The Student Room Group

Leicester vs. Reading for Management Studies

Hi guys, I have got unconditional offer from Leicester - Management studies, and conditional offer from Reading - Business and management, I personally prefer Leicester over Reading, but would like to hear your opinions also.

1. Living cost: I live in Reading area now, the rent is quite expensive and if we move to Leicester it will be a lot cheaper. (I have a family with a little boy, so he will have to be in the full time nursery when I start my course in October.)

2. Ranking: the ranking for business and management between Leicester and Reading is almost same, but the overall ranking Leicester is far better than Reading.

3. I have been living in Reading for a few years now, would like to move to another area for a change also.

4. Reading uni needs to take the IELTS exam again, I am not worried to take the exam, as I had 6.5 in 2006 already, I don't think my English is going to get worse than that, just need to take some time to study, but I would not prefer not taking the exam if I don't have to.

5. The only reason for Reading is they offer one year work placement, which Leicester doesn't have this. This is why I struggle with the decision.

These are my reasons for choosing Leicester over Reading, but I haven't made a decison yet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd go Leicester.
Firstly because I wouldn't want to go to University that close to were I live (for you Reading) because moving away and gaining independence is a key part of the University experience which will allow you to grow as a person.
Secondly concerning the year placement, if you go to Leicester you can still do work experience during the summer whether that be internships or just emailing firms in the industry you want to work to see if they'll take you on for 2 or 3 months to gain experience. It's not preferable to doing a year in industry but will allow you to exit uni with some experience.
It seems like the only reason you're looking at Reading is the placement year, yes its importance shouldn't be sniffed at but if you feel better suited and more excited about Leicester then thats the place for you.
You can make up for the year in industry, whereas the cost advantage of Leicester and the more prestigious nature of the university make it the more obvious choice.
Reply 2
HXL
OP
Original post by rugbygreg
I'd go Leicester.
Firstly because I wouldn't want to go to University that close to were I live (for you Reading) because moving away and gaining independence is a key part of the University experience which will allow you to grow as a person.
Secondly concerning the year placement, if you go to Leicester you can still do work experience during the summer whether that be internships or just emailing firms in the industry you want to work to see if they'll take you on for 2 or 3 months to gain experience. It's not preferable to doing a year in industry but will allow you to exit uni with some experience.
It seems like the only reason you're looking at Reading is the placement year, yes its importance shouldn't be sniffed at but if you feel better suited and more excited about Leicester then thats the place for you.
You can make up for the year in industry, whereas the cost advantage of Leicester and the more prestigious nature of the university make it the more obvious choice.

Thanks for your opinion. Yes, I think I will definitely go to Leicester. Independence is not a problem, I am married and have a kid, living on our own, but I do want to move and see more rather than staying in Reading forever.

We will starting to look for a house to live in Leicester soon, so we can settle everything before the course starts - esp to find a right nursery for my son.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending