The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 5 Synoptic Essay Help!

I've just been assigned an essay title and I really have no idea where to start, or what to write about.

The title is, 'Ways in which different species of organisms differ from each other'

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by themilkshakeman
I've just been assigned an essay title and I really have no idea where to start, or what to write about.

The title is, 'Ways in which different species of organisms differ from each other'

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

oh dear that sounds hrd i have no idea either. im doing unit 5 and havent started to practice the essays either.
Reply 2
Choose a number of topics, for example you could talk about how their digestive systems differ, their gaseous exchange systems, surface to volume ratio, Diets, roles in ecosystems... The essay titles given are always very broad but the examiner isn't looking for specific areas most of the time, just relevant and correct information :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by twoforjoy
Choose a number of topics, for example you could talk about how their digestive systems differ, their gaseous exchange systems, surface to volume ratio, Diets, roles in ecosystems... The essay titles given are always very broad but the examiner isn't looking for specific areas most of the time, just relevant and correct information :smile:

i thought that essay wud be about speciation.
Reply 4
Original post by D*Star
i thought that essay wud be about speciation.

well it's asking how species are different, not why or how they became different
think phenotypically and genotyopically, number of chromosomes, type of nutrition, photosynthetic versus not, adaptations to environments (eg fish have fins, lions have legs), colour, fur/scales/skin).

God, the list goes on and on guys!
A good approach to synoptic essays is to make a list of headings of topic areas first. For example: Genetic differences, methods of nutrition, warm/cold blooded, gas exchange methods, role within particular cycles, etc. Then fill in for different species. There you have the bare bones of your essay waiting to be fleshed out.

You can apply that method to pretty much any synoptic topic.
Reply 7
Original post by Revd. Mike
A good approach to synoptic essays is to make a list of headings of topic areas first. For example: Genetic differences, methods of nutrition, warm/cold blooded, gas exchange methods, role within particular cycles, etc. Then fill in for different species. There you have the bare bones of your essay waiting to be fleshed out.

You can apply that method to pretty much any synoptic topic.

this is probably the better method to use out of all of thoe that have been explained

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending