The Student Room Group

Why is it that people question you for not drinking but don't for not smoking?

They're both drugs..:/
So's paracetamol.
Not to say that alcohol can't be damaging (especially to the extent that the more idiotic students drink), but there's varying levels of drugs - smoking is much more addictive, and buggers your health faster than drinking.
Reply 2
Why not for drinking coffee?
Reply 3
More social acceptances in one more than the other. I always viewed smoking more negatively than alcohol. I would've usually associated smoking with death more strongly, although recent events seemed to have equaled that imbalance for me.
Reply 4
Because they are not the same?
because drinking is cool and you know it :P

Haha.

I have no idea. Drinking can be quite social whereas I guess esp now smoking isn't, have to stand outside etc. Obviously drinking can end badly too and both can be very addictive even if smoking is more obviously so.
Reply 6
Because not all drugs are the same.
Because drinking makes you funny and reckless and violent whereas smoking doesn't do anything.
Reply 8
Original post by moshing-fairy
Drinking can be quite social whereas I guess esp now smoking isn't, have to stand outside etc.

Obviously you dont smoke. My best friends at school and college were always the smokers. You become a tight nit group as you spend every break and lunch with each other. Same with parties, smoking has gotten me laid :wink: (indirectly, met sharing a cig).
Original post by Naomiimoan
They're both drugs..:/

mmmmdrugs r baddd.. mmokayy??
Massive government campaign against smoking means more people will hold a negative view of smoking.

Alcohol has TV adverts in support for it, most shows include lots of drinking scenes, typically seen as a social norm in most of the west etc. will result in more people holding a less negative view of it.

Also smoking causes direct harm and damage to organs not only to the person doing it but to others too, however alcohol causes direct harm and damage to organs only to the person drinking it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending