The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Manchester??

Whicj one to firm?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on learning style, what you like in the course, city, etc, etc.

Personally, Birmingham by a mile.
Reply 2
Totally different learning styles, if you really do have the two offers then you should know what I'm talking about.

Go with the one you feel comfortable with..
Reply 3
Original post by Straight up G
Depends on learning style, what you like in the course, city, etc, etc.

Personally, Birmingham by a mile.

why?
Reply 4
There totally different learning styles. Try and see which city you can live for at least 5 years.
Personally though I'd go with Manchester. Its supposed to have the best night life outside London.
Reply 5
Original post by Gowrav
There totally different learning styles. Try and see which city you can live for at least 5 years.
Personally though I'd go with Manchester. Its supposed to have the best night life outside London.

I thought it wa biemingham that had the best nightlife after LDN, being the 2nd city.

I thought it had a perfect uni experience and a better ranking.
Original post by bhamsh
why?

I like the place, like the course better, like the location, quite a few things. There are other things that people might find quite offensive if I say them, considering how sensitive people are in this forum.
Reply 7
Original post by bhamsh
I thought it wa biemingham that had the best nightlife after LDN, being the 2nd city.

I thought it had a perfect uni experience and a better ranking.

I'm pretty sure it's Manchester (Its the biggest uni in Europe) . Ranking doesn't mean anything. Also there is no such thing as a perfect uni experience, there will always be ups and lows of every uni. But seriously they are totally different course..just go with the uni in the teaching style you learn best.
Reply 8
I like the place, like the course better, like the location, quite a few things. There are other things that people might find quite offensive if I say them, considering how sensitive people are in this forum.

pm me :biggrin:
Reply 9
Birmingham 100%

Going to Manchester is simply paying £3000 a year for the privilege of teaching yourself medicine.
Reply 10
Original post by gozatron
Birmingham 100%

Going to Manchester is simply paying £3000 a year for the privilege of teaching yourself medicine.

you mean beacuse fo PBL?
Reply 11
Original post by gozatron
Birmingham 100%

Clearly you don't understand the concept of PBL, its better than sitting in a lecture and being bored listening to someone drone on.
Original post by Gowrav
Clearly you don't understand the concept of PBL, its better than sitting in a lecture and being bored listening to someone drone on.

At Manchester it's ****e. Even though I'm not a medical student yet, I have actually sat through a lecture there and it wasn't bad at all.
Reply 13
At Manchester it's ****e. Even though I'm not a medical student yet, I have actually sat through a lecture there and it wasn't bad at all.

Sit through a lecture when you get only like 4-5 hours sleep..then you tend to nod off. More and more unis are starting to either do pbl or integrated (manchester is becoming more integerated this year). It has also been proven through research PBL is the better way of learning than through lecture. Also PBL is only for the first 2 year of any uni that does it.
Reply 14
Original post by Gowrav
Sit through a lecture when you get only like 4-5 hours sleep..then you tend to nod off. More and more unis are starting to either do pbl or integrated (manchester is becoming more integerated this year). It has also been proven through research PBL is the better way of learning than through lecture. Also PBL is only for the first 2 year of any uni that does it.

Where is this research? I, on the other hand, can provide you with a plethora of laments toward PBL.
Reply 15
i got offers for Birmingham and Manchester too, but for me i had no doubt that i would confirm Birmingham... i love the place, the accommodation, the course, whereas for me, Manchester just didn't seem the place i want to spend my next 3/4 years.
Original post by SteveCrain
Where is this research? I, on the other hand, can provide you with a plethora of laments toward PBL.

Here's some research.
Reply 17
Original post by hannahsl
i got offers for Birmingham and Manchester too, but for me i had no doubt that i would confirm Birmingham... i love the place, the accommodation, the course, whereas for me, Manchester just didn't seem the place i want to spend my next 3/4 years.

But I heard bham doent do dissection and had a weak anatony teaching, what you think abt it?

and also heard that bham has too many medical students.
Reply 18
Manchester is by far the nicer city.

What's the Asian to White ratio of Birmingham Med students btw?
Original post by Gowrav

oh aye, manchester does have the best nightclubs closely followed by cardiff's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending