The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by accomoffice
No it wouldn't :smile:

So how do you decide who gets in and who doesn't?

Question : In James Bailie, do you have control over the heatings in your room like you do in Clarence Dock?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Laura x<3x
So do the time of year that you get your results/ unconditional offers make any difference?

Not really - as someone else said, we set aside a percentage of accommodation across the board for unconditional students so everyone has the same chance. Next year's going to be fun - as presumably nobody will have taken a gap year, we will be doing almost everyone after A level results. :eek: Anyway, that's my problem not yours!
Original post by dmz
So how do you decide who gets in and who doesn't?

I answered that already on page 10! Have cut and pasted for you:
we assign 8 attributes to every room; 4 mandatory and 4 discretionary. Of all the people who have picked a particular residence, the computer system then tries to find the best match for those attributes. We will reassess the attributes throughout the allocation process to make sure we've got it right (so, for example, if we find that we have lots of space still at Lupton but there are still people who want Lupton and we see that they all want single sex, we would reassign a flat to be single sex)

Original post by dmz

Question : In James Bailie, do you have control over the heatings in your room like you do in Clarence Dock?

Not sure about James Baillie - I'll see if I can find out.
Reply 643
quick question to the accomoffice, how likely are we to get into Devonshire if we put Devonshire down? Is it as oversubscribed as usual this year?
Original post by RJW193
quick question to the accomoffice, how likely are we to get into Devonshire if we put Devonshire down? Is it as oversubscribed as usual this year?

It is still oversubscribed but not as badly as it used to be - it's been dropping a little bit year by year. But it's still up there just behind James Baillie Park and Henry Price.
Reply 645
I answered that already on page 10! Have cut and pasted for you:
we assign 8 attributes to every room; 4 mandatory and 4 discretionary. Of all the people who have picked a particular residence, the computer system then tries to find the best match for those attributes. We will reassess the attributes throughout the allocation process to make sure we've got it right (so, for example, if we find that we have lots of space still at Lupton but there are still people who want Lupton and we see that they all want single sex, we would reassign a flat to be single sex)

Not sure about James Baillie - I'll see if I can find out.

by attributes do you mean things like location, room type....

which 4 are mandatory? (probably not allowed to tell?)

Thanks :biggrin:, think it's gonna make or break whether i go with CD or JB

e: Oh also, the ones without wi-fi can you buy a router to plug into it

are you allowed to bring heaters into the room assuming you get one of those you can't control, and why photoshop the pictures on the site, only makes it dissappointing when we see it for real
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 646
It is still oversubscribed but not as badly as it used to be - it's been dropping a little bit year by year. But it's still up there just behind James Baillie Park and Henry Price.

thanks for the reply, i might just risk it then, it's always worth a shot yes? :rolleyes:
Reply 647
Accomoffice, hope you don't mind answering a couple more questions!

Which halls have WiFi in their halls and which don't? I know all have Internet, but wondering which have to be plugged in and which don't, and whether my phone can connect to it! It won't make a difference to my choice I imagine though.

Also, if you're allowed...if you were a first year undergraduate...which would be your first choice and why? :biggrin:
Reply 648
Original post by Xabi17
Also, if you're allowed...if you were a first year undergraduate...which would be your first choice and why? :biggrin:

oohh that's a good question! I would like to know that as well

Sorry for yet another question, but how oversubscribed would you estimate that Leodis will be this year?

I have a question... are the 50 odd week lets only available to postgraduates? Only my course is about 50 weeks long and I'll be an undergraduate.... does this mean I'll have to find alternative accommodation for the last 8/9 weeks of my first year?
Did anyone go and see Montague Burton? I don't really like the look of the rooms or the place from the online pictures but the distance to the uni appeals to me.
Reply 652
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
Did anyone go and see Montague Burton? I don't really like the look of the rooms or the place from the online pictures but the distance to the uni appeals to me.

Nope, sounds really boring and didn't appeal to me at all. Leodis is just as close, is it not?
Reply 653
Original post by Xabi17
Nope, sounds really boring and didn't appeal to me at all. Leodis is just as close, is it not?

it was literally 3mins uphill, don't know why they say 10
Original post by Xabi17

Yeah same, I have two friends who went to see it and loved it...I really, really don't get the appeal apart from it's proximity to the uni campus :s-smilie: Leodis looks alright, but it's nothing special to me - especially for the price.
Reply 655
Yeah same, I have two friends who went to see it and loved it...I really, really don't get the appeal apart from it's proximity to the uni campus :s-smilie: Leodis looks alright, but it's nothing special to me - especially for the price.

That's how i ruled out Leodis :tongue:, which ones you looking at now then?
Reply 656
I don't know tbh, I've spent all morning going through booklets, websites, this forum and I'm still umming and erring. I love Clarence Dock's facilities and the surrounding area (from what I can see online and what has been said) but I hate its distance from the uni campus...if it was a mile and a half closer it would be ideal. So then I started looking at accom closer to the campus and the only ones in an ideal location are either cheap and grungy or expensive and lacking.

I'm still hung-up on CD, but I'm trying to find other alternatives with no real luck :angry:

What do you think of James Bailie? CD is sort of my first choice i think but i reallly loved Bailie room and i feel like i'm trying to justify the CD's distance (it was 10mins back on the shuttle so it really isn't that bad but the last buses are at 11 going there, that's not cool)

I know, going doesn't make it any easier either :frown:
Reply 657
Why don't we all just go to Bodington? Glad we all agree.
Reply 658
Original post by Xabi17
Why don't we all just go to Bodington? Glad we all agree.

haha bring it next to uni and i'm down
Original post by dmz
What do you think of James Bailie? CD is sort of my first choice i think but i reallly loved Bailie room and i feel like i'm trying to justify the CD's distance (it was 10mins back on the shuttle so it really isn't that bad but the last buses are at 11 going there, that's not cool)

I know, going doesn't make it any easier either :frown:

It's alright I suppose but the rent for an en-suite room is expensive. I'm not particularly fussed sharing if I went for standard but between three/four people sharing a bathroom I'm a little bit wary, especially if people need to use it early in the morning. Plus, they only have baths in standard and I am 100% a shower person.

Why must it be in my nature that I find fault in everything? :mad:

Latest