The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

To be fair, the accommodation isn't supposed to be first come first served. But don't forget that Uni places aaren't supposed to have any element of first come first served..... but that can't be true because you get so many offers before the deadline. So I don't really trust the whole "its not first come first served" thing......
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 621
at CD i was told you have control over the heaters but it's not the same in some accommodations, any idea which ones give you control?
Reply 622
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
That can't be true cause accommodation isn't first come first serve! As people might not have an offer in feb! The girl said to me yesterday that's MOST people get their first choice if they have the right priorities like someone who applies HP for ensuite is unlikely to get in cause it's so limited!

Apparently it is not first come first served and I was told the same, BUT from a logistical point of view the staff dont want to have to wait till july to start allocating rooms - no doubt they already are now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 623
Original post by Laura x<3x
To be fair, the accommodation isn't supposed to be first come first served. But don't forget that Uni places aaren't supposed to have any element of first come first served..... but that can't be true because you get so many offers before the deadline. So I don't really trust the whole "its not first come first served" thing......

i know what you mean. You can never believe what 'official statements' they probably use priorities first but if needed time of application'd probably come into factor then
Original post by dmz
i know what you mean. You can never believe what 'official statements' they probably use priorities first but if needed time of application'd probably come into factor then

Exactly.

Also I've heard that its at least in part done on the basis of how soon you confirm your place. So unconditionals first pick, people on early finishing courses and stuff next and so on. Which doesn't really seem fair but I get my results in June so not gna complain to much like

I thought in cases where some people get offers before everyone has had their interview are based on a percentage grading? For example, if there are 25 places on a course and 100 people get interviewed on 5 different interview dates, they will be looking to give 1/4 of the people from each interview group an offer of a place (or often more as they expect some people not to take the offer)?

This can seem a little unfair though, as one group might have 20 really fantastic applicants where only 1/4 will get offers and one group might only have 2 really good applications but they still have to give the sakme amount of offers... so I don't know :confused: someone just said this was how it was worked out...

Exactly.

Also I've heard that its at least in part done on the basis of how soon you confirm your place. So unconditionals first pick, people on early finishing courses and stuff next and so on. Which doesn't really seem fair but I get my results in June so not gna complain to much like

In regards to accommodation with people getting first pick if they have an unconditional offer, I heard that it works in a similar way. They only allocate a percentage of places for each halls to the unconditionals. So if 25% of offers are for unconditionals and the other 75% are for people who have conditional offers, they will only allocate 25% of rooms for each halls for those with unconditional offers, so they have the exact same chance as getting their choice as someone who has a conditional offer.
(edited 13 years ago)
If only someone would pick up Clarence Dock and plant it in Montague Burton's place...it would make this situation so much easier :frown:
Reply 627
Original post by dmz
after talking to my dad and considering academic aspects (I'm the type to study at night so if i need the library can't be too far ) and tbh it feels like I'm trying to convince myself about CD

i can't ride a bike properly :ashamed: but it has over a 1000 students. I really wouldn't be worried if distance is not an issue for you.

Without trying to sound too much like an arrogant dick, I don't think you'll need to consider the academic aspects AS MUCH in the 1st year compared to others. Obviously I'm not saying skip lectures, and you'll need to do extra work but from what I've heard it's less of an issue in 1st year as others.

I'd love to stay in somewhere like Clarence or Lupton 2nd or 3rd year if halls were considered the norm, but for 1st year I'd rather have a massive party. :biggrin:
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
I thought in cases where some people get offers before everyone has had their interview are based on a percentage grading? For example, if there are 25 places on a course and 100 people get interviewed on 5 different interview dates, they will be looking to give 1/4 of the people from each interview group an offer of a place (or often more as they expect some people not to take the offer)?

This can seem a little unfair though, as one group might have 20 really fantastic applicants where only 1/4 will get offers and one group might only have 2 really good applications but they still have to give the sakme amount of offers... so I don't know :confused: someone just said this was how it was worked out...

In regards to accommodation with people getting first pick if they have an unconditional offer, I heard that it works in a similar way. They only allocate a percentage of places for each halls to the unconditionals. So if 25% of offers are for unconditionals and the other 75% are for people who have conditional offers, they will only allocate 25% of rooms for each halls for those with unconditional offers, so they have the exact same chance as getting their choice as someone who has a conditional offer.

Oh okay!! Well thats not so bad then! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 629
Original post by Xabi17
Without trying to sound too much like an arrogant dick, I don't think you'll need to consider the academic aspects AS MUCH in the 1st year compared to others. Obviously I'm not saying skip lectures, and you'll need to do extra work but from what I've heard it's less of an issue in 1st year as others.

I'd love to stay in somewhere like Clarence or Lupton 2nd or 3rd year if halls were considered the norm, but for 1st year I'd rather have a massive party. :biggrin:

need to do really well to do the actual course i want to do :tongue: I'm far from a geek, but i don't want to screw up like i have in the past. I'm not worried about social aspect of CD tbh cos the bar on site was quite good and it's an easy walk to town centre which is where clubs are. Bailie is between everything and the bus service is great plus it looks really new. If Clarence looked as new I'd defo go for it
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
If only someone would pick up Clarence Dock and plant it in Montague Burton's place...it would make this situation so much easier :frown:

it would! Not sure if i liked Clarence dock outside the gates but we didn't really get to see it properly. It was impossible for pictures but the ones online are photoshopped. I found a link to actual pictures. Posted them earlier :tongue:
Exactly.

that would seem right tbh, like get the defo's out of the way first
Reply 630
Original post by dmz
need to do really well to do the actual course i want to do :tongue: I'm far from a geek, but i don't want to screw up like i have in the past. I'm not worried about social aspect of CD tbh cos the bar on site was quite good and it's an easy walk to town centre which is where clubs are. Bailie is between everything and the bus service is great plus it looks really new. If Clarence looked as new I'd defo go for it

Fair enough man. What are you studying, out of interest (I'm sure you've said it before but I have a terrible memory when it's people I know, never mind strangers on a forum :colondollar:)
Reply 631
Original post by Xabi17
Fair enough man. What are you studying, out of interest (I'm sure you've said it before but I have a terrible memory when it's people I know, never mind strangers on a forum :colondollar:)

Haha Yea. Medical engineering. It's under mechanical with some biology
Did anyone take pictures of the tannery and leodis?
Original post by bretters
I really like the tannery especially because it's so close to the business school, which is my department.
Anyone know how good the nightlife is though, don't wanna be stuck with some boring postgrads or anything!

There will be less postgrads at The Tannery than a lot of residences and they will only be in one block which just has studios. So there will be about 30 max.
Original post by bretters
my cousins go to Leeds and the general view is that nobody gets their first choice of accommodation if you don't apply in the first month that the applications open, which is February :frown:

Our applications open in November not February. And watever "general view"s may be held, I can assure you that we don't allocate any new students until after the 1st July closing date. Are you sure they don't go the Met - I think their applications open about then and they do have a first come, first served system.
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
That can't be true cause accommodation isn't first come first serve! As people might not have an offer in feb! The girl said to me yesterday that's MOST people get their first choice if they have the right priorities like someone who applies HP for ensuite is unlikely to get in cause it's so limited!

Yup, about 75%
So I don't really trust the whole "its not first come first served" thing......

Well, you should :smile:
Original post by accomoffice
Our applications open in November not February. And watever "general view"s may be held, I can assure you that we don't allocate any new students until after the 1st July closing date. Are you sure they don't go the Met - I think their applications open about then and they do have a first come, first served system.

So do the time of year that you get your results/ unconditional offers make any difference?
Original post by alevels
Apparently it is not first come first served and I was told the same, BUT from a logistical point of view the staff dont want to have to wait till july to start allocating rooms - no doubt they already are now.

Err, we are doing other stuff the rest of the year, you know! We do wait until July (in fact usually the second half). The only people we are allocating at the moment (or about to start) are the "returning" students (second, third and fourth years) and there's only about 300 of them and most want to live in the small houses. And we start allocating international postgrads at the beginning of July but they have designated postgrad blocks.
Original post by dmz
if needed time of application'd probably come into factor then

No it wouldn't :smile:

Latest