The Student Room Group

The 'State' and the 'government'

Are they both the same? Like would the state be the government, i.e. the coalition?

Please help, :cry2:

Thanks a bunch :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I would say they are the same.
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
Yeah I would say they are the same.

How sure are you?
Reply 3
Original post by c0nfus3d
How sure are you?

Fairly sure. Wait for other posters to confirm though.
Reply 4
I think they are subtly different in as much as that the state usually refers to the entire governing body of England, while the government is something that changes every five years. The government is the controlling force of the state.
No, the Government is only part of the state.
The state is made up of three fundamental parts:
The Government.
The Legislature.
The Executives.
Reply 6
Original post by MathematicsKiller
No, the Government is only part of the state.
The state is made up of three fundamental parts:
The Government.
The Legislature.
The Executives

What does that mean^ ?

:colondollar:
Reply 7
Government - the core executive that is responsible for the enforcement of decisions.

Civil service - the implementers and enforcers of policy and providers of services (includes Armed Forces and Diplomatic Corps)

Legislature - holds both of these to account.
Reply 8
Original post by gladders
Government - the core executive that is responsible for the enforcement of decisions.

Civil service - the implementers and enforcers of policy and providers of services (includes Armed Forces and Diplomatic Corps)

Legislature - holds both of these to account.

Thankyou!! :cool: :cool: :cool: Will give rep in an hour or two to those who helped me :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 10
The government is the three branches (Sovereign/PM and Cabinet, Parliament, the Supreme Court), and the state is the institutions. So things like government departments, the NHS, etc.
Reply 12
Original post by rajandkwameali
The government is the three branches (Sovereign/PM and Cabinet, Parliament, the Supreme Court), and the state is the institutions. So things like government departments, the NHS, etc.

All the other posters are saying that the government forms part of the state and the state is divided into three branches :awesome:
Reply 13
No. The state is everything state-provided, including things like embassies and the NHS.
Reply 14
SO Britain is a sovereign state?
Reply 15
Original post by Planar
No. The state is everything state-provided, including things like embassies and the NHS.

is that the same as a sovereign state?
SO Britain is a sovereign state?

No, it's a colony/depedent territory.
Reply 17
Original post by rajandkwameali
No, it's a colony/depedent territory.

is it a unitary state?
Reply 18
is it a unitary state?

Yes, but sovereign states and unitary states aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Edit: basically it's both.
(edited 13 years ago)
c0nfus3d
Are they both the same? Like would the state be the government, i.e. the coalition?

Please help, :cry2:

Thanks a bunch

It depends on which context you're referring to.

In academia, modern usage of 'state' tends to refer to the nation-state which is bounded land over which a government excercises territoriality. A government ruling a nation of people within a bounded space.

When the general public (and in most cases, politicians too) refer to the state, they're usually simply referring to the government on its own as a separate entity to the nation i.e. in the case of 'state welfare provision', 'rolling back the state' etc.

Edit:

is that the same as a sovereign state?

When people say 'sovereign state' they're referring to my first definition, governmental rule over a geographic area and all those who reside within its boundaries.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending