The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by in_vogue
It's very simple: men actually need sex more than women need it.

Go on...
Reply 41
I'm not sure it's just the case that men desire women more than women desire men. I think it's more to do with the narrow mindedness of society. For example, only certain men are attractive to girls, and those girls worship their asses as much as men worship theirs. I think this is especially true in the UK where their is a very potent and clear 'status culture'. Girls here are less open minded and only chase one type of guy (tall, white, middle class?) dictated to them by the media. So anyone who doesn't fit that stereotype will have a hard time. Society has become so narrow.

Sadly in this country there is only cool and desirable or uncool and undesirable and people judge in a split second which category men fit into.
Reply 42
Original post by Reflexive
Go on...

What I mean is, of course there are women with very high sex drives, and of course most women enjoy and want sex.

But I get the feeling that sex is a neccessity for more men than it is women. Perhaps for women, sex is often a proof of love, and that makes women enjoy it more, whereas for men it is a basic physical need. We've heard a lot about women needing to be in a good place emotionally and mentally with their partners to get the most out of it.

Conclusion, before the feminist brigade hit me: I'm not saying there aren't liberated women out there who enjoy raunchy, unemotional sex, I'm just saying that a lot of the time it seems that women see sex as validation of feelings of love, whereas men NEED to have sex.

It explains why more men are going after women than the reverse.

It also explains those female friends we've all had who blatantly sleep around in the hope that someone will love them (whether they are aware of this hope or not).
Reply 43
not to mention the fact that most people in this country are obsessed with money. Hence the majority of girls date the cool guys and then marry the rich guys, breeding ignorance and a very unhappy (broken?) society.

I make no apologies for the rant.
If a woman thinks she's better than me purely because she has a pussy then she'll be taking up the arse for a few months instead :ahee:
Original post by aeterno
I'll show you mine if you show me yours :sexface:

Here's a sneak peak, just for you and I took the effort to shave as well:

Spoiler

Haha, thank you I lol'd
Reply 46
What I mean is, of course there are women with very high sex drives, and of course most women enjoy and want sex.

But I get the feeling that sex is a neccessity for more men than it is women. Perhaps for women, sex is often a proof of love, and that makes women enjoy it more, whereas for men it is a basic physical need. We've heard a lot about women needing to be in a good place emotionally and mentally with their partners to get the most out of it.

Conclusion, before the feminist brigade hit me: I'm not saying there aren't liberated women out there who enjoy raunchy, unemotional sex, I'm just saying that a lot of the time it seems that women see sex as validation of feelings of love, whereas men NEED to have sex.

It also explains those female friends we've all had who blatantly sleep around in the hope that someone will love them (whether they are aware of this hope or not).

Are you joking? When it comes to sex, girls sleep around to be cool and look good in front of their mates. Pathetic. They also lead guys on to make themselves look good. It's all just a pathetic game when you think about it.
Reply 47

I don't know, I think sex is equally valuable for men and women. Everyone knows the best sex is when you have feelings for that person at the same time.. I think nearly all men would admit that. Sex delivers on many levels - biological, physiological, emotional... etc. which is why I think naturally men and women want and need it as much as each other. But it is society that has made women's sexuality far more desirable than men's.

Also, a lot of times men will desire sex when what they really desire is intimacy and connection, because they struggle to get that in everyday life being more emotionally repressed. Maybe that's why women feel less need to have sex. I don't think any of these things are natural or given though.
don't take this the wrong way; I love women

And the collective female population of TSR just rolled their eyes.
Don't women earn an average of 15% less than men? What was the figure for the proportion of women who are sexually assaulted? Who are most likely to be in relative poverty in the UK- isn't it largely women bringing a child/children up without the children's dad?

Whilst I agree with the bad parts of celebrity culture, the 'power of the pussy' seems to have a lot of things against it.
Reply 50
Basically, what your argument boils down to is...

"Who cares if women earn 15% less then men, are constantly patronised, treated like objects, frequently victims of sexual harassment and assault and have their worth determined by how good they look. They can get laid more easily and therefore have the upper hand! I'm entitled to the time and attention of any woman I deem to be attractive but they don't want to give it to me and this means they have too much power and need to know their place."
Reply 51
Original post by tinywings
Basically, what your argument boils down to is...

"Who cares if women earn 15% less then men, are constantly patronised, treated like objects, frequently victims of sexual harassment and assault and have their worth determined by how good they look. They can get laid more easily and therefore have the upper hand! I'm entitled to the time and attention of any woman I deem to be attractive but they don't want to give it to me and this means they have too much power and need to know their place."

You didn't read my post since you would have seen I acknowledge that society is patriarchal. My point is that feminists do not acknowledge the power women have over men in the interpersonal world. You have just repeated exactly what I'm arguing against.
I love how ridiculously superficial the framing of 'interpersonal' gender relations is in the thread.
Dear me.......
damn, thats what my dissertation was going to be called... :angry:
Reply 55
You didn't read my post since you would have seen I acknowledge that society is patriarchal. My point is that feminists do not acknowledge the power women have over men in the interpersonal world. You have just repeated exactly what I'm arguing against.

I read every single word of your post, thanks. But simply acknowledging that we live in a patriarchal society doesn't stop your post dripping in entitlement and misogyny.

What is it exactly that you want "feminists" to do? I'm really struggling to see your point. How should feminists "acknowledge" the tiny bit of power women have over men? Do you want them to put a disclaimer in every time they discuss feminism or criticise men? "I was treated like **** in work today because of my gender but it's okay because if I send a man a picture of my vagina he'd think it was awesome!". Do you want us to ignore all the sexist stuff in the world because we can get sex more easily? (As long as we're not choosy about who we sleep with). Women have nowhere near the amount of power you claim they have, and your post seems to basically be complaining that it's unfair that they have the upper hand in ONE thing, even though men basically have the upper hand in pretty much everything important and worthwhile. Yes, certain women do hold some small amount of power of men in certain situations. It really doesn't change anything at all though. The power they have is also fleeting and it's a power earned at the expense of other, more important things.

You're like a child that has a huge pile of expensive toys and then see that another child has one smaller, inferior, less expensive toy, but it's still a toy you don't have all the same. Because you're used to having all the toys you see it as a massive problem that this child has one toy you don't have, even though it's a pretty crappy, useless toy compared to the ones you already have and it will probably break after a few months, you complain bitterly that this child has one toy you don't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
I read every single word of your post, thanks. But simply acknowledging that we live in a patriarchal society doesn't stop your post dripping in entitlement and misogyny.

What is it exactly that you want "feminists" to do? I'm really struggling to see your point. How should feminists "acknowledge" the tiny bit of power women have over men? Do you want them to put a disclaimer in every time they discuss feminism or criticise men? "I was treated like **** in work today because of my gender but it's okay because if I send a man a picture of my vagina he'd think it was awesome!". Do you want us to ignore all the sexist stuff in the world because we can get sex more easily? (As long as we're not choosy about who we sleep with). Women have nowhere near the amount of power you claim they have, and your post seems to basically be complaining that it's unfair that they have the upper hand in ONE thing, even though men basically have the upper hand in pretty much everything important and worthwhile. Yes, certain women do hold some small amount of power of men in certain situations. It really doesn't change anything at all though. The power they have is also fleeting and it's a power earned at the expense of other, more important things.

You're like a child that has a huge pile of expensive toys and then see that another child has one smaller, inferior, less expensive toy, but it's still a toy you don't have all the same. Because you're used to having all the toys you see it as a massive problem that this child has one toy you don't have, even though it's a pretty crappy, useless toy compared to the ones you already have and it will probably break after a few months, you complain bitterly that this child has one toy you don't.

You're too blinded by your own preconceptions - there's no point in arguing with you. Just know that between your legs you contain a weapon of immeasurable power. If you choose to use it that way :wink:
Reply 57
You're too blinded by your own preconceptions - there's no point in arguing with you.

The same to you, my friend.

Just know that between your legs you contain a weapon of immeasurable power. If you choose to use it that way :wink:

Holy ****, I wish I knew what this "immeasurable power" my vagina has was, all mine seems to do is expell the lining of my uterus every month. I mean, I did also shoot a lightning bolt out if it once. Is that it? Do you think it's broken?:confused:

Oh well, I'd better hurry up and figure out what this power is before I reach my late 30s and it becomes useless! It sucks having a power that you can only use for a small fraction of your life. I don't suppose you'd want to trade your life long man powers, would you? :frown:
Reply 58

Ran out of rep points but you've summed it up beautifully +1 in spirit :wink:

Oh well, I'd better hurry up and figure out what this power is before I reach my late 30s and it becomes useless! It sucks having a power that you can only use for a small fraction of your life. I don't suppose you'd want to trade your life long man powers, would you? :frown:

Cougar power!

Latest