The Student Room Group

Question about graduate medicine?

Hey, I'm 19 and I plan to do much undergrad and biochemistry and go on to study medicine as a graduate.

1. Is possible for me to defer my entry into medicine (I'll like to work in order to pay the 9K up front)?
2. My A-level grades aren't the best so if i decide to apply to some undergraduate medicine courses as well as graduate courses, will they look at my A-level grades?
3. Do all graduate entry courses base emphasis on the UKCAT score?
4. Which medicine schools base little/no emphasis on the UKCAT?
5. I'd like to apply to a few medical schools in Grenada/US, is it possible? What are the downsides to this?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Misson Impossible
Hey, I'm 19 and I plan to do much undergrad and biochemistry and go on to study medicine as a graduate.

1. Is possible for me to defer my entry into medicine (I'll like to work in order to pay the 9K up front)?
2. My A-level grades aren't the best so if i decide to apply to some undergraduate medicine courses as well as graduate courses, will they look at my A-level grades?
5. I'd like to apply to a few medical schools in Grenada/US, is it possible? What are the downsides to this?

Have a read through this wiki page for a brief outline which should answer most of your questions.
Original post by Beska
Have a read through this wiki page for a brief outline which should answer most of your questions.

do you ever sleep?
Reply 3
Original post by infernalcradle
do you ever sleep?

I am actually really confused because I am sure it isn't 2AM?! Last time I looked it was like bloody 11pm. Did the clocks change today?! :lolwut:
Original post by Beska
I am actually really confused because I am sure it isn't 2AM?! Last time I looked it was like bloody 11pm. Did the clocks change today?! :lolwut:

the clocks did change....

its currently 2:08am

good morning :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by infernalcradle
the clocks did change....

its currently 2:08am

good morning :biggrin:

Bloody heck.
So if a want to apply for a undergrad course after I graduate, Ill need the A-level grades?
Reply 7

1. Is possible for me to defer my entry into medicine (I'll like to work in order to pay the 9K up front)? Yes?
2. My A-level grades aren't the best so if i decide to apply to some undergraduate medicine courses as well as graduate courses, will they look at my A-level grades? You mean after the biochem degree or now?
3. Do all graduate entry courses base emphasis on the UKCAT score? Some of them
4. Which medicine schools base little/no emphasis on the UKCAT? Not sure for graduate coures
5. I'd like to apply to a few medical schools in Grenada/US, is it possible? What are the downsides to this? Super expensive and can't get student loan from SLC

above
Original post by No Future
above

thanks after the biochem degree.

What's your thoughts on studying medicine abroad?
Reply 9
thanks after the biochem degree.

What's your thoughts on studying medicine abroad?

I think it depends on the med school. To be sure, the best thing to do is double check by emailing the admissions department.

Medicine abroad:

1. Where do you want to practice? e.g. You may find it more difficult to practice in the UK if your med degree is from outside the UK. If you want to practice in the US, having a US med degree will make your life easier

2. It is often (but not always) very expensive, especially USA. Some med schools in the EU are reasonably priced (by reasonably, in comparison with the UK).

3. Language. If English is your only language, some unis in Holland do medicine in English. There are some v prestigious med schools in Europe (e.g. Germany, Italy, Spain) but many will require you to speak the language

3. Some countries require an undergrad degree for med school entry

4. What is your motivation for studying medicine abroad? I'm sure it can be done, but what advantages do you think it will give you?

Also - in the UK it is much harder to get into postgraduate medicine than it is to get in post A Level. I think the majority of sensible people on this forum would advise you to try post A Level med before postgrad med.

Do you have special circumstances for your poor A Levels? Could you document these and just redo your A Levels?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by No Future
I think it depends on the med school. To be sure, the best thing to do is double check by emailing the admissions department.

Medicine abroad:

1. Where do you want to practice? e.g. You may find it more difficult to practice in the UK if your med degree is from outside the UK. If you want to practice in the US, having a US med degree will make your life easier

2. It is often (but not always) very expensive, especially USA. Some med schools in the EU are reasonably priced (by reasonably, in comparison with the UK).

3. Language. If English is your only language, some unis in Holland do medicine in English. There are some v prestigious med schools in Europe (e.g. Germany, Italy, Spain) but many will require you to speak the language

3. Some countries require an undergrad degree for med school entry

4. What is your motivation for studying medicine abroad? I'm sure it can be done, but what advantages do you think it will give you?

Also - in the UK it is much harder to get into postgraduate medicine than it is to get in post A Level. I think the majority of sensible people on this forum would advise you to try post A Level med before postgrad med.

Do you have special circumstances for your poor A Levels? Could you document these and just redo your A Levels?

The reasons for not doing so well at A-level is personal rather than medical. I've applied twice before for medicine and was unsuccessful. If I want to study medicine in Europe how hard will it be able to practice in the UK? Many of the doctors I know studied in their native country and now they practice in the UK.

Due to my past experience with medicine do you think my choice to apply to 4 med schools and 3 other universities in Europe is sensible/next best thing to do? Studying abroad will increase my cultural awareness, get out of my comfort zone, open the doors to the world around me and will make me a more experienced and driven person.

Maybe I should stop thinking too far ahead and take one step at a time...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
If I want to study medicine in Europe how hard will it be able to practice in the UK?

Very difficult because they'd kick you off after 3 years with no degree if you don't can't speak their language fluently. :wink:

Umm. I hate to tell you this... but if you're thinking about medicine after 2011, and doing a standard A100 undergraduate entry course you're almost certainly going to have to pay more than 9k upfront- there's no fees loan available :frown: Medical schools are almost certain to charge 9k a year, so if it's a 5 year course, you're looking at 4x9= 36k. (the fifth year and NHS stuff starts to kick in.) Its quite crappy.

As far as I know, it depends on the undergraduate course as to how much they look at your A levels- kings may just need a pass in biology and chemistry, UCL need As. I'd ask/ read the small print in the prospectus.

Quite a few graduate admissions go off the GAMSAT, may be worth looking at? In terms of who uses what test, places, and subject requirements, when I was looking into it, I found this website: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=77 really useful. Be warned, it's likely to be out of date, so I'd cross reference the info with university websites and TSR wiki, but it's a good place to start. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 13

I was offered a place at St Georges med school Grenada but the fees are £17,000 a year for 6 years. If you would struggle to pay the £9000 fees here how would you realistically fund living in the US?

As for all your other questions, there are several answers to each. You need to do some research and then ask more specific questions about the specific med schools you plan to apply to and the actual grades/experiences you have.

Start by looking at each med schools requirements. They are usually quite clear about what they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending