The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2ndClass
I don't think homosexuality per-se, I've personally never been encouraged nor was the topic ever brought up throughout my time in high school and the BNP is full of **** in general, but feminization of men? it can be arguable. But this is on a societal sense not school. Last week I went into River Island in what I thought was the "Men's" section and I was like :wtf: there were crop tops, uber tight and some weird looking jeans, men's jewellery etc and it's strange as I bought one of my favourite pair of jeans from river Island a couple of years ago and their style changed completely. I don't know what that's suggesting.

How is that relevant to, er, anything? River Island sell men's jewellery, therefore it's now a shop for the gheys? Right...
Original post by cttp_ngaf
I never sat down and weighed up the pros and cons of going to uni, I just felt that was the normal/right/obvious thing to do. Just like I never had a nice long, hard, sweaty think about if I prefer girls or boys. I just knew.

I don't consider them to be exactly analogous themes, and I do think that something as basic as broad sexual preference comes from a deeper place than uni choice, but it's not without influence from the environment.

That's why it's a bad analogy. There is an emotional element to sexual preference, whereas there isn't with University, so it coming from a much deeper place isn't an insignificant factor, so it doesn't logically lead to the conclusion that environmental factors are influential.
I don't think homosexuality per-se, I've personally never been encouraged nor was the topic ever brought up throughout my time in high school and the BNP is full of **** in general, but feminization of men? it can be arguable. But this is on a societal sense not school. Last week I went into River Island in what I thought was the "Men's" section and I was like :wtf: there were crop tops, uber tight and some weird looking jeans, men's jewellery etc and it's strange as I bought one of my favourite pair of jeans from river Island a couple of years ago and their style changed completely. I don't know what that's suggesting.

And what happens if some men decide to dress more feminine? Is there a bomb somewhere that I dont know about that is going to explode if too many men wear feminine clothes?

What happens?

What are the consequences?
Original post by gingerrama
What, Stonewall are distributing packs that are going to turn the poor kiddies into raving homosexuals?

No-one's saying that something's acceptable just because humans or animals do it, but I don't think I shouldn't have to point out that cannibalism and homosexuality aren't comparable. Who exactly is harmed or loses their life where homosexuality is concerned?

The person I quoted just did, so do a lot of others. So you just debunked that whole argument. We agree then.
Also to point out, harm is irrelevant when it comes to animals. They don't have a conscience like that.

Anyway, the rest of my post (which you only quote part of) explains my stance. The state can't tell people what to believe. Whether it is for a religious or personal reason, they are perfectly entitled to be against homosexuality as long as nobody is harmed.
Original post by morecambebay
Of course it is ok to hold an opinion, but that doesnt make your opinion right.

There are THOUSANDS of rational reasons to accept homosexuality. The best I think, is that it doesnt cause anybody any harm.

Saying that there is a right sexuality is like saying that there is a right colour to paint a wall. It's ridiculous. It's about taste.

It doesn't cause anybody harm in holding the view that homosexuality is wrong by that logic. It's not a thought crime.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
The person I quoted just did, so do a lot of others. So you just debunked that whole argument. We agree then.

Anyway, the rest of my post (which you only quote part of) explains my stance. The state can't tell people what to believe. Whether it is for a religious or personal reason, they are perfectly entitled to be against homosexuality as long as nobody is harmed.

It doesn't cause anybody harm in holding the view that homosexuality is wrong by that logic. It's not a thought crime.

Holding it doesnt cause harm, expressing it does.

Now, please enlighten me as to why it is right to be homophobic.
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
That's why it's a bad analogy. There is an emotional element to sexual preference, whereas there isn't with University

I find that quite vague, I'm not sure what you mean.

, so it coming from a much deeper place isn't an insignificant factor

Correct

so it doesn't logically lead to the conclusion that environmental factors are influential.

My analogy wasn't meant to lead to that conclusion. That conclusion is already evident and I didn't think it was seriously contested by anyone.
Reply 66
And what happens if some men decide to dress more feminine?

This is what I'm talking about exactly, this is problem with society today, you get overly aggressive and defensive individuals as yourself as Silent ninja perfectly said, trying to ram their beliefs down other people throats. Besides the fact your sentence is an oxymoron, some of us men, like to be men and don't find the sight or the fact that tight jeans and the whole other assortment of over feminine clothing has become common place.

Or aren't we allowed to hold these views :rolleyes:

sorry I'm still going to say it.

Original post by gingerrama
How is that relevant to, er, anything? River Island sell men's jewellery, therefore it's now a shop for the gheys? Right...

It's relevant in the fact that society is overwhelming pushing the feminine and androgynous ideal of a man and men in general. And who mentioned gays? there's a difference between the two.
Reply 67
It's ****ing disgusting, let kids have their innocence and don't force vile stuff about any form of sexuality down their throats. In my opinion it's propaganda of the highest order - forcing anything upon someone from such a young age is disgraceful. Stonewall are totalitarian scum for doing this.

Let people live freely.
And what happens if some men decide to dress more feminine? Is there a bomb somewhere that I dont know about that is going to explode if too many men wear feminine clothes?

What happens?

What are the consequences?

I think when you get a bit older and see with a wider perspective on society, you see how all these things fit together and work to create a certain world. Looking at individual factors, nothing seems to make a difference to anything - why does it matter if I drop that bit of litter? Who cares if I speed sometimes? So what if fewer children have two parents?

Some people surely do long for a society where men are essentially like women with dicks, without any typical masculine traits - and that's fine. But it's so naive to think it just makes no difference, that everything would stay the same except for that one particular factor.
Personally, I fail to understand why a young child even needs to know what a homosexual is.

IF as a society, we are going to go down the road of accepting famillies involving one or more homosexual parents, surely we will arrive at a stage where it is considered similar to single-parent-famillies. Whilst it is certainly not the norm, it is hardly considered taboo.

Perhaps my memory is blurred, but I really cannot remember having a concept of single parenthood as a young child. Certainly, it was never taught that single parents should be accepted in the same way the normal domestic model is. Surely, a similar situation should apply to homosexual parents?

That being said, I hardly believe teaching about different kinds of family is going to somehow going to impact the kind of familly a young child may potentially have in over 20 years.
This is what I'm talking about exactly, this is problem with society today, you get overly aggressive and defensive individuals as yourself as Silent ninja perfectly said, trying to ram their beliefs down other people throats. Besides the fact your sentence is an oxymoron, some of us men, like to be men and don't find the sight or the fact that tight jeans and the whole other assortment of over feminine clothing has become common place.

Or aren't we allowed to hold these views :rolleyes:

sorry I'm still going to say it.

It's relevant in the fact that society is overwhelming pushing the feminine and androgynous ideal of a man and men in general. And who mentioned gays? there's a difference between the two.

Im not trying to ram my beliefs down other peoples throats, I am trying to get people to defend their beliefs.

Has it occured to you that your tastes may not represent the tastes of all men?

If a man decides to dress like a woman and take it up the ass, what effect does it have on your life? Go ahead, explain it to me.
tbh the population is increasing so I guess this could be a decent way of controlling population increase.

Also if guys grow up gay then there's less competition for girls, so...
I think when you get a bit older and see with a wider perspective on society, you see how all these things fit together and work to create a certain world. Looking at individual factors, nothing seems to make a difference to anything - why does it matter if I drop that bit of litter? Who cares if I speed sometimes? So what if fewer children have two parents?

Some people surely do long for a society where men are essentially like women with dicks, without any typical masculine traits - and that's fine. But it's so naive to think it just makes no difference, that everything would stay the same except for that one particular factor.

Piss off. Im probably older than you, and I probably have more experience of the world.
Why is the 'certain world' you talk about the right world?
Original post by Selkarn
It's ****ing disgusting, let kids have their innocence and don't force vile stuff about any form of sexuality down their throats. In my opinion it's propaganda of the highest order - forcing anything upon someone from such a young age is disgraceful. Stonewall are totalitarian scum for doing this.

Let people live freely.

Its a shame that you dont think that gay people should be able to live freely.
Reply 74
Its a shame that you dont think that gay people should be able to live freely.

Where did I say " gay people shouldn't be able to live freely"? Quote it.
I find that quite vague, I'm not sure what you mean.

Well sexual preference comes with emotion. People fall in love, have feelings for each other, so of course sexual preference is far deeper than deciding whether or not to go to University. Whilst I appreciate that you acknowledged this, it does mean that sexual preference is in no way comparable to deciding whether or not to go to University, as the decision or inclination be it conscious or subconscious, is made based on so many different elements that they're just not similar.

My analogy wasn't meant to lead to that conclusion. That conclusion is already evident and I didn't think it was seriously contested by anyone.

Well you have yet to provide any evidence.
Reply 76
Im not trying to ram my beliefs down other peoples throats, I am trying to get people to defend their beliefs.

Has it occured to you that your tastes may not represent the tastes of all men?

If a man decides to dress like a woman and take it up the ass, what effect does it have on your life? Go ahead, explain it to me.

Yes you are, if you hadn't you wouldn't of quoted me in the first place. You're trying to force me to accept your interpretation of how men should dress and act like, I don't agree with you and I won't agree with you. And I never once mentioned that my views are to be generalized but ironically enough alot of people I know and most girls on tsr (if that's anything to go by) seems to agree with me.

And for the nth time before you lose your wig I didn't mention the word gay once. And if I did so what? maybe you should learn to read before making assertions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Holding it doesnt cause harm, expressing it does.

So you're not allowed to express that you disagree with homosexuality? That should be a crime?
If that isn't stuffing your beliefs down someones throat, I don't know what is.

Now, please enlighten me as to why it is right to be homophobic

Because I have a right to believe space monkeys exist and humans came to earth on flying saucers? How is that relevant?

I could give you an equally irrational reason (such as religion), but that's besides the point. It's a right.

You didn't give a rational reason to accept it in any case.
Original post by imperial maniac
True, I suppose the only people who would be offended by this is people who feel threatened by homosexuality.

I really don't think a single person in the world is actually threatened by homosexuality.
What could they possibly be scared of?

Someone like this

smearing lipstick on them?

or

picking up their girlfriend.

Come on get real.

The only reason some people even care about gays is because of religion.
No religion no one would give a **** what others ****ed.
Original post by Selkarn

Let people live freely.

You have yet to explain how telling children that some people have two parents of the same gender is forcing homosexuality down childrens' throats. After all, when we commonly assume that children have two parents of a different gender, are we forcing heterosexuality down childrens' throats? No, of course we aren't, and this is no different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending