The Student Room Group

Art foundation course in london - Where should i go? (Ravensbourne or Camberwell)

I just got the letter to say i have a condition place at camberwell and i've also been accepted at ravensbourne. I NEVER thought this would happen and thought i had no chance of getting into camberwell. Now i don't know where to go. Camberwell was always my first choice but ive gotten used to the idea id be going to ravensbourne (i got the ravensboune letter 2 weeks ago). Its seems a great atmosphere there.

Please help!!! :confused:
Original post by camicookie
I just got the letter to say i have a condition place at camberwell and i've also been accepted at ravensbourne. I NEVER thought this would happen and thought i had no chance of getting into camberwell. Now i don't know where to go. Camberwell was always my first choice but ive gotten used to the idea id be going to ravensbourne (i got the ravensboune letter 2 weeks ago). Its seems a great atmosphere there.

Please help!!! :confused:

What do you want to do in the future? I'm studying the foundation at Ravensbourne at the moment so can answer any questions you have about the course. Personally I wouldn't highly rate Ravensbourne but that's just due to my experience of the course.
Reply 2
Original post by Moooooooose
What do you want to do in the future? I'm studying the foundation at Ravensbourne at the moment so can answer any questions you have about the course. Personally I wouldn't highly rate Ravensbourne but that's just due to my experience of the course.

I don't really know except that i'm heading in design pathway, rather than fine art which is why i applied to ravensbourne in the first place. I'm wondering now if i should go to Camberwell to keep my options broader as ive heard ravensbourne is completely digital. Dont know if im ready to give up my pencil and paintbrush yet :s-smilie:

What is it about ravensbourne that you didnt highly rate? I haven't heard much negative except that it's all computer based.
I don't really know except that i'm heading in design pathway, rather than fine art which is why i applied to ravensbourne in the first place. I'm wondering now if i should go to Camberwell to keep my options broader as ive heard ravensbourne is completely digital. Dont know if im ready to give up my pencil and paintbrush yet :s-smilie:

What is it about ravensbourne that you didnt highly rate? I haven't heard much negative except that it's all computer based.

I guess a lot of the annoying stuff has been sorted now. We spent the first 3 months in the O2 because the building work was behind on the new building, then had to move from there because there was this weird dust cloud. Then spent another month in the Matter club. Lots of teething problems with the new building, the doors broke multiple times. All the shops round there were really expensive, luckily they opened a Tesco there about 2 weeks ago so that's cool.

What I don't like is how digital it is, I'm personaly quite old fashioned and like analogue photography (I'm on the LBM pathway). They have no photography studio despite promising there would be one. They don't have computers for foundation students so you WILL have to buy a mac, there is no doubt about that. There's not much structure to the course, some (not all) of the teachers don't care much and most days there is no point in going in. I have learnt literally nothing the whole time I've been here, I get no motivation from the teachers. I regret choosing it if I'm honest but at least it's a free course.

/Rant :tongue:

(I know many people studying at Camberwell who love it, haven't heard anything bad about it at all)
Reply 4
Original post by Moooooooose
I guess a lot of the annoying stuff has been sorted now. We spent the first 3 months in the O2 because the building work was behind on the new building, then had to move from there because there was this weird dust cloud. Then spent another month in the Matter club. Lots of teething problems with the new building, the doors broke multiple times. All the shops round there were really expensive, luckily they opened a Tesco there about 2 weeks ago so that's cool.

What I don't like is how digital it is, I'm personaly quite old fashioned and like analogue photography (I'm on the LBM pathway). They have no photography studio despite promising there would be one. They don't have computers for foundation students so you WILL have to buy a mac, there is no doubt about that. There's not much structure to the course, some (not all) of the teachers don't care much and most days there is no point in going in. I have learnt literally nothing the whole time I've been here, I get no motivation from the teachers. I regret choosing it if I'm honest but at least it's a free course.

/Rant :tongue:

(I know many people studying at Camberwell who love it, haven't heard anything bad about it at all)

WOW. Doesn't sound like you like it at all.
im suprised they can offer photography without a studio. Thats pretty poor considering even my sixthform sounds like it has more facilities for ALEVEL. When i went to my interview they were moaning about the building, which is probably a bad sign.

Would you say other people doing the course have the same opinion as you or not? or do u think its the LBM pathway that are suffering?

Btw don't worry about the rant :tongue:, just happy for the help :smile:
Reply 5
im suprised they can offer photography without a studio. Thats pretty poor considering even my sixthform sounds like it has more facilities for ALEVEL. When i went to my interview they were moaning about the building, which is probably a bad sign.

Would you say other people doing the course have the same opinion as you or not? or do u think its the LBM pathway that are suffering?

Hi I'm also studying Foundation at Ravensbourne.

I think new buildings always have problems, by next year most of the problems will hopefully have gone. Personally I enjoy being at Ravensbourne. I'm on the 3D pathway. I think the LBM pathway has it the worst out of the four pathways if I'm honest. With 3D our tutors encourage us to work with models and drawing rather than on a computer, and if we do need a computer we use google sketchup - which is free. I don't think there are any problems with fashion either and with graphics you get great facilities. Computers are a problem, foundation students will either have to bring in their own or rush to borrow one in the mornings. All of my tutors, though only three, have been very helpful and supportive.

However, despite me saying I enjoy being at Ravensbourne I do believe the course is rather pointless. I agree with the previous poster that there is minimal structure to the course. I would have liked some lectures teaching us programmes or material uses. Crits are helpful but usually quite vague in the 3D pathway.

One thing that does annoy me is the open plan of the foundation floor. I'm very happy with open plan when working but then when you have crits or mini lectures sometimes it is impossible to hear anything because of the background noise.

Whilst I've got no experience of Camberwell besides going to an open day there I'd be worried that Camberwell, Wimbledon and Chelsea are merging their foundation courses into one. Whilst this would obviously mean the best of three courses I'd have my guard up for the first year as I'd expect it to be quite a mess as is the norm with new initiatives (as was with Ravensbourne this year but in fact I liked switching learning environments!)

I'd peg them as equal but I expect that Camberwell, being in UAL, would give you an advantage when applying to fellow UAL colleges for degree. I'd say Ravensbourne has specific strengths, broadcasting and fashion, whilst I expect Camberwell to be more all round.

On other factors besides the course I like the location and building of Ravensbourne more than Camberwell. Camberwell is even more isolated than Ravensbourne if you ask me and the central staircase leading to those small corridors just made me think of a prison cell for some odd reason.

WOAH didn't realise I wrote that much! But hope it helps.
(edited 13 years ago)

I've heard terrible things about Camberwell, several people on my course transferred out of there, and a friend there hates it. It has something of a reputation for being very cliquey and stuck up.

Think "oh no, I go to Camberwell, I'm an arrrrt student"

For design pathway I'd fully recommend Ravensbourne, be aware it is largely digital but this reflects the industry.
Reply 7
Hi,
I applied to both Ravensbourne and Camberwell and was offered both and had
to make the same decision as you. I chose Ravensbourne in the end due to
several reasons. I thought the new building and technology would be an asset
even though I expected a couple of hiccups. Yes, classes were disrupted in the
first few weeks, but it didnt matter too much as we were all finding our feet
and the work they set us were only small projects. The Foundation was worthwhile as originally I was assuming I'd do a fine art degree but after chosing
the 3D pathway, am going on to do a furniture and product design course.
The foundation course is only 3 days a week but it did broaden my approach to
design as its not so structured. Bear in mind that these days a lot of the art
degrees require a foundation diploma before accepting you no matter how many
points you have for UCAS.
Reply 8
Original post by chenman27

I don't think there are any problems with fashion either and with graphics you get great facilities.

I disagree, I know alot of people in my class (including me) that hate this foundation! I would have rather gone to Camberwell! Its been a huge disappointment! Hardly anyone uses the facilities as they haven't shown us how to use them and the tutors aren't helpful. I haven't learnt anything on this course, they give us tasks which we can do at home, I feel sorry for the people having to pay for the course!!
Reply 9
Original post by summer1234
I disagree, I know alot of people in my class (including me) that hate this foundation! I would have rather gone to Camberwell! Its been a huge disappointment! Hardly anyone uses the facilities as they haven't shown us how to use them and the tutors aren't helpful. I haven't learnt anything on this course, they give us tasks which we can do at home, I feel sorry for the people having to pay for the course!!

Really! I only know a few graphics guys and they always seemed quite happy. I didn't know that they haven't shown you how to use the facilities, that's a waste then. I actually thought that Angie and Clementine (think that's her name) were helpful.

I agree with you in terms of tasks not requiring you to be in the building but unless you need the facilities very few tasks will require you to be in the building. But yes when some people say they have learnt/improved a lot on foundation I feel like why don't I feel the same way.

Ikr £1500~ for over 18's and £7000+ for internationals, I would never have gone into foundation if I needed to pay that amount.

Do you think Camberwell would be better? For what reason?
pros and cons

camberwell. plus side - old fashioned art college, fantastic facilities and tutors
bad side- really cliquey, attracts snobby students.

ravensbourne plus side- excellent facilities now the building is finished, good bunch of students
bad side - no campus or uni social scene, tutors have no interest/ dont care about your progress and are hard to find when you need them .

i was offered both and went to rave, but will be pleased to get out. i think i have achieved a lot on the foundation course, but under my own steam, not any help from the staff who frankly are not interested at all. i have mates at camberwell and some have left mid course because they cannot stand the snobby chelsea brigade who think its kool to go there.
Reply 11
Does anyone have anything to say about the fashion and textiles pathway in UAL Foundation Course Art and Design?

Thanks
L
Reply 12
Yeah - I'd like some advice too - anyone know what LCC is like for Foundation? I'm torn between there and Ravensbourne.

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest