The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I would guess you'd be right about Durham because people are more likely to be trying to be all elite... whereas at Oxbridge they're already there...

It's like cool people not being the ones who say they are cool.
Bristol and Durham spring to mind immediately as 'arrogant' institutions, well known for being awkward during the selection process, keeping applicants waiting longest and taking on unhealthy numbers of students from the private demographic. Whether that translates into their own students being arrogant is difficult to say....
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Katie678
This thread is really scaring me I was looking forward to Durham.Now I am scared everyone will look down at me because I am a working class girl.

Especially after I read this article!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2010/sep/29/elite-universities-clash-of-cultures

Read the comments below it and you'll feel much better :^_^:
Reply 43
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well many people think that we're all arrogant tossers and given the environment we're in, you might suppose that there's little way we could not be arrogant. Most of the people I came across (tutors included) have a crippling lack of self-esteem/belief and think/feel rather stupid, compared to their peers or tutors. Talk to the peers or tutors and you realise that the people who you feel inferior to feel very inferior themselves (to others or sometimes even yourself!), even though you can't imagine how someone that talented could possibly not believe in themselves.

It's how some people end up very ill and/or killing themselves :sadnod:

I'm not the only one who's noticed this, so it's not just limited to my experience of Oxford either: others I know (people my age, as well as tutors) have commented on it too, about the people they know :yes:

I agree with you. I have a friend at Oxford and she is just fantastic but she feels so inferior to the people around her. I myself have often felt that way too but on the one hand it probably does lead to an improvement in your ability. If you feel you are constantly behind but you have determination you will keep working and learning to better yourself. If you think you are God's gift then that is likely to lead to complacency. That is probably the reason a lot more people than the average person expects are very down to earth at Oxford and Cambridge. That God's gift self-entitlement attitude is what probably accounts for a large number of rejections from Oxbridge and these people filter through to places like Durham. I do believe they even refer to themselves as Doxbridge. I often think about what life would be like had I not became ill during my A levels and met my Oxford offer :emo: I could have been putting myself down with some of the best manic depressives :tongue:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I see a lot on TSR with the London students, you see some of the UCL crew very keen to tell students from KCL and SOAS that their institutions are second rate and that UCL is up there with the Ivy league.

Not just UCL students that do it - one of the academics at the UCL open day I attended was just as bad!
Original post by kevin6767
I agree with you. I have a friend at Oxford and she is just fantastic but she feels so inferior to the people around her. I myself have often felt that way too but on the one hand it probably does lead to an improvement in your ability. If you feel you are constantly behind but you have determination you will keep working and learning to better yourself. If you think you are God's gift then that is likely to lead to complacency. That is probably the reason a lot more people than the average person expects are very down to earth at Oxford and Cambridge. That God's gift self-entitlement attitude is what probably accounts for a large number of rejections from Oxbridge and these people filter through to places like Durham. I do believe they even refer to themselves as Doxbridge. I often think about what life would be like had I not became ill during my A levels and met my Oxford offer :emo: I could have been putting myself down with some of the best manic depressives :tongue:

This is very true, hence why I've repped it. I was very ill at Oxford and felt hugely inadequate but there were upsides to that, in that it made me very determined and inadvertently helped me to build up self-confidence and gave me motivation to keep constantly improving myself.

There was a brilliant moment in first year where my college tutor told my tutorial partner that all composers are manic depressives :lolwut: :facepalm: :ninja: Then another one in third year when he told my welfare tutor that he was very concerned by my psychiatrist's diagnosis, as I'm more sane than all the tutors in my college :rofl:
Reply 46
This is very true, hence why I've repped it. I was very ill at Oxford and felt hugely inadequate but there were upsides to that, in that it made me very determined and inadvertently helped me to build up self-confidence and gave me motivation to keep constantly improving myself.

There was a brilliant moment in first year where my college tutor told my tutorial partner that all composers are manic depressives :lolwut: :facepalm: :ninja: Then another one in third year when he told my welfare tutor that he was very concerned by my psychiatrist's diagnosis, as I'm more sane than all the tutors in my college :rofl:

I just hope that even though I am likely to be going to York or Sheffield this year I wont become complacent and I continue to feel inadequate :tongue:
I just hope that even though I am likely to be going to York or Sheffield this year I wont become complacent and I continue to feel inadequate :tongue:

Inspiring coursemates can be found at any/every uni :smile:
Reply 48
a better thread would be - "which university has the most students who use the hackneyed phrase "we work hard and play hard" as if no one else does"
Reply 49
Original post by izzi58
a better thread would be - "which university has the most students who use the hackneyed phrase "we work hard and play hard" as if no one else does"

or any in the self dillusional "we walk on water" category
Reply 50
Inspiring coursemates can be found at any/every uni :smile:

I just hope I get a few completely insane tutors :smile:
In before "Oxford and Cambridge". The amount of self-deprecation, lack of confidence and self-hate at Oxford (and I presume Cambridge too) can be quite scary :s-smilie:

Really? That's interesting..
I just hope I get a few completely insane tutors :smile:

Again, they can be found elsewhere. Or at least they can with Music degrees :musicus:

Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Really? That's interesting..

Yeah, you wouldn't necessarily think it, would you? :nah:
Reply 53
Original post by Katie678
This thread is really scaring me I was looking forward to Durham.Now I am scared everyone will look down at me because I am a working class girl.

Especially after I read this article!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2010/sep/29/elite-universities-clash-of-cultures

That article is a load of *****cks. I'm sure you'll love Durham. There was a thread on that article in the Durham sub-forum and people basically tore it apart - I imagine the author was just exaggerating massively so that it would get published. I highly suspect that the conversation she writes of at the beginning is totally fabricated.
SOAS for the crazy left-wing terrorist stereotype. No seriously, I have no idea.
Reply 55
Original post by Jelkin
That article is a load of *****cks. I'm sure you'll love Durham. There was a thread on that article in the Durham sub-forum and people basically tore it apart - I imagine the author was just exaggerating massively so that it would get published. I highly suspect that the conversation she writes of at the beginning is totally fabricated.

Original post by Joinedup
Mmm a few loud rahs strutting around like they own the place are going to be a lot more prominent than dozens of angst ridden navel gazers sitting in their bedrooms.

What are navel gazers?
Reply 57
Madjackismad
xxx

St Andrews. :colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well in reality few people know loads of graduates or students from different universities, they will just go off what they see on TSR where a few trolls can warp perceptions and give universities a bad name.

I find in life in general people who have really achieved stuff, are rarely arrogant, they are more likely to try and overcompensate by being humble so people don't think they are arrogant. Hence the Oxbridge grads that I know are all fine. However when I went to visit a girl from Oxford, who I'd met travelling, my experience that weekend was that her college (Hertford) was full of pretentious arrogant idiots who were all trying to score points over each other. Maybe that was just a one off set of people, maybe when they get out in the real world and get good jobs they will settle down like the grads I know, but perhaps that arrogance was when they were surrounded by their peers who were all from Oxford, and they were vying for social status.

I think on TSR you see a lot of people at good universities which are outside Oxbridge, who are very keen on publicising their own university's superiority to others, and that comes over as arrogant. I see a lot on TSR with the London students, you see some of the UCL crew very keen to tell students from KCL and SOAS that their institutions are second rate and that UCL is up there with the Ivy league.

Also (and I've commented on this before) there are a few students from places like Nottingham, Bath, etc who go on the IB forum asking for careers advice, and they get treated like second class citizens because they are at a 'semi target' university, so after being bullied on there for a bit, they will go onto the finance & accountancy forum and try to assert themselves as having dominant status there because they are at a 'top ten' institution which is well ahead of the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield etc.

So you're basically saying that the sh*t-talking rolls downhill :wink:
Original post by GGekko
I agree with Durham. Went there for an offer event aound Easter time at University College. The majority of people there were absolute t****. The people at Oxford for far more down to earth. As are the people at my Uni, which has a better reputation at Durham. These w****** were the most arrogant people I have ever met, thinking they were God's gift. Most of them seemed to have gone to top top private schools and had been put on a pedestal. At the end of the day, if they were as good as they thought they were, they'd be going to Oxbridge rather than Durham (lots of them saying how they got rejected from there).

3 People I knew last year applied to Oxford [1] and Cambridge [2]. All 3 of them also applied to Durham.

By Christmas, they had all been rejected from Oxbridge and were awaiting a decision from Durham. Their attitude seemed to change overnight. One minute, they were praising Oxbridge as the best thing ever, so super shiny and fantabulous that nothing could ever compare; the next day, it's a ****hole that only posh kids get into and is massively overrated.

A year later, I'm still in contact with all of them, and when I asked how it compares to Oxbridge, their response hasn't changed "SO MUCH BETTER" etc. They've also changed into d-bags, but that's another story.

Now, here's the thing. Durham isn't a bad University at all. It's a great university. But it, along with universities like Imperial/UCL are 80% of the time under the name "Oxford" "Cambridge" on someones UCAS. They're backups in-case those people don't get into Oxbridge, whereas the other 20% apply to Durham, Imperial, UCL etc knowing that they are great Unis to begin with.

I hate hypocrites. If you applied to Oxbridge, you wanted to go there. There's a lot of self delusion on this forum that once you're rejected from Oxbridge, you never wanted to go there, it was bad anyway, etc. XXXX University is so much better...

I got rejected like a bitch. That doesn't change my opinion that they're fantastic universities. Once you get that rejection, you should really realise that it isn't the end of the world, and make the best of the opportunity you have, without deluding yourself. I still have hopes that I will get to do some sort of Postgraduate study there.

That was a bit of a tangent, but it's been something that's been bugging me for a long time on TSR.

Latest

Trending

Trending