September (hopefully!).

The room sizes in CD were the biggest of the three I saw. There was definitely room for extra storage, etc. Though the rooms weren't all a generic shape so I guess the amount of space would just depend on which room you got.

The gallery picture for the Tannery does seem really big! Maybe the rooms I saw were just oddly small, haha.

Do we get back-up choices then? I was under the impression that we just chose one and then indicated our preferences, but that would be brilliant if so :smile:
Original post by supernova92
Clarence dock would be great but the buses that go there STOP RUNNING AT HALF 7 and there are NONE on sundays... ?!?! Literally :lolwut:
So either I would have to walk or get taxis.. :/
I'm leaning more towards oxley... but I'm not a particularly sporty person.. will i be quite an odd one? Or will there be a mixture of people?
If anyone knows, or has any info quote me :smile:

Whaat?! Where did you find this out? The timetable I found has buses running til about 11, even Sundays.
(edited 13 years ago)
Whaat?! Where did you find this out? :frown:

Well I went this week, and went to the different accomodations, and i looked on the bus time table..
:redface: Am I wrong?! I'm pretty sure I didn't misread :tongue:
Reply 507
i have failed, no pictures :frown: I'm a lot less sure now but CD is still first choice
ive heard that the on campus ones are less social because everyone is always out somewhere so less people in the accomodation

oh im so stuck!

ah man everyone's saying different things, I'm stuck too, i keep changing my mind after hearing pros and cons about different accommodations
Reply 509

Me too D: Although the girl giving the tour did say that it was massively undersubscribed this year so I wouldn't imagine it would change too significantly for September (hopefully!).

The room sizes in CD were the biggest of the three I saw. There was definitely room for extra storage, etc. Though the rooms weren't all a generic shape so I guess the amount of space would just depend on which room you got.

The gallery picture for the Tannery does seem really big! Maybe the rooms I saw were just oddly small, haha.

Do we get back-up choices then? I was under the impression that we just chose one and then indicated our preferences, but that would be brilliant if so :smile:

Ooh extra storage space~ I hope I get one big enough to roll around in 8DDD

Hmn, maybe, how many rooms were you shown in CD and Tannery? Oh were there lifts or just stairs in CD to get to each floor?

From what I read, yup! I think you pick 3, one that you really want a two that you won't mind as back up
Reply 510

Same dilemna, least James Bailie's out of the question for me now
Whaat?! Where did you find this out? The timetable I found has buses running til about 11, even Sundays.

Well I looked at the bus stop outside the accmodation.
Right so I just looked it up, and i've worked it out.
The last one from clarence dock to town is at half 7, however coming back TO clarence dock they run till about half 11 !!
Which is slightly better... but still :s when compared to other buses running till 3 to other accomodation around leeds... :smile:
Original post by dmz

why is james baillie out of the question for you?
Original post by -Christabel-
ah man everyone's saying different things, I'm stuck too, i keep changing my mind after hearing pros and cons about different accommodations

same! i deifnatly shouldnt have done so much research, i know every one inside out and cant decide at all. :frown:
Original post by dmz

Why, what didn't you like about James Bailie?
same! i deifnatly shouldnt have done so much research, i know every one inside out and cant decide at all. :frown:

did you go to the accommodation viewing day today?
Reply 516
Since everyone's reviewing here goes, I went to CD, Devonshire, James Bailie and Leodis

CD was my favourite before i went so i already had high expectations for it, didn't get the chance to see the 'nice scenery' but the halls were kinda tight, but the rooms were spacious enough i thought, the gym was disappointing as i was only interested in weights which they only had one machine for :tongue:, i really like the kitchen though and the shapes the room were (i know that sounds weird) cos it makes me much more nicer to personalise. The bar however was really good i thought, especially upstairs with the pool table and the lights, and it had a big tv in a side also. It is far but it's a 20min walk from town and it doesn't really take that long driving tbh, buses takes 15-20 from there to parkinson building and it's a 30mins walk if you decide to walk so it shouldn't impact social life. It didn't look as modern as i expected though :tongue:

Devonshire Pretty artsy but really not my type :tongue:, so didn't look much around, wasn't comfortable at all :lol: (Sorry MoS)

James Bailie really came of as mordern, rooms weren't too big but i really like the mordern feel and the bathrooms looked much newer than other ones, kitchen was fairly spacious too (It seemed to be the neatest)

Leodis Had a really nice common room (not sure what it'd be like when there are lots of students there tho), the rooms were pretty similar to james Bailie. Best part of it was that i walked up hill for literally 3mins and i was at the uni, so you'd probably make your lecture if you got out of bed 20mins before time, the person showing me around was more interested in my food than anything else but i went late so she wasn't too enthusiastic tbh :lol: Oh and the kitchen seemed bare

THE STUDENT UNION WAS AWESOME!! :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
did you go to the accommodation viewing day today?

nope but ive been to leeds twice now and saw james baillie and henry price and seen some others from the outside...

did you? :smile:
Reply 518
why is james baillie out of the question for you?

Why, what didn't you like about James Bailie?

Felt pretty ordinary, nothing special and the tour guide seemed to think it was **** and didn't even bother to take me there, lol. I really liked the rooms tho, a bit too small however. Kitchen was nice too

Felt like the perfect compromise with distance and all, just could have done with more facilities
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 519
I definately want Henry Price but its always over subscribed :frown:
anyone else wanting HP
Also does anyone know where I would be likely to end up if I put HP and didnt get in, im going to put that I want to be on/near campus when I apply because im not too bothered about the accomodation being catered or self catered

Latest