The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Facepalm.
Reply 121
there are ppl out there in the world with cancer etc that would do anything to live one extra day so that they can spend this time with their family and loved ones or enjoy whats left of their life and u want to give up yours so easily?

if you're depressed do something about it
what do you think anti-depressants are for?
Original post by kerily
I'm 100% aware that I will die by suicide too, one day. I don't plan for this to be soon - not even within 20-30 years - but I know that that's how I will die.

It's not particularly a product of my depression (although I am depressed); it's something I've just felt that I've known, and since I was about 8 or 9, too. It just seems inevitable, really; like my life is definitely leading up to it. I don't think it's particularly selfish and I don't say it because I want attention or whatever; it just feels logical.

That's not right. Seek help.
Original post by mathperson
OK, firstly I just want to say this is not a thread that has been made because I've had a bad day, and is it not a simple rant.

I'm not clinically depressed at the moment, and so am not in receipt of any counselling or medication therapy.

However, as many people on TSR will be aware, I have experienced real, and severe, depression 1 year back (which I had for about 18 months - 2 years in total, but feelings of 'being down'/upset for probably 3 years to be realistic).

I just feel that at some point, maybe in the next six months, maybe in the next 10 years (though I must admit I don't think it will be that long at all) that I will die by suicide.

I'm not writing this thread because I expect someone to reply with a well rehersed answer, just because I feel as though I would like to express it.

Thanks.

You are not dying by suicide, you would be killing yourself. simple. I hope thats not a downplay to make it seem more normal to you, to want to kill oneself or anyone else...murder persona-when you do it to yourself, is not 'normal', but hey abnormal things occur every second of the day. Everyone will die by some means, so when you choose to do it to yourself, you do it, i dont get why you feel the need to tell the world though, people commit suicide everyday. its like a tree falling when no one is around to hear it...its like it never happened. you say you dont want help, youve made up your mind...why proclaim it? want to take others down with you?? clearly you are still depressed, just because your serotonin levels may be in an acceptable range, doesnt mean your not depressed anymore. some people will struggle with it all their lives with no cure, some cant deal like yourself and end it all. there was a woman in the news who had severe depression wasnt cured by drugs so had electrotherapy, maybe you should go for that. people dont express things they dont want people to know. and since suicide is the most ultimate personal intrinsic act that requires no comment nor reason, there is something youre looking for.

instead of spending what life you have left looking forward to death, how about you sepnd it searching for that reason, or just live life!do boring stuff, do exciting stuff, do different stuff. most peoples lives are dull and mundane, mine 2 but i still i get a kick out of that,find some damn pleasure in life. it is a life someone else didnt get to live, and fuk it i fought thru disease and hostility from conception to be here. you say 3 years...hell a bus might have done the job for you before then. i mean, be rational, the only thing certain in life is death, yet you act like it will be a long time coming. im sure youve noticed, 'life' isnt very long, 70-80 tops for few people, mostly in developed countries...but death...fukin eternal. you aint ever coming the fuk bak,no second go. every second gone is 1 less second closer to a different eternity, that alone makes me want to see the sun some mornings,, because for all i know the next hour may not come, and i will never experience this reality again. i wish people like you could give life to someone else, cus i know someone who didnt want to die, and did from disease, and here you are, a waster. you desparately want help. you want so much to not feel like you're feeling,you want to be able to have a good life and enjoy it. life fukin sucks sometimes...and u are depressed by it. Clinically, you may now be 'fine' but spiritualy, you are so affected, and theres only 1 thing that can help you.but you have convinced yourself youre ok and fine, but your angle of normality doesnt even exist in this plane.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 124
I feel I need to really repeat what I hinted at in my OP. I'm not about to commit suicide and I don't feel particularly depressed at the moment, however I just feel as though it wouldn't take much to push me over the edge.
then you are a prime candidate for help. get some! stop just existing on the brink.
Original post by speaksense

Original post by speaksense
then you are a prime candidate for help. get some! stop just existing on the brink.

:ditto:
This
Your friend request has been sent to mathperson.

^^
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
There are 6 billion or more people in the world. Some die by accident, some die by war, some die by disease, some die by hunger. And this is happening in every minute of every hour of every day.

You want to kill yourself by choice. You simply don't know what tomorrow is going to be like, or the next month, or year - life can get better. Of course, it can get worse but it can also get better. Giving it up will never allow you to find out. Ever. There have been people with depression for decades, for a lifetime - they've pulled through.

Suicide seems like the ideal solution when you are at the low point of your life, when nothing is working out. That does not mean, and never has meant, that it's never going to go uphill from there. Imagine how grateful you could turn out to be when, in future, things do turn out well. Think about that. :smile:

This is a great answer. I can only agree to it.

Thanks for that. This even gave me a better thought about life, not that I'm going to commit suicide or anything, but that whenever I am down for more than a day, I can think of the fact that hopefully things will get better and just get the best out of the situation.

To the OP: Hope you don't do it. Think of how many years you have to live. 2/3 years of depression is nothing compared to a long healthy life. Nobody knows how long you will live, but it could be another 50, 60, 70, or even more years. So, don't let a couple of years get you down and think of that.

Trust me if you don't do it, one day you will be thankful that you didn't do suicide because one day you will be enjoying life to the full extent.

Get some professional help. I don't know exact places to get help, but I'm sure people here must have stated them.
Original post by muffingg
This is a great answer. I can only agree to it.

Thanks for that. This even gave me a better thought about life, not that I'm going to commit suicide or anything, but that whenever I am down for more than a day, I can think of the fact that hopefully things will get better and just get the best out of the situation.

Haha, the people negging don't seem to think so. :tongue:

I edited it a few hours ago to include some aspects of an earlier post I made.

And yeah, I understand what you mean. :smile:
Original post by TAZ2K
I'll probably die of suicide very soon to be perfectly honest

Original post by Anonymous
can you give me a bit of advice please mate

Share your problems so we can advise. :smile:

Original post by Sabertooth

You've also got to consider whether life is going to be worth living after waiting 30 years with depression for a cure (which, I remind you, may never come). Life would have to be pretty ****ing awesome to make up for 30+ years of depression, and, let's be honest, life is rarely ever that awesome.

You're going to be over 50, you'll probably be dying from some disease or another, you'll have no friends left as depression has driven them a way, most your family will be dead, you'll be stuck in a crap job as depression robbed your ability to get decent qualifications, you have a crap house because of your crap job, you may have self harm scars all over you, you may have side effects from 30 years of taking crappy drugs to try control your depression. Worth it? No.

This isn't a counter-argument or anything, but more a point of note. I completely understand the point about the end result of being depression for X amount of years, but I don't wholly agree with it. I understand that it is ultimately a horrible result (crappy job, old age, no friends, no family and a general crap life)

But it's something? Maybe it is just me, but I find the thought of death utterly terrifying. To have lived, breathed, felt joy (at some point if any), felt depressed - it's all an integral point of my existence. It is me. Of course, you don't have those crucial aspects which make it worth being you, but you still exist. Some say what is the point in existing at all? But at least you exist in the first place.

Setting aside religion, once you're dead, you're dead. Not for a finite amount of time, but forever. And with it goes your consciousness. So for me it boils down to, if we all go to the same place sooner or later, going by choice is just taking away from the point of it all. To exist.

I realise that is a totally incoherent post. Don't mind me. :getmecoat:
Come on bro don't commit suicide. We all love you man.
Reply 132
Original post by Potential Trigger
That's not right. Seek help.

:rolleyes:

Has it ever occured to you that 'seek help' isn't an instant miracle cure? I actually am seeking help, but being turned away from every professional I approach (GP, mental health service etc) because either they don't have funding for me now I'm over 18, or they don't take what I'm saying seriously (despite there being a lot of evidence that they should).
Original post by kerily
:rolleyes:

Has it ever occured to you that 'seek help' isn't an instant miracle cure? I actually am seeking help, but being turned away from every professional I approach (GP, mental health service etc) because either they don't have funding for me now I'm over 18, or they don't take what I'm saying seriously (despite there being a lot of evidence that they should).

Well I am not far from graduating so I do have an idea how it works :rolleyes:

If you have truly been "turned away" then clearly you are at low risk of suicide. Perhaps you just have a depresssive personality but it won't manifest into anything serious. Good news.
Reply 134
Original post by kerily
I'm 100% aware that I will die by suicide too, one day. I don't plan for this to be soon - not even within 20-30 years - but I know that that's how I will die.

It's not particularly a product of my depression (although I am depressed); it's something I've just felt that I've known, and since I was about 8 or 9, too. It just seems inevitable, really; like my life is definitely leading up to it. I don't think it's particularly selfish and I don't say it because I want attention or whatever; it just feels logical.

So, you just "know", but it seems, at the same time, perfectly "logical"? Elaborate.
Reply 135
Original post by Potential Trigger
If you have truly been "turned away" then clearly you are at low risk of suicide. Perhaps you just have a depresssive personality but it won't manifest into anything serious. Good news.

Without wanting to make every TSR thread about my mental health issues, I have been self-harming and suicidal for the past 5-6 years and made numerous suicide attempts before. I've also had a minor alcohol problem. I went to my GP saying this when I was 13 and everything was just starting, and got told I was fine, despite having attempted suicide; I then went to my GP a couple of weeks ago, told them about the 5-6 years of history, and again, yeah, apparently it's just my period. :rolleyes: I realise I come over as a disillusioned cynic, but having such faith in the mental health system is perhaps a trifle naive - people with real problems do get told to go away. I also have a friend who's been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and has told her GP multiple times that she thinks she's going to severely damage someone else or herself, and begged to be admitted to a secure unit because she honestly believes she's going to do something awful. Her GP refuses to admit her to hospital.

It scares me to think that this may be repeated up and down the country :eek:
Reply 136
Original post by Planar
So, you just "know", but it seems, at the same time, perfectly "logical"? Elaborate.

Well, it's not logical in the rigorous definition of the term, in which every statement follows a perfectly logical derivation and comes originally from things I know to be true :tongue: Rather, it just seems logical to me. Which, yes, isn't the most intellectually accurate description, but I mean more that it feels perfectly normal to say to myself 'one day, you're going to die by suicide'.
this video will cheer you up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ACCPUxVp4
Original post by innerhollow
I'm in a similar position myself. I don't think the constant drudgery is something I hope to keep going long-term, so when I work up the courage to commit suicide I'm out of here. Not now obviously, but at some point. I know that it will upset my parents, but to be honest, they chose to have children knowing all the risks. I didn't consent to being brought to life, so I'm not morally obliged to remain here.

It's not that my life is particularly bad (I think I have a rather nice little life actually :smile: ) I just think there's no point continuing with some tedious existence when I'm going to die anyway. Life for me is just a stream of boredom punctuated by the occassional burst of positive emotion. That's the same for everyone, but I've decided, it's not really worth it on the whole. I think I'll get a few things I want to in life done, and then quit while I'm ahead.

EDIT: I'll remember to donate all my current money to a chosen charity and get an organ donor card before I do though. I promise!

This is so sad...
Original post by innerhollow
I'm in a similar position myself. I don't think the constant drudgery is something I hope to keep going long-term, so when I work up the courage to commit suicide I'm out of here. Not now obviously, but at some point. I know that it will upset my parents, but to be honest, they chose to have children knowing all the risks. I didn't consent to being brought to life, so I'm not morally obliged to remain here.

It's not that my life is particularly bad (I think I have a rather nice little life actually :smile: ) I just think there's no point continuing with some tedious existence when I'm going to die anyway. Life for me is just a stream of boredom punctuated by the occassional burst of positive emotion. That's the same for everyone, but I've decided, it's not really worth it on the whole. I think I'll get a few things I want to in life done, and then quit while I'm ahead.

EDIT: I'll remember to donate all my current money to a chosen charity and get an organ donor card before I do though. I promise!

how can you think like this when you are studying chemical engineering. I'm not being an ass and i'll try to say this the nicest way possible but it seems like you dont care about anything... how come u studied hard then?

Latest

Trending

Trending