The Student Room Group

Talking finance

Currently contemplating whether to change my address on the 2011 census...
Spend half the week with my Mum (a teacher who earns a reasonable amount) and my Dad (retired, on pension credit). If I legally change my address to my Dad's, will it change anything regarding student finance and bursaries? I'm not sure if you need to have been living at the address for a certain amount of time..? If anyone knows anything, I much appreciate it! Thank you
Original post by csea
Currently contemplating whether to change my address on the 2011 census...
Spend half the week with my Mum (a teacher who earns a reasonable amount) and my Dad (retired, on pension credit). If I legally change my address to my Dad's, will it change anything regarding student finance and bursaries? I'm not sure if you need to have been living at the address for a certain amount of time..? If anyone knows anything, I much appreciate it! Thank you

The census and Student Finance aren't connected. If you put one address on the census and then another on your finance application, I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause any problems.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The census and Student Finance aren't connected. If you put one address on the census and then another on your finance application, I'm pretty sure it doesn't cause any problems.

^ This... by changing your address on the census you're not legally changing it I wouldn't think.

The census is just like a big survey so that the government can plan services etc basic on where/how people live.
Reply 3
Original post by gillipies
^ This... by changing your address on the census you're not legally changing it I wouldn't think.

The census is just like a big survey so that the government can plan services etc basic on where/how people live.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! But then how do you claim that you live somewhere else?
Reply 4
Original post by csea
Ok, thanks for clearing that up! But then how do you claim that you live somewhere else?

No idea, unfortunately - sorry!
You live at the address:
where you are on the electoral roll
where the adult gets child tax credit for you
where child allowance was paid

It isn't a case of choosing!
Reply 6
Original post by csea

What do you mean?

The address you put down on the Census (which, as mentioned, has absolutely no implications for anything else at all - including SF) is the address you lived at on the 27th of March 2011. Or whatever the census day was.

There's no such thing as "legally" changing address as far as I'm aware. Not in the sense you're thinking of.

If asked for proof of address then you provide a bill, bank statement or something similar. Though this won't be necessary for SF.

As far as Student Finance goes, they do only take the income of one parent (and, if he or she exists, a the partner of that parent also) into account. I'm not exactly sure how they chose, just whichever seems most appropriate (who you live with the longest/who has supported you the most).

Assuming your parents are divorced, do you have a custodial parent? Who receives child benefit? Your mother?
Reply 7
Original post by River85
What do you mean?

The address you put down on the Census (which, as mentioned, has absolutely no implications for anything else at all - including SF) is the address you lived at on the 27th of March 2011. Or whatever the census day was.

There's no such thing as "legally" changing address as far as I'm aware. Not in the sense you're thinking of.

If asked for proof of address then you provide a bill, bank statement or something similar. Though this won't be necessary for SF.

As far as Student Finance goes, they do only take the income of one parent (and, if he or she exists, a the partner of that parent also) into account. I'm not exactly sure how they chose, just whichever seems most appropriate (who you live with the longest/who has supported you the most).

Assuming your parents are divorced, do you have a custodial parent? Who receives child benefit? Your mother?

yeah my parents are separated and have been since I was 4 - my Mum used to get support but not any more, and I can provide a bank statement with my Dad's address on it, will this be sufficient for SF?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending