The Student Room Group

How to get a First on an essay

Can there be such a thing as too much quoting?

How do you expand on the quotes you made?

Is it wise to criticize quotes and point out flaws in arguments?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump :cry2:
Original post by c0nfus3d
Can there be such a thing as too much quoting?

Yes!

How do you expand on the quotes you made?

You don't! Keep them to a minimum and use tactically to prove a point. Don't rely on them to make the essay, otherwise you're just regurgitating and pulling together what has already been said by everyone else.

Is it wise to criticize quotes and point out flaws in arguments?

Yes!
Sexual favours.
MAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSIVE bibliography and criticise the question is what i've been told!
I got a 78 two weeks ago, God knows how though. :lolwut:
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

And how is this relevant to the thread?
Reply 7
Never quote. If you paraphrase you show that you understand what the author is talking about.
Consider both sides of an argument and reference.
Consider several points and link them together to aid the flow of the body.
Back up any ideas you have with sources (kind of obviously really, but easy to forget. You can't come up with your own theories at undergraduate level).
A strong introduction that says what you're going to talk about, and a conclusion that wraps everything up but avoid saying the exact same thing over again in condensed form. The conclusion should also refer back to the introduction in some way.

And RTFQ. Too many people in my group at uni do poorly at essays because they don't answer the question. They might write a great essay but it means nothing if it isn't what is asked from you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gunmetalpanda
And how is this relevant to the thread?

Well, the thread is about getting a first in an essay.
A 78 is a first in an essay.

Following? :rolleyes:
Reply 9

Doesn't answer the question though, does it?

It doesn't answer the question, you just want to brag about getting a first adding nothing to the discussion. Unlike me.

I get what you mean. OP asks ''How to get a first in an essay'', you say ''I got 78, god knows how''. In other words you can't really offer advice on HOW you achieved the first as you yourself are not sure HOW you did it in the first place. Right?

I got an 80 once @ uni, and the same as yourself god knows how because I really don't know how I did it.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've often brought in a lot of my own ideas to show that I'm not just referencing other people's ideas but thinking outside the box as well.
Reply 13

Does God also know why you now walk with a pronounced limp? Because I suspect the two may not be unrelated.
Reply 14
Original post by DancinBallerina
I get what you mean. OP asks ''How to get a first in an essay'', you say ''I got 78, god knows how''. In other words you can't really offer advice on HOW you achieved the first as you yourself are not sure HOW you did it in the first place. Right?

I got an 80 once @ uni, and the same as yourself god knows how because I really don't know how I did it.

Yeah, I guess that's acceptable :awesome:
Reply 15
Emergency! Could you make a quote and then state that you think it's got its good points bu in other ways it's quite weak?

I'm scared of saying that I know better than the person I am quoting :awesome:
Reply 16
Emergency! Could you make a quote and then state that you think it's got its good points bu in other ways it's quite weak?

I'm scared of saying that I know better than the person I am quoting :awesome:

Read the first two points of my original post...
Reply 17
Original post by FXX
Read the first two points of my original post...

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can :ahee:
Reply 18
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can :ahee:

You can do whatever you like, but if you want a first you should avoid quoting because otherwise you can't prove you understand what it means. And then if you go on to explain it, you've basically wasted words and won't gain any extra credit.

As far as disagreeing with the quote, you need to provide further references for that. As I also said you can't go around making up your own theories, so if you want to disagree, you have to say why by paraphrasing from another article.

You can't get a first by being lazy. If you're just going to treat good advice as a joke then don't bother making a thread.
Reply 19
It's good to show moderate restraint in referencing secondary sources. Your personal analysis should always come first.

Also, try to find quotations that argue against your point, as well as those that agree with it, so that you can prove them wrong.

And always kill all unnecessary words! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending