The Student Room Group

Does JSA go on your record?

Hi guys,

I graduated from postgraduate studies in December and have been claiming Job seekers allowance since then til present. I will however be starting an internship abroad at the end of april.

Wanted to ask whether JSA i have been claiming for four months affect my record or goes on record?

Do i need to be worried?

thanks
What record?
You want to hope it does - you get National Insurance credit towards your state pension when you claim JSA.
Reply 2
for example if i start working, will my employers be able to see that I was on JSA claiming benefit?
Reply 3
Why would they give a damm?
Those working in benefits departments will know that you were on JSA as they will have access to your benefits record. However I really doubt an employer would know this unless they had been told you were on JSA, they shouldn't have access to these computer systems but they generally ask about what you've been up to during the last 3 years, including any gaps in employment history. Does it matter?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Are you attempting to B/S your prospective employer that you were doing something other than claim JS for that period?
Original post by Joinedup
Are you attempting to B/S your prospective employer that you were doing something other than claim JS for that period?

This is what I suspect too!
Original post by Riz_K
Hi guys,

I graduated from postgraduate studies in December and have been claiming Job seekers allowance since then til present. I will however be starting an internship abroad at the end of april.

Wanted to ask whether JSA i have been claiming for four months affect my record or goes on record?

Do i need to be worried?

thanks

There is a record in the DWP database that holds all benefit claims. Employers can't see it though, only DWP staff.
Original post by gateshipone
There is a record in the DWP database that holds all benefit claims. Employers can't see it though, only DWP staff.

And Local Authority benefit staff :wink:
Reply 9
To be honest, I would imagine there's very few graduates (whether an UG or PG degree) who haven't been on the dole, even if it was only for a couple of weeks
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
And Local Authority benefit staff :wink:

Oh yeah, forgot about them!
Reply 11
The payroll department will if you hand in your P45. However, this may not be the same people that interviewed you/you will work with.
Reply 12
Oh im just worried whether it looks bad and could prove to be a drawback in securing grad jobs or other employment.

I've been on it for 3 months now and will be starting paid internship work though soon anyway. Whilst ive been claiming JSA i have been helping out and working in a family business ( mainly as voluntary work).

Hope the JSA won't cause any drawbacks at job interviews etc?
Reply 13
What did you study out of interest?
Reply 14
Original post by Riz_K
Oh im just worried whether it looks bad and could prove to be a drawback in securing grad jobs or other employment.

I've been on it for 3 months now and will be starting paid internship work though soon anyway. Whilst ive been claiming JSA i have been helping out and working in a family business ( mainly as voluntary work).

Hope the JSA won't cause any drawbacks at job interviews etc?

whats the point in worrying u cant do anything about it.

But do they won't know, unless you're applying via a work placement arranged by JCP or something.
Reply 15
You've done a postgraduate degree and are seriously asking this question? Yes, claiming JSA is much like going to prison for murder. It always hangs over you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending