The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Overrated: Durham, Lancaster, Manchester, Edinburgh
Underrated: Aberdeen (Possible bias) :smile:
Robert Gordon in aberdeen is very underrated in my opinion. Wikipedia reads

The Sunday Times named Robert Gordon University their Scottish University of the Year 2011 and first in Scotland for graduate-level jobs. It said: "With a graduate unemployment rate that is lower than the most famous universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, plus a flourishing reputation for research, high student satisfaction rates and ambitious plans for its picturesque campus, Robert Gordon University is The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year".

This year the university ranked 27th in the Gaurdian league table although I realise league table dont mean much.

Btw i'm not affiliated with the uni in any way as it doesn't do dentistry.
Loads of people seem to be saying Warwick is overrated. Can I ask why?
Underrated - Liverpool!
Reply 164
Warwick IS in warwickshire. Coventry is a ****hole, but you can go to leamington instead, it's nice enough. The SU is pretty good, some of the nights are a bit iffy but with some luck you can have a good night :smile:. And NOTHING beats seeing the bad-ass ducks strolling around the piazza. The uni is a bit far from towns, but it's a great location, dead nice.

I'm genuinely intrigued about why so many students are bashing warwick. Not going to lie, I'm a first year undergrad there, and I love it. Sure, we're probably not as intense as oxbridge, but still fairly rigorous academically. Most departments have good reputations ( apart from History of Art which does seem to be a piss-take).

Mind you, no point in dissing because you're jealous that it's got a better ranking than the uni you're going to. I'm just sayin'.
Reply 165
Overrated: I couldn't say, I'd probably say Oxford just because people base their lives on going there, not saying it isn't a brilliant uni, just saying the effect it has on people is a bit pointless.

Underrated: UEA

I'm surprised by how many people are saying Warwick is overrated..
Reply 166
oh and over-rated: bristol

underrated: possibly Heriot Watt?
:facepalm:
Original post by HEJ92
Overrated: I couldn't say, I'd probably say Oxford just because people base their lives on going there, not saying it isn't a brilliant uni, just saying the effect it has on people is a bit pointless.

Underrated: UEA

I'm surprised by how many people are saying Warwick is overrated..

Schlemmons
Loads of people seem to be saying Warwick is overrated. Can I ask why?

TSR hates Warwick. I am surprised that there has not been more Warwick hate, if anything. On the other hand, nobody seems to have said that LSE is underrated, because normally TSR rates LSE as the best thing in the world ever.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Philbert
And you base your whole opinion of the university on that?
. Yep :smile: it's a pretty good top 15 uni but it's filled with chippy people who missed their firm offer and realise with horror they re gonna be studying in the middle of nowhere and living in Coventry :smile: no offense of nuffink
Reply 170
Original post by BigV
Because nobody wants to be associated with Coventry.
It's not actually in Cov, it's in the rural bit between Cov and Leam, although it is nearer to Cov therefore people tend to assume it is...when it's really not.

Original post by Bobifier
TSR hates Warwick. I am surprised that there has not been more Warwick hate, if anything. On the other hand, nobody seems to have said that LSE is underrated, because normally TSR rates LSE as the best thing in the world ever.

Really? I thought Warwick was really bigged up on here? Or that's what my friend said lol
Original post by spurswilts
. Yep :smile: it's a pretty good top 15 uni but it's filled with chippy people who missed their firm offer and realise with horror they re gonna be studying in the middle of nowhere and living in Coventry :smile: no offense of nuffink

None taken. I can't take anything you say seriously because you're either extremely stupid and open to suggestion or you're a troll.
Original post by joni_richardson

Original post by joni_richardson
Underrated - Liverpool!

why would you say that? im considering going there. care to tell me more? Thanks!
I think Cardiff is pretty underrated - people are all 'urrh, it's in Wales'. When in fact it's a good university in an amazing city. (And a pretty awesome country, but as a welsh person I may be biased.)

Overrated - Oxbridge. They are amazing institutions, don't get me wrong, and in terms of academia, they aren't overrated. However, the way people have the 'IF I DON'T GET IN I'LL DIE' mentality is ridiculous. Also, the old boys network that blatantly still exists at the universities kind of ruins them for me.
Reply 175
Klushrio says the most underrated is Imperial College - as one of the world's greatest institutions of education and research for science and engineering, it should be equated with Oxbridge at the very least.

However, it is no exaggeration to say that it can now quite confidently be concluded as a truism that Klushrio is a t***.
Reply 176
Original post by Bobifier

You think people on TSR hate Warwick? Just look at what they say about Queen Mary. To most of the molly coddled middle class Oxbridge wannabes on TSR the fact that it's in the East End (although only a mile away from the City) seems to mean that for some reason it's some hellhole with no academic standards. Warwick gets off lightly in comparision :biggrin:
Reply 177
Who cares.
Reply 178
Original post by beth_simpz
Couldn't agree more, Bristol is VERY over rated. They, as an academic unit, are very rude. They havn't got much to offer except their 'high status', but to be honest with the way they have treated many applicants this year I think as you say, they may be about to slip off of their pedestal.

What naughty things did they do to their applicants?
Reply 179
Original post by ibexdracula
Is Surrey over-/under-rated? Nobody seems to know!

Under! Especially for engineering, was top in one of the main league tables least year or the year before for aerospace engineering (we have high employment rates apparently)!

Latest

Trending

Trending