The Student Room Group

What did the cuts march achieve?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by i.am.lost
Whether we like it or not, the cuts are necessary to get the public finances in order.

Cuts are neccessary but not what Cameron has chosen to cut. We need to start with cutting Trident not our education.
Original post by f00ddude
ok, thats like saying its not going to make a difference if 1 person takes enviromental meassures, so lets none of us bother
with your kinda thinking look what happened to Ireland

What happened in Ireland is far more to do with the instability of their banks, and the far bigger relative cost of bailing them out than here in the UK from what I can gather. The situations aren't really comparable.
Reply 22
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
What happened in Ireland is far more to do with the instability of their banks, and the far bigger relative cost of bailing them out than here in the UK from what I can gather. The situations aren't really comparable.

If we were going by your view the exact same thing would have happened. we did bail our banks out, early on in the process which prevented a dominos effect (banks rely on each other in times of crisis), but to say that we wouldn't have had a sitation like Irelands is extremly niave. the reason they needed to be bailed out was because they couldnt get a loan from anyone due to the national debt becoming so large noone would lend them money in the traditional way
even when the tories got in our economy was still shooting down hill and we would have been in so much debt that we would not have been able to get any loans. It is only by the drastic cuts that we can still get the loans
Original post by f00ddude
If we were going by your view the exact same thing would have happened. we did bail our banks out, early on in the process which prevented a dominos effect (banks rely on each other in times of crisis), but to say that we wouldn't have had a sitation like Irelands is extremly niave. the reason they needed to be bailed out was because they couldnt get a loan from anyone due to the national debt becoming so large noone would lend them money in the traditional way
even when the tories got in our economy was still shooting down hill and we would have been in so much debt that we would not have been able to get any loans. It is only by the drastic cuts that we can still get the loans

You're confusing the national debt and the budget deficit. They're two different things, so I get the impression you don't really know what you're talking about ...
Reply 24
Original post by Tnetinbum
It showed that Ed Miliband really is completely out of touch with reality and is begging to be made a puppet by the unions. He had no right to be part of a demonstration when just under a year ago intended to make cuts that were just as bad.

And the police are completely and utterly useless. If this was the USA those anarchists would be locked up in hours.

Anarchists or simply a expected function within a democracy? Lol the country of FREEDOM would lock them up?
Reply 25
You're confusing the national debt and the budget deficit. They're two different things, so I get the impression you don't really know what you're talking about ...

Both were stupidly high
Reply 26
And this is why our country and DEMOCRACY is going to ****

What would have happened if our ancestors allowed the elites to do whatever they wanted?????
The conservatives did not win the election outright, they with the Lib dems could be deemed as an unelected parliament
People elected them on false grounds ( for example tuition fees, their pledge that they wouldnt touch the NHS now they are practically trying to privatise it)

Without people protesting even if it is small, then we would have no say whatsoever

So when has this worked before:
-Poll tax in the 1980s
-French revolution in 1789 and other subsequent ones
-Cuban Revolution
Lots of others, im not gonna make a list, thats why we need to learn about history!

We have not always had the rights we have now, or the services, we FOUGHT for them and we should FIGHT AGAIN TO KEEP THEM. People our age are too short sighted and sucked into capitalism and making money

These people are not saying to not cut because obviously we need it but they are saying to not CUT AS FAST AND TO LEAVE FRONT LINE SERVICES ALONE
Even America is cutting over a 10 year period not a 4 year one, yet again the poorest lose out
The government have money for trident and the Olympics but nothing to invest for the NHS

One last thing...........in 1945 we had the largest national debt yet the government built the whole welfare state and as a country and economy we came out just fine and our heath and welfare service is commended throughout the world...there are faults but nothing is perfect and we can fix those without privatisation

In addition, the best healthcare system in the world and most advanced is in Cuba a communist country
(edited 13 years ago)
widespread media coverage
Reply 28
Capitalism is the base of democracy that we live in.

And until that exists we are going nowhere as they are the real controllers.

Rich are getting richer with the scamming monopoly they have created and poor are getting pooer because they have no chance.
nothing. except a lot of damage. including a damaged perception of protesters lol
Oh look, people that aren't students marching.
1. Shops that were trashed were mostly (E.G. Topshop) for tax evasion.

2. The damage to those shops isn't paid for by the taxpayer...

3. They will change very little, or more likely, nothing. Unfortunately, protest never does, only revolution.

4. I don't remember the other points I was going to put.

Oh, I suppose :

5. I find it a shame that protest changes nothing, what kind of democracy do we have? Individuals have no power, groups have no power. I also find it a shame that a lot of the people causing damage there don't actually have a clue what it's all about...I heard a few 'BLUP!'s and 'ZOOP!'s..... aswell as gunfingers 2k11 .... blap.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by B-Man.
Cuts are neccessary but not what Cameron has chosen to cut. We need to start with cutting Trident not our education.

Going by another post on here this would cost far more money than we would gain.

Firstly penalty clauses from treaties and things.

Secondly the jobs that go with it.

Thirdly you have the security considerations
Original post by anoushka1
And this is why our country and DEMOCRACY is going to ****

What would have happened if our ancestors allowed the elites to do whatever they wanted?????
The conservatives did not win the election outright, they with the Lib dems could be deemed as an unelected parliament
People elected them on false grounds ( for example tuition fees, their pledge that they wouldnt touch the NHS now they are practically trying to privatise it)

Without people protesting even if it is small, then we would have no say whatsoever

So when has this worked before:
-Poll tax in the 1980s
-French revolution in 1789 and other subsequent ones
-Cuban Revolution
Lots of others, im not gonna make a list, thats why we need to learn about history!

We have not always had the rights we have now, or the services, we FOUGHT for them and we should FIGHT AGAIN TO KEEP THEM. People our age are too short sighted and sucked into capitalism and making money

These people are not saying to not cut because obviously we need it but they are saying to not CUT AS FAST AND TO LEAVE FRONT LINE SERVICES ALONE
Even America is cutting over a 10 year period not a 4 year one, yet again the poorest lose out
The government have money for trident and the Olympics but nothing to invest for the NHS

One last thing...........in 1945 we had the largest national debt yet the government built the whole welfare state and as a country and economy we came out just fine and our heath and welfare service is commended throughout the world...there are faults but nothing is perfect and we can fix those without privatisation

In addition, the best healthcare system in the world and most advanced is in Cuba a communist country

Can I just say, REVOLUTION, is very different to PROTEST.
Reply 34
Original post by hardleyouth
Can I just say, REVOLUTION, is very different to PROTEST.

What I meant was the people acting collectively, actually doing something about the way their country is run

A revolution does not pop out of anywhere, they start off from protests such as these
Everyone is saying protests dont change anything but there always has to be a starting point
Reply 35
The Mail seems to be making no mention of any TUC march, on tomorrows front page:banghead:

New low.
Reply 36
Original post by Stratos
Anarchists or simply a expected function within a democracy? Lol the country of FREEDOM would lock them up?

Cool, thanks for letting me know I have the freedom to smash windows, throw lightbulbs and start fires whenever I want.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by B-Man.

Fool.
Reply 38
Made them look stupid.

Only 250 thousand people attended in a country of nearly 70 million.

They're a noisy, worthless few.
Reply 39
Whilst the cuts are necessary at some point, they're not necessary at this speed and ferocity, which is what I think the march was about.

Nonsense, that's what people like Ed Balls wanted it to be about, not to mention some of the more moderate lefties who wanted to present it as something more than an assembly of the usual wasters. In reality, the most ubiquitous banner and slogan attached to the march was a simple one: "no cuts". Not "slower cuts", "no cuts". These people were the typical head-in-the-sand far left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending