The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2011law
Thanks sos much! I will try asking then :smile:
How's your application process going so far?

You're welcome! If you can do the year abroad, I would suggest you did, it really would make you more employable in the eyes of many lawyers - when I was applying, I did a survey of some (somewhat inebriated) senior partners of national law firms at a party, and all of them without exception said they'd value a graduate with a law degree including a year abroad.

Very well thanks, I shall be firming Cambridge (Fitzwilliam) and insuring Durham (St Chad's).
Firm: Warwick AAAD
Insurance: Trent 300 points
Reply 4122
Original post by Vinchenko
You're welcome! If you can do the year abroad, I would suggest you did, it really would make you more employable in the eyes of many lawyers - when I was applying, I did a survey of some (somewhat inebriated) senior partners of national law firms at a party, and all of them without exception said they'd value a graduate with a law degree including a year abroad.

Very well thanks, I shall be firming Cambridge (Fitzwilliam) and insuring Durham (St Chad's).

OMG Congratulations this is just AWESOME :biggrin:
Reply 4123
hey all can i just ask how you would rank these 5 unis...all comments welcome(even if they are rips on my unis :smile: ) Exeter, leicester, city, york, cardiff...all want AAA obv'
Reply 4124
aahh against all advice I've firmed Exeter over Bristol, with Kent as my insurance. mad? maybe.
Course: LLB Law
University: King's
Offer: 38 Conditional

UCAS Sent: 23rd November
Offer received: 26th March
Reply 4126
The wait is finally over!:biggrin:

King's College London (Firm)
Offer: AAAB

University of Nottingham (Insurance)
Offer: AAB

Cardiff University
Offer: ABB

University College London - REJECTED
London School of Economics - REJECTED

AS: aabb (aaaa after resit plus Top in Malaysia for History)
A2 prediction: A*AA? (A* in accounting, A in Economics and Mathematics, not sure about History)

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting. :biggrin:
Reply 4127
Original post by lionboy
hey all can i just ask how you would rank these 5 unis...all comments welcome(even if they are rips on my unis :smile: ) Exeter, leicester, city, york, cardiff...all want AAA obv'

This is just a personal opinion but I would choose:

York, Exeter, Leicester, Cardiff, City

Congratulations on your offers anyway!
Reply 4128
Is Warwick or UCL better for Law with French? What are the pros/cons of each? I can't decide between them :frown:
I can't decide between Durham and UCL!
Someone help :tongue:
Original post by lionboy

In my (fairly uninformed) opinion,
I'd probs say go for exeter or york,
the main disadvantage with york obvs being that their law dept. isn't very well established yet, but apparently they do have close links with a no. of city firms.
Exeter is obviously another good choice, but possibly could be overtaken by york in a couple oof years.
As for the cities themselves they're both beautiful (I used to live in york, so have always had a rather nostalgic view of it). Exeter's great as well, spent a week there this summer; found an amazing off-licence called "cheers", it sold these unlabled bottles of alchoholic red stuff for a quid a throw.
So yeah, that's pretty much my input, have fun choosing :smile:

Nice, they're both my firm and insurance (but Queen's and Collingwood)
Best of luck with the A* (y)
Original post by stafford1992
Nice, they're both my firm and insurance (but Queen's and Collingwood)
Best of luck with the A* (y)

Ah, Stephen Fry's college! Seems to be a popular choice of universities; I know I'd actually be happy going to either...did you go to the Durham open days earlier this week? Thanks, you too!
Original post by steffanie
I can't decide between Durham and UCL!
Someone help :tongue:

Durham because UCL rejected me :tongue: But seriously, I MUCH preferred Durham, not in terms of the teaching, which is probably fairly equal, but because life as a student in Durham really does seem amazing - you've got the friendly, collegiate atmosphere in an achingly beautiful, friendly city which is amazingly cheap to live in and near enough Newcastle if you find that Durham's range of clubs (cheap but small, from experience :tongue:) start to bore you! I would go there over UCL every time, no question. The teaching and prestige/employment levels are really very similar, so just think of the kind of life you'd have in each, and imagine which you'd prefer on that basis!
Hi, I've received all 5 offers but I don't know which one to firm. I've got Leeds, York, Liverpool, Sheffield and Newcastle.

All offers are AAA so I'm equally likely/unlikely to get into any of them.

Based purely on reputation which would you firm?
Original post by tomlocke489
Hi, I've received all 5 offers but I don't know which one to firm. I've got Leeds, York, Liverpool, Sheffield and Newcastle.

All offers are AAA so I'm equally likely/unlikely to get into any of them.

Based purely on reputation which would you firm?

hmm that's a tough decision..

I'd personally go with Sheffield or York... depends if you want to live RIGHT up north
Durham because UCL rejected me :tongue: But seriously, I MUCH preferred Durham, not in terms of the teaching, which is probably fairly equal, but because life as a student in Durham really does seem amazing - you've got the friendly, collegiate atmosphere in an achingly beautiful, friendly city which is amazingly cheap to live in and near enough Newcastle if you find that Durham's range of clubs (cheap but small, from experience :tongue:) start to bore you! I would go there over UCL every time, no question. The teaching and prestige/employment levels are really very similar, so just think of the kind of life you'd have in each, and imagine which you'd prefer on that basis!

This was my thinking, I was set on firming UCL at first, but then visited Durham and now have no idea where to pick :tongue:
I really liked it, but I think it's the fact that I already live there that's putting me off a bit, I love Durham but it would be nice to have a bit of a change!
Did you go to the open days this week?
Original post by steffanie
This was my thinking, I was set on firming UCL at first, but then visited Durham and now have no idea where to pick :tongue:
I really liked it, but I think it's the fact that I already live there that's putting me off a bit, I love Durham but it would be nice to have a bit of a change!
Did you go to the open days this week?

Yes I visited this week (Chad's) on Mon & Tues and even though it's my insurance choice, I absolutely adored it, and I'd really be happy going there. It's just...such a nice place to be. And even if you do live there currently, in all probability if you're going to be a good lawyer you'll be in London, so I wouldn't worry about missing out on living there at this stage of your life :tongue:! Especially since it's probably much more fun to live there when you're fairly successful than as a student, given how expensive to live there it is and how ABSOLUTELY DIRE the UCL accomodation is (catered means only 5 days a week, it's not guaranteed, it's all rubbish, it's some of the most expensive in the country, and most of it is at least 1km away). I mean I liked it, and the course was good, but I'd honestly just much rather to go to Durham in terms of student life - and there's nothing between them in terms of academics really.
Guys I need ure help..I have an offer from Cambridge to read Law and also LSE- both need A*AA, but which one should I take??? However, The Cambridge offer is only a deferred offer(which I didnt want), wheras LSE is for this year..Any thoughts guys.
Original post by rtzj00
Guys I need ure help..I have an offer from Cambridge to read Law and also LSE- both need A*AA, but which one should I take??? However, The Cambridge offer is only a deferred offer(which I didnt want), wheras LSE is for this year..Any thoughts guys.

I would say Cambridge, but because it's deferred, you must consider whether you are willing to pay £9,000 next year. In light of this, I say firm LSE>

Latest

Trending

Trending