The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silent ninja
The person I quoted just did, so do a lot of others. So you just debunked that whole argument. We agree then.

Anyway, the rest of my post (which you only quote part of) explains my stance. The state can't tell people what to believe. Whether it is for a religious or personal reason, they are perfectly entitled to be against homosexuality as long as nobody is harmed.

It doesn't cause anybody harm in holding the view that homosexuality is wrong by that logic. It's not a thought crime.

I don't agree with your comparison of homosexuality and cannibalism but yeah, the poster you quoted should probably have said natural, in that it occurs in nature, rather than 'normal', though that is increasingly used as a synonym for 'natural' anyway.
And whether people with pre-existing homophobic views are harming anyone or breaking the law is an entirely different matter, the issue at hand is whether teaching children to accept homosexuality i s 'crossing the line' as the OP puts it.
Original post by Selkarn
Where did I say " gay people shouldn't be able to live freely"? Quote it.

You implied it when you said that you were against people being taught that they should be accepted.
Original post by 2ndClass
Yes you are, if you hadn't you wouldn't of quoted me in the first place. You're trying to force me to accept your interpretation of how men should dress and act like, I don't agree with you and I won't agree with you. And I never once mentioned that my views are to be generalized but ironically enough alot of people I know and most girls on tsr (if that's anything to go by) seems to agree with me.

And for the nth time before you lose your wig I didn't mention the word gay once. And if I did so what? maybe you should learn to read before making assertions.

Right/wrong is not decided by majority opinion. You could have the entire ****ing world agree with you, it wouldnt mean that there was any reasoning behind what you say.

I dont have an opinion on how men should be. My opinion is that they should be free to be who they want to be. You seem to disagree.
Still waiting for a reason that it is right to be homophobic. I take it that none of you have one?
Reply 84
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
You have yet to explain how telling children that some people have two parents of the same gender is forcing homosexuality down childrens' throats.

Of course it is. We wouldn't have school pointing out that people have 2 parents of opposite genders, why should it be the other way around?

You don't need any of this totalitarian ****. Let kids grow up and have their innocence without having to think about things relating to sex. Schools should be places of learning, not places of brainwashing by totalitarian trash who get angry that people have different opinions to them.
Reply 85
Original post by morecambebay
You implied it when you said that you were against people being taught that they should be accepted.

Wrong. I didn't.
So you're not allowed to express that you disagree with homosexuality? That should be a crime?
If that isn't stuffing your beliefs down someones throat, I don't know what is.

Because I have a right to believe space monkeys exist and humans came to earth on flying saucers? How is that relevant?

I could give you an equally irrational reason (such as religion), but that's besides the point. It's a right.

You didn't give a rational reason to accept it in any case.

I didnt say that it should be a crime, I said that it harmed people.

Having the right to believe something does not make that belief right. I have the right to believe that 2+2=5 I would be wrong though.
Reply 87
That's just sick. I mean wearing frocks. Whoa.
Original post by imperial maniac
Is this a good thing?

Yes it will lead to less homophobia :smile:
You have yet to explain how telling children that some people have two parents of the same gender is forcing homosexuality down childrens' throats. After all, when we commonly assume that children have two parents of a different gender, are we forcing heterosexuality down childrens' throats? No, of course we aren't, and this is no different.

lol
Thats kinda unavoidable since they're gonna ask where they came from... ain't gonna be from a gay couple now is it?

It's relevant in the fact that society is overwhelming pushing the feminine and androgynous ideal of a man and men in general. And who mentioned gays? there's a difference between the two.

I fail to see any problem with the change in what society views as a 'normal man'. And that's exactly my point, you bringing it up in the first place seemed to suggest that there was some sort of correlation between the two, when homosexuality itself has nothing to do with how someone dresses.
Reply 91
Original post by tehFrance
Yes it will lead to less homophobia :smile:

In some people's views, that isn't a good thing. It's all relative.
Original post by Selkarn
Of course it is. We wouldn't have school pointing out that people have 2 parents of opposite genders, why should it be the other way around?

You don't need any of this totalitarian ****. Let kids grow up and have their innocence without having to think about things relating to sex. Schools should be places of learning, not places of brainwashing by totalitarian trash who get angry that people have different opinions to them.

When you were at school, did you ever read a children's book? You may have noticed that the kids had 2 parents of opposite genders.

Would you think it was forcing it down their throats to have a character in a story who had two dads, or two mums?

Either the same rule for both (heterosexual and homosexual parents in books okay) or you should NEVER mention the parents in books at school.
Reply 93
Original post by cttp_ngaf
I never sat down and weighed up the pros and cons of going to uni, I just felt that was the normal/right/obvious thing to do. Just like I never had a nice long, hard, sweaty think about if I prefer girls or boys. I just knew.

I don't consider them to be exactly analogous themes, and I do think that something as basic as broad sexual preference comes from a deeper place than uni choice, but it's not without influence from the environment.

:ahee:
Original post by Selkarn
In some people's views, that isn't a good thing. It's all relative.

How isn't it good :confused:
Original post by Selkarn

So you think schools should completely deny the existence of heterosexual parents ...? :confused: Practically every story book that children read has a heterosexual couple in it, it's unavoidable. All that's happening is that some books are being introduced with gay couples in them.

This is nothing to do with sex. Why do people make the ridiculous assumption that by teaching children about different couples you're also teaching them about sex? This is about relationships, and has nothing to do with sex.

And yes schools should be places of learning, hence why we teach children that sometimes people have gay parents, so children know more about the wider world. Learning isn't just Maths, Science and English, but it's also PSHCE, and this is part of it.

lol
Thats kinda unavoidable since they're gonna ask where they came from... ain't gonna be from a gay couple now is it?

Unavoidable or not, by his definition it's forcing heterosexuality down a child's throat, apparently.
Original post by lightburns
When you were at school, did you ever read a children's book? You may have noticed that the kids had 2 parents of opposite genders.

Would you think it was forcing it down their throats to have a character in a story who had two dads, or two mums?

Either the same rule for both (heterosexual and homosexual parents in books okay) or you should NEVER mention the parents in books at school.

Well I prefectly understand the view of being against same sex parents. It's not natural is it? If it were natural a gay couple would give birth to a child. It's not a biological defect, it's a total absence of the ability to do this. It's not in our makeup and never was. Instead, a gay couple get a child from elsewhere.

Books have opposite gender parents because naturally that's what gives rise to a child (and most probably the book is depicting his/her biological PARENTS). So how could this possibly be biased toward heterosexuals?

That comparison fails.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by gingerrama
I fail to see any problem with the change in what society views as a 'normal man'.And that's exactly my point, you bringing it up in the first place seemed to suggest that there was some sort of correlation between the two, when homosexuality itself has nothing to do with how someone dresses.

Well you're not a man are you? and if you don't see the problem, does that mean I shouldn't? or does that I mean I should take your views to matter more or supersede mine?
That's where the issue lies to be honest, where does the line stand what is society trying to promote by over feminizing men?

Original post by morecambebay
Right/wrong is not decided by majority opinion. You could have the entire ****ing world agree with you, it wouldnt mean that there was any reasoning behind what you say.

I dont have an opinion on how men should be. My opinion is that they should be free to be who they want to be. You seem to disagree.

Erm for most part they are. And secondly this was never about who should be free do what. It was about my dislike and probably most men's dislike of the forceful push to feminize them.
(edited 13 years ago)

Unavoidable or not, by his definition it's forcing heterosexuality down a child's throat, apparently.

So by being born the child is having heterosexuality forced down his/her throat?

That's hilarious.
Well you're not a man are you? and if you don't see the problem, does that mean I shouldn't? or does that I mean I should take your views to matter more or supersede mine?
That's where the issue lies to be honest, where does the line stand what is society trying to promote by over feminizing men?

Don't be so defensive, I'm just trying to have to have a discussion. Are you saying that this "over-feminisation" is causing you to feel insecure about your own masculinity?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending