The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by tite23

And about the "useless" thing, I used to be terrified to admit I wanted to be a writer lol.

I'll agree with that, it's one of those things that seems to have a stigma of 'lazy' attached! Awfully. :frown:

Original post by tite23
Yeah, what does 'philosophy' mean, anyways?

Couldn't tell you, i might have a think.

On an unrelated note, the senior staff at my school (a good northern comp) have apparently said that to apply to St. John's or Magdalen from a state school is tantamount to pointless, and they're speaking from experience. A tad depressing.
Original post by Speedy03
I'll agree with that, it's one of those things that seems to have a stigma of 'lazy' attached! Awfully. :frown:

Couldn't tell you, i might have a think.

On an unrelated note, the senior staff at my school (a good northern comp) have apparently said that to apply to St. John's or Magdalen from a state school is tantamount to pointless, and they're speaking from experience. A tad depressing.

That can't be right - I don't know about Magdalen, but St. John's has the highest percentages of state schoolers out of all the colleges (or it did the last time I looked at the statistics).
Reply 202
senior staff at my school...have apparently said that to apply to St. John's or Magdalen from a state school is tantamount to pointless, and they're speaking from experience

Check out the last table on this page ('Colleges and school type'):

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/school_type.html

In this table, 'maintained' means state school.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 203

They must have fairly limited experience. :lolwut:
Reply 204
Original post by anyone_can_fly
That can't be right - I don't know about Magdalen, but St. John's has the highest percentages of state schoolers out of all the colleges (or it did the last time I looked at the statistics).

Original post by shoshin
Check out the last table on this page ('Colleges and school type'):

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/school_type.html

In this table, 'maintained' means state school.

Best of luck :smile:

Original post by BJack
They must have fairly limited experience. :lolwut:

Mhm, i was/am pretty skeptical, but they do send one or two students to Oxbridge every year so... Do think i'll believe the stats though, i was quite hoping for a swift rebuttal so cheers. :smile:
Reply 205
St. John's has the highest percentages of state schoolers out of all the colleges (or it did the last time I looked at the statistics).

Think you're applying for Maths, so you won't mind me making what might seem at first sight a pedantic statistical correction. St. John's is very high up in the college rankings when it comes to the percentage of state schoolers among those who apply, but is only about average when it comes to the percentage who are then successful (which will be a more useful stat for you guys!). Merton, Mansfield and Wadham (for example) are high in both respects:

Not that this means that Speedy03's teachers have a point; St. John's still takes more than half of its intake from the state sector, as does Magdalen (and most of the other colleges too).

Good luck with your application :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
The maths website gives the criteria for interview/admission:
"Candidates will be invited to take the Admissions Test (on 2nd November 2011) and to come for Interview in Oxford if their application gives evidence of the motivation and ability (including an appropriate mathematical background) to undertake what are demanding courses at one of the world's leading universities, sufficient to offer the possibility of final selection given the overall field of applicants."

It looks like the MAT's quite a big part of this (but somebody who's applied already will probably know more).

So, not all applicants get to take the Admission Tests. Do I understand this correctly?:confused: Thanks, for looking up the criterias:smile:
Reply 207
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
So, not all applicants get to take the Admission Tests. Do I understand this correctly?:confused: Thanks, for looking up the criterias:smile:

Almost everyone takes the test, the "if" refers to the interview part.

I think it just says 'will be invited' because some people will be unable to take the test for some reason/will decide not to, and if they said 'will take the test' it could sound a bit too scary. As far as I know, everyone takes the test. :smile:
Original post by shoshin
Think you're applying for Maths, so you won't mind me making what might seem at first sight a pedantic statistical correction. St. John's is very high up in the college rankings when it comes to the percentage of state schoolers among those who apply, but is only about average when it comes to the percentage who are then successful (which will be a more useful stat for you guys!). Merton, Mansfield and Wadham (for example) are high in both respects:

Not that this means that Speedy03's teachers have a point; St. John's still takes more than half of its intake from the state sector, as does Magdalen (and most of the other colleges too).

Good luck with your application :smile:

I don't mind at all :smile:. I think I was just remembering out-of-date statistics, though, not confusing the two figures. Although the application/accepted rate is quite interesting: one of the things it shows is that despite Oxford saying their low state school rate is due to a lack of state schoolers applying, the table clearly shows that they have a lower success rate once they do apply. Although the private sector is vastly overrepresented in applications, too.
I hope Oxford tutors think very much like you=))
You really had an interview in college of my choice for the course of my choice? You must tell me all about it once I know my SAT scores=)) You should hope for your sake I'll get lower than 700 'cause I'm gonna ask you a billion questions :biggrin:
And why did you get lost, was it very big? And, was it beautiful? Were the tutors nice?))

Feel free to ask about it, but I won't be too helpful on any questions about the college in particular - one of my (five) interviews was there, but I don't remember much about the college apart from the friendly undergraduate helper people and getting lost! The people who interviewed me were also friendly, so hopefully that's a good sign :smile:

And about your later query - every applicant does take the MAT
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
If I did put Oxford PPE as first, then History at Leeds as last, wouldn't I be disadvantaged (for the Leeds application) since I would talk about some things in my PS that doesn't apply to history as much (eg Philosophy or Economics)

And thanks, didn't know that! But is it called the same thing?

You might be pushing it slightly, but sadly thats UCAS. You physically cannot send in two different applications. There's also the rule that you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. As for the disadvantaged, I'm sure you can find things that relate to all 4 subjects! Marx for example, there is plenty of crossover between History and Politics and Economics... Philosophy on the other hand, well idk much about it. But you can squeeze it in somewhere :smile:

Erm some unis calls it PEP, or some other variation, can't remember which one though :/

Your PS really depends on what courses (not just your 1st and 2nd choice) you're applying for. Technically it should relate to all of them but... I know of someone who got in for Law on a PPE PS.
Reply 212
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Those of you who seem sure of specific Oxford colleges, how did you choose?
I have no idea where to begin! :tongue:

Last summer I spent two weeks in Oxford and had a chance to visit most of the colleges.

I would suggest that you try to do the same. That way you can get an idea of the atmosphere ect. yourself. By the way, as far as I can remember, all of them are stunningly beautiful anyway (apart from St. Catz maybe :tongue:). :smile:
Thank you for your advice :smile: I have been researching for a few days and New College has really caught my eye! With a high intake of language students and such beautiful architecture. Definitely one of my preferences so far. I also like Brasenose
Original post by yeasayer
Last summer I spent two weeks in Oxford and had a chance to visit most of the colleges.

I would suggest that you try to do the same. That way you can get an idea of the atmosphere ect. yourself. By the way, as far as I can remember, all of them are stunningly beautiful anyway (apart from St. Catz maybe :tongue:). :smile:

And St Annes. Apparently people frequently walk past it when trying to find it, because it looks like a Travelodge instead of a college. :biggrin:

I think that once you're there though, how pretty your college is doesn't really affect your life much.
Original post by RichE
Almost everyone takes the test, the "if" refers to the interview part.

I think it just says 'will be invited' because some people will be unable to take the test for some reason/will decide not to, and if they said 'will take the test' it could sound a bit too scary. As far as I know, everyone takes the test. :smile:

Thanks for info, I guess I should have done the research myself :colondollar::smile:

Original post by LtCommanderData
Feel free to ask about it, but I won't be too helpful on any questions about the college in particular - one of my (five) interviews was there, but I don't remember much about the college apart from the friendly undergraduate helper people and getting lost! The people who interviewed me were also friendly, so hopefully that's a good sign :smile:

And about your later query - every applicant does take the MAT

Yeah, I've read about Univ being almost TOO friendly :biggrin: I'll ask some more questions later about the interviews and knowledge stuff. I'll try to be not too vexing(the SAT word for "annoying":biggrin:) though. Thaaaaanks))
Thanks for info, I guess I should have done the research myself :colondollar::smile:

Yeah, I've read about Univ being almost TOO friendly :biggrin: I'll ask some more questions later about the interviews and knowledge stuff. I'll try to be not too vexing(the SAT word for "annoying":biggrin:) though. Thaaaaanks))

I think most people know what vexing means...
I know, but I think it would be strange to use it here instead of "annoying", the explanation meant to describe(unsuccessful, I see)how much I'm into exam preparation right now, not to teach or explain anything to anyone.))
(edited 13 years ago)

But then what would we have TSR for? :wink:
But then what would we have TSR for? :wink:

Yes, it's a really helpful and informative place:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending