The Student Room Group

Diabetes T2

Hello
Just wanted to let you all know if there is anyone who is T2 diabetic on medications and needs some advice on diet etc, I will be happy to answer.

I am a T2 diabetic who was on Metformin 500mg thrice a day and gliclazide 80mg twice a day. I was told I may end up taking insulin as my control was quite bad :frown:

However I was one of the lucky ones who managed to reverse their diabetes and today I take no medications at all. I have been off meds for over a year now.
My latest HBA1c done in Feb 2011 read 6.4%, indicating borderline diabetes.

I do have a list of food that helped me overcome this and if anyone would like a copy, feel free to PM me.

I know it can be tough living with diabetes, especially if it is not controlled. So feel free to ask away and I will be my best to help.

Regards
Reply 1
Original post by ukhomoeopath
Hello
Just wanted to let you all know if there is anyone who is T2 diabetic on medications and needs some advice on diet etc, I will be happy to answer.

I am a T2 diabetic who was on Metformin 500mg thrice a day and gliclazide 80mg twice a day. I was told I may end up taking insulin as my control was quite bad :frown:

However I was one of the lucky ones who managed to reverse their diabetes and today I take no medications at all. I have been off meds for over a year now.
My latest HBA1c done in Feb 2011 read 6.4%, indicating borderline diabetes.

I do have a list of food that helped me overcome this and if anyone would like a copy, feel free to PM me.

I know it can be tough living with diabetes, especially if it is not controlled. So feel free to ask away and I will be my best to help.

Regards

Hi

I have type 2 diabetes.

I wouldn't consider an a1c of 6.4% as just bordeline diabetes though - that is still diabetic.

How did you "reverse" your diabetes. I believe this is not possible, though you can improve control and bg numbers.
However I was one of the lucky ones who managed to reverse their diabetes

:redface: :redface: :redface:

Wow.
I admit I know nothing much about Type 2 (having Type 1 FTW :tongue:), but I wasn't aware this was possible?
Reply 3
Original post by flywithemma

Wow.
I admit I know nothing much about Type 2 (having Type 1 FTW :tongue:), but I wasn't aware this was possible?

it's not possible :smile:

You can get good control without medication, just through diet/exercise. But once a T2 always a T2. It cannot be reversed!
Reply 4
Original post by eden
Hi

I have type 2 diabetes.

I wouldn't consider an a1c of 6.4% as just bordeline diabetes though - that is still diabetic.

How did you "reverse" your diabetes. I believe this is not possible, though you can improve control and bg numbers.

According to the WHO, HBA1c at 6.4% IS borderline :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by eden
it's not possible :smile:

You can get good control without medication, just through diet/exercise. But once a T2 always a T2. It cannot be reversed!

If one hasn't reversed their T2 diabetes, they will still have to be on medication, otherwise their sugar levels will be high.
Because I was fortunate enough to reverse mine, I now eat stuff like banana, ice cream etc without taking medication. My blood glucose levels are quite well controlled.
I never said I am NOT diabetic, all I said was I was able to come off all those medications, which even you must admit is a big thing :smile:

If you have any questions do feel free to ask.
Regards
Reply 6
T2 diabetics tend to be over weight or have a poor diet and high glucose nlood level in general.

In other words - self inflicted.

Change your diet and excercise more and it can sometimes be reversed.
Reply 7
If one hasn't reversed their T2 diabetes, they will still have to be on medication, otherwise their sugar levels will be high.
Because I was fortunate enough to reverse mine, I now eat stuff like banana, ice cream etc without taking medication. My blood glucose levels are quite well controlled.
I never said I am NOT diabetic, all I said was I was able to come off all those medications, which even you must admit is a big thing :smile:

If you have any questions do feel free to ask.
Regards

what kind of blood glucose rises and readings do you get at an hour after eating things like bananas and high carb foods?
Reply 8
Original post by Yawn11
T2 diabetics tend to be over weight or have a poor diet and high glucose nlood level in general.

In other words - self inflicted.

Change your diet and excercise more and it can sometimes be reversed.

i agree most people with t2 are overweight. but not all. And i dont think it is self inflicted. Why can some people have terrible diet and lifestyles, yet not develop diabetes even as they age, yet others develop t2 whilst at a normal weight, whilst leading an active lifestyle, or whilst young?

Personally i don't blame myself for my diabetes, i just accept it happened and deal with it. The blame culture does annoy me though as i know some people that beat themselves up about having got t2 and it being self inflicted. when really, it's not their fault.

This might be interesting http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php
Reply 9
How much are you charging for this bull ****?
Original post by flywithemma

Wow.

i have type 1 too :smile: but i got it (was 'activated') really late, when i was 16. really sucked!
Reply 11
Original post by Renal
How much are you charging for this bull ****?

the information is free, and only helpful for diabetics. This is what I used to help me and I wanted to share it with this group. Its cool if you dont want it :smile:
Reply 12
the information is free, and only helpful for diabetics. This is what I used to help me and I wanted to share it with this group. Its cool if you dont want it :smile:
Is this information factual or is it about homeopathy?
Reply 13
Original post by eden
what kind of blood glucose rises and readings do you get at an hour after eating things like bananas and high carb foods?

Eden
I have stopped testing hourly reading after a heavy high carb meal but I do test my 2 hr pp. my meals are usually full of carbs ( red rice, brown bread, potatoes, pasta etc).
This month, my fasting has ranged from : 5.1 to 6.4
my 2hr after my heaviest meals ranged from: 5.4 to 8.8

Regards
Reply 14
[QUOTE="Renal;30543145"]Is this information factual or is it about homeopathy?[/QUOTE

you can follow this diet and get lower blood glucose readings without taking homeopathy.
Reply 15
Eden
I have stopped testing hourly reading after a heavy high carb meal but I do test my 2 hr pp. my meals are usually full of carbs ( red rice, brown bread, potatoes, pasta etc).
This month, my fasting has ranged from : 5.1 to 6.4
my 2hr after my heaviest meals ranged from: 5.4 to 8.8

Regards

your blood sugar will have dropped down again by 2 hours.

I reccomend testing at 1 hour after meals to keep a check on it... an a1c of 6.4% means that you are regularly running blood sugars above 7. Normal peoples blood sugars are much lower than this, 4-5, and anything above the 7 mark is where complications can start to develop if you let them hang around there for too many years. Things can slip without noicing at first... so testing at 1 hr is way more useful for those not on insulin, as it tells you the highest point your blood sugar reaches. 2 hr pp doesnt give any useful information if not on insulin really.
Reply 16
A diet that gives you lower BMs? Miraculous...

Latest

Trending

Trending