The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by innerhollow
I'm in a similar position myself. I don't think the constant drudgery is something I hope to keep going long-term, so when I work up the courage to commit suicide I'm out of here. Not now obviously, but at some point. I know that it will upset my parents, but to be honest, they chose to have children knowing all the risks. I didn't consent to being brought to life, so I'm not morally obliged to remain here.

It's not that my life is particularly bad (I think I have a rather nice little life actually :smile: ) I just think there's no point continuing with some tedious existence when I'm going to die anyway. Life for me is just a stream of boredom punctuated by the occassional burst of positive emotion. That's the same for everyone, but I've decided, it's not really worth it on the whole. I think I'll get a few things I want to in life done, and then quit while I'm ahead.

EDIT: I'll remember to donate all my current money to a chosen charity and get an organ donor card before I do though. I promise!

Just because you've acknowledged the pointless nature of life doesn't mean you're no longer obliged to live it.

You're not being logical at all tbh, when you die the world doesn't cease to exist, your relatives have to live on knowing, all so you could avoid tediousness. It's just ridiculous and selfish.

I'm sure many people want to kill themselves and don't fear death, and hate life far more than you, but don't, because they can at least see what they'd do to others, and respect their parents.

Sorry to be harsh, but it's genuinely how I feel, and I don't want anyone else to think it's okay to think like that.

EMZ.
Reply 141
Original post by kerily
Well, it's not logical in the rigorous definition of the term, in which every statement follows a perfectly logical derivation and comes originally from things I know to be true :tongue: Rather, it just seems logical to me. Which, yes, isn't the most intellectually accurate description, but I mean more that it feels perfectly normal to say to myself 'one day, you're going to die by suicide'.

So what you're trying to say is that it's not logical after all? Perhaps it feels perfectly normal because you've been saying and believing it for so long.
Join the club?

Heck, I'll probably take the emergency exit at some point too.
Reply 143
Original post by Planar
So what you're trying to say is that it's not logical after all? Perhaps it feels perfectly normal because you've been saying and believing it for so long.

'Logical' is perhaps the wrong word, and I'm not saying that it's normal or usual or anything that many other people do. But it seems to have followed logically from something innate in my mindset/state of being.

It's quite hard to justify to be honest, especially when I'm usually a massive fan of rational proofs and evidence. But it's always felt 'logical' - even when I was 8 or 9 and it occurred to me for the first time, it felt perfectly normal.
Reply 144
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Setting aside religion, once you're dead, you're dead. Not for a finite amount of time, but forever. And with it goes your consciousness. So for me it boils down to, if we all go to the same place sooner or later, going by choice is just taking away from the point of it all. To exist.

And besides, there's always this:

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/01/25/Deep_brain_stimulation_surgery_first_for_depression/

Wikipedia
There is insufficient evidence to support DBS as a therapeutic modality for depression, however, the procedure may be an effective treatment modality in the future. Researchers reported in 2005 that electrical stimulation of a small area of the frontal cortex brought about a "striking and sustained remission" in four out of six patients suffering from major depression. Their symptoms had previously been resistant to medication, psychotherapy and electroconvulsive therapy.

Using brain imaging, the researchers had noticed that activity in the subgenual cingulate—the lowest part of a band of tissue that runs along the midline of the brain—seemed to correlate with symptoms of sadness and depression. They implanted electrodes into six patients while they were locally anesthetised, but alert. While the current was switched on, four of the patients reported feeling a black cloud lifting, and became more alert and interested in their environments. The changes reversed when the current was switched off.

The effects of continuous subgenual cingulate stimulation have produced sustained remission from depression in the four patients for six months. When reporting the results, the team did caution that the trial was so small that the findings must be considered only provisional.

A systematic review of DBS for treatment resistant depression and obsessive–compulsive disorder identified 23 cases—nine for OCD, seven for treatment-resistant depression, and one for both. It found that "about half the patients did show dramatic improvement" and that adverse events were "generally trivial" given the younger psychiatric patient population than with movements disorders.
I'm a Samaritan and if you ever feel the need to talk about this at any time, hit me up with a PM. I'm sure people have said that to you before and I don't know your opinions on talking about it / whether or not you have done before and it has or hasn't helped, but the offer is there.

Very open minded about the concept of suicide, sometimes people just reach the end of what they're willing, and able, to tolerate by way of events or possibly the lack of events in life, for people this applies to, sometimes suicide is the natural option. On the other hand, I've spoken to many people who have been suicidal but in the end have realised that what they really wanted was another way out of the situation they're in.

I'm not sure what I'm contributing to this thread right now, insanely tired and didn't read the whole thread / recent comments, if it's irrelevant, disregard it please. =]
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Emmaleuk
This is so sad...

And? Life is pretty tragic on the whole. The only thing that keeps most people in the world going is the biological compulsion to survive. Most of the world spends their life acquiring resources, so they can survive, so they can acquire resources, (ad infinitum). And even if you escape that resource trap of just working to survive, you're still not satisfied.

Original post by I HEART KFC!!!
how can you think like this when you are studying chemical engineering. I'm not being an ass and i'll try to say this the nicest way possible but it seems like you dont care about anything... how come u studied hard then?

Well to say I don't care about anything is wrong. I care about plenty of stuff, and I care a lot about my education. It's not like I've completely given up on life. Like I said, I want to achieve a few things (i.e. graduate with 1st-class honours, achieve my ideal physique) and then quit while I'm ahead, rather than dragging out my life longer than it needs to be.

Original post by Emor
I'm sure many people want to kill themselves and don't fear death, and hate life far more than you, but don't, because they can at least see what they'd do to others, and respect their parents.

Oh wow, what an original post, it's almost as if you haven't just repeated what hundreds of other posters have already said. :rolleyes:

Suicide is pretty selfish, but the other side of the coin is that it's also pretty selfish to ask people to remain alive when they don't want to. Nobody chose to be born, therefore compelling people to remain here when they don't want to is tantamount to some kind of existential prison.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 147

Oh wow, what an original post, it's almost as if you haven't just repeated what hundreds of other posters have already said. :rolleyes:

Suicide is pretty selfish, but the other side of the coin is that it's also pretty selfish to ask people to remain alive when they don't want to. Nobody chose to be born, therefore compelling people to remain here when they don't want to is tantamount to some kind of existential prison.

Well, I wasn't going to go through 10+ pages of posts just so I didn't waste your time, frankly.

It's far more selfish to permanently damage the lives of those who are aware that you can't just kill yourself when life gets ****ty, because you think it's tedious and trivial -_-.

I'm not going to reproduce because I don't think life is worth *giving*, but it's just ****ing selfish to kill yourself because of simple logic. It's people like you who can justify death with such basic reasoning it annoys me. You haven't even bothered to factor in many other variables which may lead to negative consequences utilitarian-wise. That in it's self is just selfish.

EMZ.
Original post by Emor
Well, I wasn't going to go through 10+ pages of posts just so I didn't waste your time, frankly.

It's far more selfish to permanently damage the lives of those who are aware that you can't just kill yourself when life gets ****ty, because you think it's tedious and trivial -_-.

I'm not going to reproduce because I don't think life is worth *giving*, but it's just ****ing selfish to kill yourself because of simple logic. It's people like you who can justify death with such basic reasoning it annoys me. You haven't even bothered to factor in many other variables which may lead to negative consequences utilitarian-wise. That in it's self is just selfish.

EMZ.

It's selfish of people to reproduce out of biological impulse/desire for fulfillment, and then compell the offspring they produce to remain alive against their will. When you choose to have children, you take the risk that they will die/disappoint you in some way. If you want to avoid that, don't have children. Children may choose to please their parents out of gratitude; but there is no ethical responsibility for them to live up to the desires of their makers. When you voluntarily procreate, you have to accept the consequences.

People shouldn't be coerced into remaining alive. You can call suicidal people "selfish" all you want, but frankly it's a rather childish statement to throw around.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 149
It's selfish of people to reproduce out of biological impulse/desire for fulfillment, and then compell the offspring they produce to remain alive against their will. When you choose to have children, you take the risk that they will die/disappoint you in some way. If you want to avoid that, don't have children. Children may choose to please their parents out of gratitude; but there is no ethical responsibility for them to live up to the desires of their makers. When you voluntarily procreate, you have to accept the consequences.

People shouldn't be coerced into remaining alive. You can call suicidal people "selfish" all you want, but frankly it's a rather childish statement to throw around.

Because it is selfish to inflict pain onto many people, just so you can avoid pain. It's not just parents, it's everyone you're affiliated with. They never asked to know you. But they do.

EMZ.
Original post by Emor
Because it is selfish to inflict pain onto many people, just so you can avoid pain. It's not just parents, it's everyone you're affiliated with. They never asked to know you. But they do.

EMZ.

I doubt that anyone except for my parents and boyfriend would care. But, you know what? Okay, I accept it's selfish. So what? That shouldn't impede on someone's right to their own life.

No need to sign off everything with "EMZ".
The only chances a person has of dying of suicide is if they commit it. Obviously.

So, don't commit it and the chances are like 100% to none. :smile:
Reply 152
cant believe it when people say suicide is selfish, i for one am not suicidal, and dont believe for a second that you have to be of insane mind to want to commit suicide, if theres one thing we should all have a choice on its this, why should we even for a second feel we have to be shoved through life because its "unpleasant" that other people have to hear about our suicide.
i sincerely hope you dont end your life, but in a world where we jump through societies hoops with no real impact other than to keep people who brand suicidal people "selfish" happy, i wouldnt blame you for taking some control of your life.

i also believe il some day die of suicide, not out off depression, madness, hapiness euphoria or otherwise, simply because i know life will get to a stage when its just not fun anymore
Reply 153
If you're being sane and not attention-seeking, I would suggest speaking to a doctor or counsellor. No one on TSR can give you any real help.

P.S. Suicide is the easy way out, don't do it.
Original post by mathperson
OK, firstly I just want to say this is not a thread that has been made because I've had a bad day, and is it not a simple rant.

I'm not clinically depressed at the moment, and so am not in receipt of any counselling or medication therapy.

However, as many people on TSR will be aware, I have experienced real, and severe, depression 1 year back (which I had for about 18 months - 2 years in total, but feelings of 'being down'/upset for probably 3 years to be realistic).

I just feel that at some point, maybe in the next six months, maybe in the next 10 years (though I must admit I don't think it will be that long at all) that I will die by suicide.

I'm not writing this thread because I expect someone to reply with a well rehersed answer, just because I feel as though I would like to express it.

Thanks.

When I first clicked on this thread yesterday, I assumed someone had dragged up an old thread. I had serious déjà-vu reading this OP and am sure you've started an almost identical thread and not 18 months ago either.

I can't remember your circumstances and how you've ended up in the situation you're in. I can empathise to an extent but equally think this isn't a state of mind you should be in and that you shouldn't continue like this if at all possible.

You said that counselling helped: have you considered going for it again? Or trying to open up to people close to you? Starting a thread on TSR like this, even if you claim that you're not expecting people to reply and that you're just expressing yourself, is likely to be a cry for help, even if a subconscious one.

I'm no medic or psychologist but I can't think of many situations in which this would be an unresolvable state of mind. That's not to say things will get better overnight or even better at all but I think since talking to people and sharing how you feel has been productive in the past, it might be worth giving this a go.

Quote me if you reply: this thread isn't the best one for me to hang around in atm :smile:
Reply 155
I doubt that anyone except for my parents and boyfriend would care. But, you know what? Okay, I accept it's selfish. So what? That shouldn't impede on someone's right to their own life.

No need to sign off everything with "EMZ".

What do you mean 'So what?'. You're inflicting pain onto others with little regard. But if you're fine with that, then fine, w.e, but don't let onto people that it's justified.

And I know I don't have to, I just prefer doing so since I've been doing it for years(the first forums I used didn't have a signature function and it was the norm to type one at the end of every post, and it continued onto later versions with better software, and most people don't seem to have a problem with it so meh).

EMZ.
Original post by kerily
Without wanting to make every TSR thread about my mental health issues, I have been self-harming and suicidal for the past 5-6 years and made numerous suicide attempts before. I've also had a minor alcohol problem. I went to my GP saying this when I was 13 and everything was just starting, and got told I was fine, despite having attempted suicide; I then went to my GP a couple of weeks ago, told them about the 5-6 years of history, and again, yeah, apparently it's just my period. :rolleyes: I realise I come over as a disillusioned cynic, but having such faith in the mental health system is perhaps a trifle naive - people with real problems do get told to go away. I also have a friend who's been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and has told her GP multiple times that she thinks she's going to severely damage someone else or herself, and begged to be admitted to a secure unit because she honestly believes she's going to do something awful. Her GP refuses to admit her to hospital.

It scares me to think that this may be repeated up and down the country :eek:

That is really unfortunate that despite having that type of schizophrenia and her thoughts, she has been unable to get further help. However, I don't know the ins and outs so it's difficult to comment more.
You should probably go and see a therapist about that.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
This isn't a counter-argument or anything, but more a point of note. I completely understand the point about the end result of being depression for X amount of years, but I don't wholly agree with it. I understand that it is ultimately a horrible result (crappy job, old age, no friends, no family and a general crap life)

But it's something? Maybe it is just me, but I find the thought of death utterly terrifying. To have lived, breathed, felt joy (at some point if any), felt depressed - it's all an integral point of my existence. It is me. Of course, you don't have those crucial aspects which make it worth being you, but you still exist. Some say what is the point in existing at all? But at least you exist in the first place.

Setting aside religion, once you're dead, you're dead. Not for a finite amount of time, but forever. And with it goes your consciousness. So for me it boils down to, if we all go to the same place sooner or later, going by choice is just taking away from the point of it all. To exist.

I realise that is a totally incoherent post. Don't mind me. :getmecoat:

Isn't that the whole point of suicide? It's better to cease existing entirely than continue to live? That's the beauty of it, not only do you end the crappy existence but you never, ever have any chance of it happening again. You continue to live, even recovered from depression and that chance remains.

I realize you weren't arguing against just making a point, but I thought it'd be rude to leave you hanging. :tongue:
Reply 159
Original post by NellGwynne
The only chances a person has of dying of suicide is if they commit it. Obviously.

So, don't commit it and the chances are like 100% to none. :smile:

thankyou, o'wise one

:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending