The Student Room Group

Which university has the most arrogant students?

I'm at Durham University and they're a lot of stuck-up / arrogant students here. For instance, the captain of one the rugby teams at my College is a complete t*****r!!! He literally works around with his nose in the air looking down at people and think's he's God's gift!!! Also, there's a group of boys who think they're Durham's answer to the Bullingdon Club and think they're are ''lads'' and behave in an extremely obnoxious manner.

I know a postgraduate who studied for his first degree at Cambridge who said there are more arrogant students at Durham then at Cambridge!!! :eek:

Which university do you think has the most arrogant students?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oxbridge.
In before "Oxford and Cambridge". The amount of self-deprecation, lack of confidence and self-hate at Oxford (and I presume Cambridge too) can be quite scary :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Jackso
Oxbridge.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
In before Oxford and Cambridge. The amount of self-deprecation, lack of confidence and self-hate at Oxford (and I presume Cambridge too) can be quite scary :s-smilie:

Too late
Original post by Aku-gila
Too late

I know. It wasn't there when I was typing it out. I was too slow :getmecoat:
Reply 5
In before "Oxford and Cambridge". The amount of self-deprecation, lack of confidence and self-hate at Oxford (and I presume Cambridge too) can be quite scary :s-smilie:

Mmm a few loud rahs strutting around like they own the place are going to be a lot more prominent than dozens of angst ridden navel gazers sitting in their bedrooms.
I tend to find it at the 'good unis below Oxbridge' level - Manchester, Durham, Exeter, Bristol... Not all the time, but a lot seem to have some sort of inferiority complex that comes out as arrogant.
Original post by Joinedup
Mmm a few loud rahs strutting around like they own the place are going to be a lot more prominent than dozens of angst ridden navel gazers sitting in their bedrooms.

Well I'd hardly call us navel gazers and we're not confined to our bedrooms but in principle, yes :yes:
Reply 8
I know. It wasn't there when I was typing it out. I was too slow :getmecoat:

:teehee:
Reply 9
I agree with Durham. Went there for an offer event aound Easter time at University College. The majority of people there were absolute t****. The people at Oxford for far more down to earth. As are the people at my Uni, which has a better reputation at Durham. These w****** were the most arrogant people I have ever met, thinking they were God's gift. Most of them seemed to have gone to top top private schools and had been put on a pedestal. At the end of the day, if they were as good as they thought they were, they'd be going to Oxbridge rather than Durham (lots of them saying how they got rejected from there).
This is "I'm so academic" bait all over.
Any uni that has a "lesser" uni in the same city.
Reply 12
Original post by UniUni
I'm at Durham University and they're a lot of stuck-up / arrogant students here. For instance, the captain of one the rugby teams at my College is a complete t*****r!!! He literally works around with his nose in the air looking down at people and think's he's God's gift!!! Also, there's a group of boys who think they're Durham's answer to the Bullingdon Club and think they're are ''lads'' and behave in an extremely obnoxious manner.

I know a postgraduate who studied for his first degree at Cambridge who said there are more arrogant students at Durham then at Cambridge!!! :eek:

Which university do you think has the most arrogant students?

Well you should go 'working class' on their ass and teach them a lesson.

Reply 13
Anyone at a Top tier Russel Group uni. I guess it would be harder to be humble if your surrounded by a culture of excellence and know that employers will give your degree a few extra brownies points because you went to UCL/LSE/Oxbridge/Warwick etc etc...
But you''ll get arrogant ***** everywhere.
(edited 13 years ago)
St. Andrews has its fair share.
Reply 15
Despite the stereotype I didn't find many arrogant people at Oxford. If anything there were a disproportionate number of people nervous that they weren't good enough to be there, and had somehow got in by mistake. There were a lot of arrogant people when I went for interview, but most of them didn't seem to have actually got in.

As for which university does have the most arrogant students - I'd have to agree with Durham. I've only been once and possibly I got a bad reception as I was from Oxford, but it's one of the few places I've been where all the negative reputation seemed to be true.
Reply 16
Original post by TheSownRose
I tend to find it at the 'good unis below Oxbridge' level - Manchester, Durham, Exeter, Bristol... Not all the time, but a lot seem to have some sort of inferiority complex that comes out as arrogant.

Ahh Oxbridge Reject Syndrome. :yep:

Some people have had privileged upbringings have only ever been exposed a very narrow slice of life - they arrive at university convinced that people that weren't born with a silver spoon sticking out of their mouth keep coal in the bathtub and eat their own babies.

Anyway it's a vague question - the bullingdon set must be at or near peak arrogance across all UK universities, the average arrogance level could well be a different story.
Original post by MrCynical
Despite the stereotype I didn't find many arrogant people at Oxford.

I have from only ever met one Cambridge student and one Oxford student, in the summer last year whilst backpacking around Scotland. They were as far from arrogant as you could possibly be. One of them was hiking Lands End to John O' Groats for charity with his friend. Both of them seemed very humble, educated and were thoroughly interesting and intelligent people. I can only hope that I meet more people like this if I am able to work hard enough to get offered a place at Oxbridge.

I know that my experience relates to only a tiny demographic of Oxbridge students but it's first hand experience so it is relevant all the same. I think a lot of people would do well to remember that there are arrogant, rude and obnoxious people all over the planet and just because somebody studies or works at a particular institution it does not mean that they will all be like this. It is not wise to base your own opinions or judgement based on mass generalizations!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
Ahh Oxbridge Reject Syndrome. :yep:

I could understand it in the Oxbridge rejects - they actually have a reason to feel bad (or lucky escape.) It's the people who didn't even apply to Oxford or Cambridge that it makes no sense in.

Elaborate?

Latest

Trending

Trending