The Student Room Group

Religion Is Needed In Society To Give Hope And Keep The Masses In Line.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BakerStreet

Original post by BakerStreet
Completely original and inquisitive ideas. You didn't at all just rephrase the Marxist idea that religion is the Opiate of the masses.

I can honestly say that I did not have Marx in my head whilst writing this.

It is the opiate of the masses, yes - take it away and you have mayhem. Thus, we need it to keep the "masses" in line - I don't think Marx went further to say that...
Original post by U.S Lecce

There's no evidence to say i'm not superman.

There is no evidence to say that you are superman.

Therefore, the case is neither disproved nor proved.

Therefore, we are still at square one and have not moved anywhere. :colonhash:
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£

He's Schroedinger's Kryptonian.
Original post by harmonize
There is no morality without a God

Balls.
LOL NO SILLY

I don't want to abolish religion, that'd be pointless and free-will stealinz.

BUT I don't accept that a non-religious society can't function perfectly well and morally and cheerfully.

- Who are the masses btw? They sound simply DREADFUL.
Reply 25
There is no evidence to say that you are superman.

Therefore, we are still at square one and have not moved anywhere. :colonhash:

Therefore theists should stop using the arguament, that you can't disprove god, because it quite simply isn't valid argument. Just like in court a victim can't use the argument, "prove the accused never attacked me". The whole point is to prove the accused is guilty i.e the verdict is 'guilty' or 'not proven'.

I believe that is check and mate :ahee:

Therefore theists should stop using the arguament, that you can't disprove god, because it quite simply isn't valid argument. Just like in court a victim can't use the argument, "prove the accused never attacked me". The whole point is to prove the accused is guilty i.e the verdict is 'guilty' or 'not proven'.

I believe that is check and mate :ahee:

That was exactly my point - in other words, God can neither be disproved nor proved. That is one of the most truthful statements Man has ever heard.
Reply 27
That religion keeps the masses in-line is nothing new. The status quo has been maintained by the elites for thousands of years.
Those who reject conventional religions simply adopt some equivalent mass-participation lifestyle with its own moral code and self-evident truths. They still need and seek out or generate the same kind of sense of place and belonging that conventional religions offer.

In that sense, most people really do need some kind of religion, these days not necessarily one based in a church, though.
Reply 29
Society and it's rules keep people in line; not religion.

Sure almost every society was once (in some cases still is) based on religion and it's ideas to explain what they deemed un-explainable. However, that does not mean that religion needs to be continued to be supported after society has rendered it redundant.

Religion was once necessary for the reasons you list. That is no longer the case today.
Reply 30
i have nothing (much) against religeon, however in my opinion its like sexual sadism, if youre into that fine go nuts, but i dont want it shoved down my throat every five seconds, i got stopped by a man who was so adamant his god was the right one he decided to let me know at full volume in a public place id go to hell if i set foot near that place (while pointing to liquid night club) i personally believe that every written down religeon is arse gravey of the highest calibre, but im not gna go to a church/mosque or any other religeous building and shout YOUR ALL WASTING YOUR ****ING TIME.

but then again its not religeon thats to blame its people, so many people.
Original post by Sir Toad

Original post by Sir Toad
Society and it's rules keep people in line; not religion.

Sure almost every society was once (in some cases still is) based on religion and it's ideas to explain what they deemed un-explainable. However, that does not mean that religion needs to be continued to be supported after society has rendered it redundant.

Religion was once necessary for the reasons you list. That is no longer the case today.

Really? So you do not believe that Britain's laws are not influenced by Christianity?
Reply 32
Really? So you do not believe that Britain's laws are not influenced by Christianity?

On the contrary. I think Christianity has been hugely influential, and still is. However, I do not think that it still should be, nor do I think it is still necessary.
Reply 33
Yes you are right, religion was and still is a method used to keep the masses in line.

But the new age religion is 'media' which is vastly more powerful than giving a man a book full of words and telling him he will burn for all eternity if he disobeys.

Why does anyone think religion in the west has been allowed to become almost obsolete? Because now we are controlled and keep in line by other means, namely our tv's.
Religion is needed to rule over the stupid.

When someone does not see the benefits of not breaking the law, what better way to stop them doing so than make them believe an imaginary man is going to hurt them for a very long time if they do.
For all of those who are so against the religion to the point of abolishing it - I think abolishing religion or some religions would be a dangerous and undesirable road to go down.

This is because, religion gives hope to the meek and "fallen" and keeps the "masses" at bay. Society needs people to think that they are acting "good" under the eyes of a deity or else, if there were no religion, the chances are that those same people would be unruly and go about causing mayhem and "evil". Of course, there are some who would be sensible anyway, religion or no religion. But, a majority may not be so sensible.

Thus, religion is actually needed alongside Law and Order in order to maintain society.

Discuss.

Historically, it's quite likely that religion was invented particularly for this reason. The prolatariat (the commoners) have long been in servitute do the ruling classes. If these classes say "life is all about suffering - the good times are when you die and go to heaven" it stops them from revolting to get a better life. This revelation was the basis for the Russian revolution, I reckon, and why Marxism in general is pretty staunchly aetheist. I am too! Down with the queen!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending