The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5600
Original post by Ecosse_14
I remember you saying your name on here ages ago :tongue: I has a good memory :wink:

You really do. I'm impressed. and slightly glad that I don't know you in real life and have not realised for all this time...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Oh-WOW
Sappho is mostly right except you can drop physcology after first semester if you want. I would imagine your adviser would be a bit pissy about it but it can be done. I also know of someone who, after a bit of a fight, dropped Modern History (which was what he applied for) and changed his degree intention to IR. So that can also be done if you are prepared to fight for it.

If you dropped a subject after Semester 1. what would happen to the one you picked up in its place? As in how would you make up for the modules you weren't able to take before, and would you still be able to then take that new subject to honours if you wished?
Bravo to your friend, but I'm guessing he was the exception rather than the rule. Must have put forward a really compelling argument!
(btw Imma rep you for all your help :wink:)
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
If you dropped a subject after Semester 1. what would happen to the one you picked up in its place? As in how would you make up for the modules you weren't able to take before, and would you still be able to then take that new subject to honours if you wished?
Bravo to your friend, but I'm guessing he was the exception rather than the rule. Must have put forward a really compelling argument!
(btw Imma rep you for all your help :wink:)

Depends on the module you want to pick up in semester 2 and the department. Some have prerequisites (ie. the semester 1 module) and others don't. You'll find that a lot of 2nd year modules require you to do both 1st year modules in order to be able to do them. Saying that, you could maybe still do them if you fight for it.
Ughh, organising transport is such a nightmare. Still undecided on whether to coach it (£40 return, but hellish 11h journey), fly (less than 2h to get there, costs £85 return but looks difficult getting to SA from Edinburgh) or go train (simplest way and middle journey time but costs about as much as flying + bus/taxi).

Also, does anyone know which is the cheapest accommodation available?
Ughh, organising transport is such a nightmare. Still undecided on whether to coach it (£40 return, but hellish 11h journey), fly (less than 2h to get there, costs £85 return but looks difficult getting to SA from Edinburgh) or go train (simplest way and middle journey time but costs about as much as flying + bus/taxi).

I've never done it myself but I've heard it's not that hard to get from Edinburgh to St Andrews. An option is to get a bus from the airport to the bus station then a bus straight to St Andrews. Also, is the train still that expensive when you book WAY in advance?

Cheapest accommodation = Albany Park.
Depends on the module you want to pick up in semester 2 and the department. Some have prerequisites (ie. the semester 1 module) and others don't. You'll find that a lot of 2nd year modules require you to do both 1st year modules in order to be able to do them. Saying that, you could maybe still do them if you fight for it.

Do you know how that would be possible? since I don't have self-cloning abilities (yet) :biggrin:
Oh wait, I just thought. I could do subjects A, B and C in Semester 1. Then drop A in Sem 2 and pick up D. The Sem 1 D modules I wasn't able to do originally I could maybe ask to do alongside my 2nd year modules the next year. That what you had in mind?
I've never done it myself but I've heard it's not that hard to get from Edinburgh to St Andrews. An option is to get a bus from the airport to the bus station then a bus straight to St Andrews. Also, is the train still that expensive when you book WAY in advance?

Cheapest accommodation = Albany Park.

Buses just confuse me. But I'll look into it more; after all it's a dirt cheap option.
I'm only booking 3 wks in advance, and I do live outside the London zones. I did get a quote for £20 but I think the guy must've been deaf :s-smilie:
And thanks!
Do you know how that would be possible? since I don't have self-cloning abilities (yet) :biggrin:
Oh wait, I just thought. I could do subjects A, B and C in Semester 1. Then drop A in Sem 2 and pick up D. The Sem 1 D modules I wasn't able to do originally I could maybe ask to do alongside my 2nd year modules the next year. That what you had in mind?

That's not what I had in mind but that is a much better plan. I actually know a few second years doing that this semester.

Buses just confuse me. But I'll look into it more; after all it's a dirt cheap option.
I'm only booking 3 wks in advance, and I do live outside the London zones. I did get a quote for £20 but I think the guy must've been deaf :s-smilie:
And thanks!

Check out national rail for train tickets/booking in advance for cheap prices. Sometimes you only get trains at a certain time that will be super cheap.
would you guys say St Andrews has a better geography department than Edinburgh ?
I am so confused to which university to pick, I don't know anyone from St Andrews and most of my teacher were or seemed very suprised that I go an unconditional and I also expected to be rejected / get a conditonal but then I feel like Edinburgh is such a lovely place to live ! and there is so much to do
That's not what I had in mind but that is a much better plan. I actually know a few second years doing that this semester.

Check out national rail for train tickets/booking in advance for cheap prices. Sometimes you only get trains at a certain time that will be super cheap.

*Phew*
Sorry to nitpick, but what did you have in mind?
I knew about national rail/ thetrainline -- why did that not occur to me? Thanks a lot~~
(edited 13 years ago)
*Phew*
Sorry to nitpick, but what did you have in mind?
I knew about national rail/ thetrainline -- why did that not occur to me? Thanks a lot~~

Just a word of advice if you decide to get the train... my uncle works for National Rail and advises not to use trainline for such a long journey because if there is a delay or trains don't run for some reason, your tickets aren't always valid on a different train whereas with National Rail it is fine. My family and I go up to Scotland fairly regularly by train and I would definitely suggest getting a 16-25 railcard, especially if you're likely to use the train to get to/from SA next year. I believe it's about £24 and you save 1/3 (someone correct if I'm wrong please) so you'd probably cover most of the cost of the card with one journey, if that makes sense.
Original post by hayheyley
Just a word of advice if you decide to get the train... my uncle works for National Rail and advises not to use trainline for such a long journey because if there is a delay or trains don't run for some reason, your tickets aren't always valid on a different train whereas with National Rail it is fine. My family and I go up to Scotland fairly regularly by train and I would definitely suggest getting a 16-25 railcard, especially if you're likely to use the train to get to/from SA next year. I believe it's about £24 and you save 1/3 (someone correct if I'm wrong please) so you'd probably cover most of the cost of the card with one journey, if that makes sense.

Oh I didn't know that that would be the case if it wasn't even my fault. Train companies are so mean. Many thanks for the warning!
I do have a 16-25. It's a lifesaver :smile:
How are you getting to StAs from Edinburgh this time? Just trying to work out how much more expensive that part of the journey would be
Reply 5612

The bus from the airport is pretty easy.
You get the 747 bus from the airport (it goes from stance 22 every 20 minutes) to ferrytoll park and ride and then the x59 to St Andrews. 12 minutes past the hour, every hour. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_7160_X59%20Fife%20.pdf
Ask for a student ticket all the way to St Andrews (ie. ask for one ticket on the first bus, don't break up the tickets) and it costs £7.60 each way.

Unless you are travelling on a sunday. then the bus is a bit of a nightmare and I would say either get the 747 to Inverkeithing and then get the train from there to Leuchars and the bus from Leuchars to St Andrews (never done it this way so not sure of prices) or get the Airbus (there's literally one every 5 minutes from outside the airport) to Edinburgh Waverly and then train to Leuchars and then bus to St Andrews. that works out a bit ore expensive. The bus is £3.50 and the train is usually between £7-£8 with a railcard. then the bus from Leuchars to St Andrews is £2 something.

I've realised this may all be a little confusing but the first option is the cheapest, easiest and usually quickest way. What time would you arrive at the airport? If you need any more information or clarification, just ask.
Reply 5613
Oh I didn't know that that would be the case if it wasn't even my fault. Train companies are so mean. Many thanks for the warning!
How are you getting to StAs from Edinburgh this time? Just trying to work out how much more expensive that part of the journey would be

Oh and if you just want to get from Edinburgh city centre then either get the X59 bus or train to Leuchars and then bus to St Andrews :smile:
bus from Edinburgh city centre to St Andrews is £6.30 each way or £10.50 return, with a student card.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Oh-WOW
The bus from the airport is pretty easy.
You get the 747 bus from the airport (it goes from stance 22 every 20 minutes) to ferrytoll park and ride and then the x59 to St Andrews. 12 minutes past the hour, every hour. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_7160_X59%20Fife%20.pdf
Ask for a student ticket all the way to St Andrews (ie. ask for one ticket on the first bus, don't break up the tickets) and it costs £7.60 each way.

Where is Stance 22?
Also if the x59 comes only once hourly, surely that could potentially be a much more onerous journey? I don't know about up in Scotland but here in Kent/ London buses aren't the most reliable modes of transport..
So I just say "student ticket to StAs please" on the 747 and that's me sorted? Great! Any discounts for my dad too? :smile:

or get the Airbus (there's literally one every 5 minutes from outside the airport) to Edinburgh Waverly and then train to Leuchars and then bus to St Andrews. that works out a bit ore expensive. The bus is £3.50 and the train is usually between £7-£8 with a railcard. then the bus from Leuchars to St Andrews is £2 something.

I've realised this may all be a little confusing but the first option is the cheapest, easiest and usually quickest way. What time would you arrive at the airport? If you need any more information or clarification, just ask.

Depending on the journey time for Edin > SA I would arrive at either 16.05 or 19.30 (latter is cheapest).

No problem :smile: Are you going for a visiting day?

"How are you getting to StAs from Edinburgh this time?" Is that directed at me? :confused: I'm not going to visit again before Sept, but when I went before I just got the train all the way to Leuchars then bus to SA. Sorry if that wasn't directed at me or I've misunderstood you!
Reply 5616
Where is Stance 22?
Also if the x59 comes only once hourly, surely that could potentially be a much more onerous journey? I don't know about up in Scotland but here in Kent/ London buses aren't the most reliable modes of transport..
So I just say "student ticket to StAs please" on the 747 and that's me sorted? Great! Any discounts for my dad too? :smile:

Depending on the journey time for Edin > SA I would arrive at either 16.05 or 19.30 (latter is cheapest).

Stance 22 is easy to find. You walk out the doors of the airport and to the left there's one or two bus stops and the place to get taxis and to the right there's about 10-15 bus stops. Turn to the right and stance 22 isn't too far along. it says stance 22 and JET 747 on it.
and yep, though they might ask you to show your student card. do you have one for school/college? and no discounts for your dad, I'm not sure what price a full ticket is as ovbiously, I've never bought one.
The hourly bus thing is a bit annoying, though they are pretty reliable. If you arrive at the airport at 16.05, the next bus to ferrytoll would be 16.20 so you would be in Ferrytoll for 16.40 and the next bus to St Andrews is at 17.30. so you would have a bit of a wait. you would be in St Andrews for 18.50
ah if you arrive at 19.30 this is a little more complicated, the 747 would come at 19.45, so you would be in Ferrytoll for 20.05. The bus is at 20.15. The only thing about this bus is that you have to merge with the glasgow bus at glenrothes. But all that involves is getting off one bus and getting onto the X24 which is usually sitting beside it. You'll know to do it because everyone else will. You would then arrive in St Andrews at 21.40.

I know this all sounds really complicated and I was pretty scared about doing this journey for the first time especially because I was on my own but it's fine really, you just need to know what you are looking for and if you're ensure, ask the bus driver, they are always really helpful.
I've done the bus-train-bus a few times as well and it's ok as well, just more expensive.
Also... when I asked what was the cheapest accommodation available, I meant B&B/ Hotel-wise. Not UG lodgings.. :tongue: sorry, should've been more clear
Original post by hayheyley
No problem :smile: Are you going for a visiting day?

"How are you getting to StAs from Edinburgh this time?" Is that directed at me? :confused: I'm not going to visit again before Sept, but when I went before I just got the train all the way to Leuchars then bus to SA. Sorry if that wasn't directed at me or I've misunderstood you!

Yes, it was!
Where did you stay?
Reply 5619
Also... when I asked what was the cheapest accommodation available, I meant B&B/ Hotel-wise. Not UG lodgings.. :tongue: sorry, should've been more clear

Theres a tourist hostel which is literally right in the centre. You can see the union through the window.
http://www.standrewshostel.com/

Other than that, there are plently of B and B's and they are all pretty expensive. As you wont have a car or anything, I would imagine you'll need somewhere central and most B and B's in the centre are expensive. There aren't really many cheap hotels in St Andrews, I'm afraid.

this gives a list of them
http://www.stayinstandrews.com/accommodation/
You would have to ring round the cheapest ones and see if they have any rooms and what price it would be because the price tends to vary depending on how busy they are.

Latest

Trending

Trending