The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by JGR
Stonewall are hardy saying that homosexuality is "better" merely that it exists and that there's nothing wrong with it.

Which is, ultimately and unarguably, an opinion. And they are forcing that opinion on children.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the opinion. But it is an opinion.
Original post by imperial maniac
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, is that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Edit: Thanks for the neg guys... maybe I should I've pointed out that I'm not agreeing with the BNP in any way here, it's just an interesting point of contention and I wanted to see what people's opinions were on this. I don't think my post in any way suggests that I agree with them on this matter, I'm sitting on the fence, and made the thread so I could make a more informed decision after listening to the arguments for and against.

Sad thing about TSR, even if you don't agree with what is said in your thread...everyone here uses the shoot the messenger policy.
Reply 162
I just had a browse through some of the comments left at the end of the article. I literally cannot fathom how some people hold these views. The amount of times paedophilia was mentioned is ridiculous, and unnatural.

Astounded.
This is why I don't like the western system
you guys will not even allow the children to enjoy their innocence
before informing them about sex and gay propaganda :s-smilie: ..

Let them be children and when they are old enough 11/12 inform them about sex
and .. I personally believe its up to the parents to inform their children NOT the school!
Original post by LiterallyInsane
This is why I don't like the western system
you guys will not even allow the children to enjoy their innocence
before informing them about sex and gay propaganda :s-smilie: ..

Let them be children and when they are old enough 11/12 inform them about sex
and .. I personally believe its up to the parents to inform their children NOT the school!

Leave then? Planes go out as well as in.

It's not like they are going to be shown what dildos and whips are.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh BNP! It sickens me even to read that. Being in the closet is hard, even I don't think being gay should be encouraged as such.....but it's got to be taught that it's absolutely fine to be gay, and should be taught to EVERYONE so that nobody comes out of school, badly educated and gay-bashing. In our society everyone has the right to love who they want and shouldn't be picked on for it. If this argument is true- then maybe schools shouldn't teach that marriage is OK then, have an asexual education system. Jeez, we live in the 21st century...

Original post by morecambebay
Congratulations? Are you still gonna be proud of your ignorance when you have spent 50 yrs cleaning up other peoples piss?

I like that you were putting down a homophobic person, but what is it with people constantly degrading people in "menial" jobs. I work in an old people's home and it bugs me....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 166
I went through the comments section and flagged every comment as inappropriate. :shifty:
What a stupid thing to say. You can't "encourage" homosexuality. Some people are homosexual and some are heterosexual, and that's it. Sexual orientation cannot be changed.
Reply 168
If we can't talk about homosexuality, are we not allowed to talk about hetrosexuality? What's the difference? Different people enjoy it, no one's trying to advertise it, they just try to stop discrimination and want to stop problems occurring, like they have in the past.
Original post by morecambebay
Leave then? Planes go out as well as in.

It's not like they are going to be shown what dildos and whips are.

I don't give a damn and am not leaving just yet.. I do not want this sort
of nonsense to be shown to my future kids
Original post by speedbird
What a stupid thing to say. You can't "encourage" homosexuality. Some people are homosexual and some are heterosexual, and that's it. Sexual orientation cannot be changed.

I don't think that's true at all, sexuality, as well as all parts of your personality are a consequence of your upbringing, although genetic factors may be involved.

Sexuality is NOT purely genetic.
I would argue yes, but that's a different matter entirely.

And why is that? :mad:

He's an evangelical Christian, nice guy, he just thinks that everyone except him is going to burn in hell for eternity, he's accepted it as fact and he can't be persuaded otherwise.

Believe me, I've tried.

Maybe he won't listen because he knows you think he's stupid :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by callum9999
How has it been promoted? You make no sense whatsoever. And providing a safety net for single parent families is in no way "promotion".

Of course it is. The more financial rewards that become available for becoming, say, unemployed, single, supposedly disabled, etc., the more that lifestyle is thereby promoted and encouraged. Making it easier for someone to be whatever kind of person (gay, homeless, jobless, single) will always encourage people to be that. It's all on the same spectrum, there's no objective threshold between "providing a safety net" and "offering financial incentives", for example.

Some homeless charities get government funding - does that mean the government promotes homelessness?

That entirely depends on what the homeless charities do with the money. For example maybe they go out and endorse and facilitate the homeless lifestyle (some people think that food distribution does this), or maybe instead they work to get homeless people back into mainstream society.

If you don't see the distinction you have a problem.

Actually my intelligence does prove to be a problem. Most humans see things like this as being black and white, while I see in much more detail.

Teaching tolerance makes no judgement on whether it's good/bad or something you should be doing.

Surely if we say we should tolerate something that is saying it's not bad. Not necessarily "good", but certainly not "bad". We are taught not to tolerate certain kinds of people in society, because we judge their behaviours to be "bad", and to tolerate others because we judge their behaviours to be "good" or neutral.

All it does is say "some people are like this, if you aren't the same - don't bully them". That is in no way saying you should join them.

Are those the actual words used?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Theconomist
The only reason some people even care about gays is because of religion.
No religion no one would give a **** what others ****ed.

BS
From what it shows on the OP's link, I think it can only be a good thing.

The majority of kids are raised in households with heterosexual parents of the same race, and so think that a household that deviates from this norm must be wrong somehow. If we can teach them at an early age that same-sex or mixed race parents could provide them with just as good an upbringing as their own parents, then hopefully they'll be less prejudiced as they get older.

And then the "pro-homosexuality" books - I don't think they're particularly propaganda. Of course, I haven't read them, but from the descriptions it sounds more like they're saying "it's okay to be gay" (as opposed to "being gay is awesome, everyone should do it"). All the literature that we're exposed to when we're young shows a boy and a girl meeting and falling in love. A few books that show that a boy and a boy or a girl and a girl can fall in love are hardly going to raise a generation who are all gay. They'll just make it more acceptable for someone who has homosexual feelings to come out.
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, is that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Edit: Thanks for the neg guys... maybe I should I've pointed out that I'm not agreeing with the BNP in any way here, it's just an interesting point of contention and I wanted to see what people's opinions were on this. I don't think my post in any way suggests that I agree with them on this matter, I'm sitting on the fence, and made the thread so I could make a more informed decision after listening to the arguments for and against.

1 - Its the BNP. Enough said.
2 - What is wrong with teaching it is the norm? That isn't encouraging it.
Original post by Aku-gila
And why is that? :mad:

Maybe he won't listen because he knows you think he's stupid :dontknow:

I don't think HE'S stupid.

I think the ideas his religion puts forward are stupid, which they are.
I don't think HE'S stupid.

I think the ideas his religion puts forward are stupid, which they are.

That's not what you said:

Original post by silent ninja
What do you mean by rational reasons?
I would argue most of the world still believe in a religion of some sort and a god. Does that mean they are all stupid?

I would argue yes, but that's a different matter entirely.

Explain yourself!
Original post by WelshBluebird
1 - Its the BNP. Enough said.
2 - What is wrong with teaching it is the norm? That isn't encouraging it.

1- Just because the source is biased against it, doesn't make the points it discusses any less valid, also, I find it odd that you dismiss it out of hand because it's from the BNP, that's not being "open-minded" is it?

2- Part of the question I think, is why ANY sexuality should be exposed to children at such a young age?

It's going to result in some very confused children. Also, some would argue that it ISN'T the norm. I certainly wouldn't want my son to be dancing around in frocks and playing a gay prince in the school production.
Original post by Aku-gila
That's not what you said:

Explain yourself!

Sorry, should of distinguished a bit better.

Your intelligence quota does not effect how easily you get brainwashed by cults.

Besides where do you stand? You can't be for both religion and homosexuality, because they are mutually exclusive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending