The Student Room Group

Could you go out someone who was politically opposite you?

Scroll to see replies

I once got with a girl who was pretty damn right wing. I thought about taking it to the next level, but I just couldn't do it. She went hunting for God's sake.
Reply 21
No never.
Original post by Bellissima
i definitely couldn't date even a casual BNP member

i'm not religious but i also couldn't date an extreme atheist who kept making fun of religious people and calling them stupid/narrow minded or an extreme theist who kept quoting the bible every 5 seconds since i'm kind of in the middle.

Same here. I'm not an extreme Christian. I try, but I'm not the best example of a Christian. I don't shove it down peoples throats though. Loads of my friends are surprised when they find out I am. :lol: I think they see me as agnostic. But no, definitely no BNP members, and nobody with extreme views towards any religion, whether it's for or against it.
Reply 23
Original post by Foo.mp3
Kinda forced to

..as there's no-one with quite my political outlook ideology (Post-Modernist and Neo-Functionalist IR thinker, who borrows from the English School, with something of a Neo-Pragmatist Neo-Conservative Collectivist [something of a contradiction I know!])

what? in english please! :tongue:
Reply 24
NO
Reply 25
as long as they didn't shove their opinions and beliefs down my throat.
Reply 26
I don't even know where my partner stands politically. I don't discuss politics, I don't see it being an important discussion topic since I can't vote as of yet.
Yes.
Reply 28
It'll be political banter!
Reply 29
It depends how far your political views are apart. Someone moderately left with someone moderately right, I think you'd be alright. But a communist with a neo-nazi clearly isn't going to work, their view of the world is so different that even on non-political issues their not going to have a lot in common.

Like other people have said it wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't constantly try to convert me to their way of thinking.
(edited 13 years ago)
I wouldn't have a problem, as long as it doesn't interfere with their personality i.e. they're not completely in your face about it all the time, even at inappropriate times (been there unfortunately :rolleyes: ).
I was just thinking about this question. I usually can keep my opinions to myself or lightly debate topics but underneath I can sometimes get extremely passionate and angry. I could easily go out with somebody who didn't talk about politics much but was different to me but I don't think I could handle some lefty who wouldn't shut up.
My girlfriends supports the green party. I consider (most) of my views to be fairly right wing though I support the welfare state and all that jazz. We had an argument when Fukushima went kaput but otherwise it's gravy
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Socially conservative Communists aren't my type really...
Original post by Bellissima
eg. if you're left wing could you date a right winger and vice versa?

i don't think i could, if they were really vocal about it i definitely don't think i could. if they were opposite, but didn't ever bring it up, i probably could.

My ex was very far right-wing, and I'm incredibly left.
He voted Conservative, but he would have voted BNP if he didn't think people would disown him for it. Major problem being in our relationship, that I am practically foreign, he said he wouldn't have gone out with me if 'I didn't look white.'
He used to have major goes about EMA and benefits and crap like that.
He once told our housemate something along the lines of 'Your dad works in a factory, therefore he should get paid minimum wage. But my dad is a GP therefore he deserves to get paid wayyyy more than he is currently getting, because he's actually doing something for the country.'
I swear to God, never again.
Yes definitely, then I'd form a coalition with her and make cuts!

Oh, sorry, that's what Cameron did when got in a relationship with Clegg, my bad!
Reply 37
Not now. Maybe later on in life when I realise the same stuff's going to happen whoever gets in (so I'm told) I won't be too fussed.
Don't really care, everybody is entitled to their own political view.

Plus I've never met a single person in my life that shares the same political view as me, so I expect my friends/partners not to share similar views as me.

Only exception is fascist/extremist views, I don't tolerate that.
Reply 39
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Yes definitely, then I'd form a coalition with her and make cuts!

Oh, sorry, that's what Cameron did when got in a relationship with Clegg, my bad!

haha i'd +1 if i could!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending