The Student Room Group

10 A*?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerily
Getting 10 A* doesn't necessarily mean you have straight A*; a lot of people do more than 10 GCSEs.

I would imagine quite a lot of people nearly get straight A*, as it's quite easy just to drop a couple of marks in 1 exam and get (for example) 11 A* and an A. I've never actually met anyone with more A* than me (12), but this being TSR, I am fully prepared to be proven wrong :awesome:

Edit: What the ****? What was wrong with this? I... I apologise for getting 12 A*? Listen, I'm not some private-school kid who was spoon-fed everything and regurgitated it in an exam; I do have 12 A* (Track screenshot on my profile if you want general evidence of my academics, but I'm not exactly going to go to the extent of scanning in my exam certificates), and I go to a state comprehensive and taught myself the majority of my qualifications while also having two jobs and being autistic. I would really love to know what there was in this post that 19 whole people took exception to.

I may be interested in mating with you, are you fit to bear children? PM me some pictures please. Is there any history of particular diseases in your family?
Original post by medbh4805
There is so much boasting in this thread it's unreal. :facepalm2:

It's good comedy value though.
Reply 82
Original post by cttp_ngaf
I may be interested in mating with you, are you fit to bear children? PM me some pictures please. Is there any history of particular diseases in your family?

This is possibly the most wtf thing I have ever been asked on TSR. Have an award! :awesome:
Reply 83
Original post by Maths_Lover
I'm in Year 11. It says that they are post-16 courses. :frown:

I am currently doing my GCSEs and Maths AS. Next year I am doing Maths (A2), Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and French.

I am probably going to do Maths at uni. :yes:

Ahh that's great, I like maths but not as much as science though :smile: and health career :smile: But not a Doctor...(hours are bad...too much too sacrifice...basically i'm not good to sacrifice as much as doctors....so hats off to the people doing medicine...plus many other reason....I won't bore you) and you combine all that, then you get a DENTIST !!!!
Original post by mabelbarc
im currently in year 11 to, youll be old enough becuase its anyone in 6th form? :P

Oh right. Oops... :facepalm: :colondollar:
Reply 85
Oh right. Oops... :facepalm: :colondollar:

tehe well good luck with whatever you do :smile:
Original post by - Major -
Ahh that's great, I like maths but not as much as science though :smile: and health career :smile: But not a Doctor...(hours are bad...too much too sacrifice...basically i'm not good to sacrifice as much as doctors....so hats off to the people doing medicine...plus many other reason....I won't bore you) and you combine all that, then you get a DENTIST !!!!

Awesome! I too was put off by Medicine. I am the other way round: I like the sciences but not as much as Maths (with the exception of Physics). Dentistry is a good choice. I am still unsure as to what career path I should take. :s-smilie:
tehe well good luck with whatever you do :smile:

Thank you and you as well. :cute:
Reply 88
Yeah and you, Maths is to hard for me haha

Oh right we have continual mocks all the time :/

Its an open university module course: http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/yass/
Its like doing part of a uni course on top of your A-Levels for a bit of fun + it looks good on your CV! I think most people in this Thread would be able to do it :smile: I'm going to do the Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tsunamis one

Hey, I'd be really interested in doing something like this, would you be able to explain a bit more about how the funding for it works? It sounds like schools cover the costs, but we haven't been told anything about this and I'm finding the website slightly confusing! How would you go about arranging it?
13 A*s ftw ! :gah:
Reply 90
Wow if you people came to my school you would have a huge shock.
Reply 91
Awesome! I too was put off by Medicine. I am the other way round: I like the sciences but not as much as Maths (with the exception of Physics). Dentistry is a good choice. I am still unsure as to what career path I should take. :s-smilie:

Pure Maths degree's are pretty epic, two of my friends are doing it at imperial and kings. If you can't pick, just head with a maths degree and you'll have sometime to decide on your career while in uni. But I'll advice you to look into finance, economics, accountancy. Ermm check out all the maths related degree, you might like one of them :smile:
Reply 92
I was happy with my GCSES and got 10 A*, 1 A and a B. But I took an extra GCSE out of school (Dance)

Do Unis look at what gcses you did or is it just the grades that count?
Original post by kerily
This is possibly the most wtf thing I have ever been asked on TSR. Have an award! :awesome:

Reply 94
I got 10 A*'s and 1A. Three people in my year got all A*'s (i.e. 11 A*'s).
Original post by - Major -
Pure Maths degree's are pretty epic, two of my friends are doing it at imperial and kings. If you can't pick, just head with a maths degree and you'll have sometime to decide on your career while in uni. But I'll advice you to look into finance, economics, accountancy. Ermm check out all the maths related degree, you might like one of them :smile:

Yes. Thanks. :smile:

Maths degrees look pretty brilliant and some contain lots of Physics! That's my kind of Maths degree... :yes: Yeah, I will worry about a career later. :h:
Reply 96
Original post by xRainbowx
I was happy with my GCSES and got 10 A*, 1 A and a B. But I took an extra GCSE out of school (Dance)

Both. It won't be impressive if you got a load of A*'s in Dance, Media Studies, Travel and Tourism and Leisure Studies. You catch my drift?
Reply 97
The rant in your third paragraph is the problem. There was nothing wrong in your informative and logical post (TSR just likes to neg rep things) but by writing that horrible third paragraph you've really revealed that massive chip on your shoulder.

Original post by kerily
Getting 10 A* doesn't necessarily mean you have straight A*; a lot of people do more than 10 GCSEs.

I would imagine quite a lot of people nearly get straight A*, as it's quite easy just to drop a couple of marks in 1 exam and get (for example) 11 A* and an A. I've never actually met anyone with more A* than me (12), but this being TSR, I am fully prepared to be proven wrong :awesome:

Edit: What the ****? What was wrong with this? I... I apologise for getting 12 A*? Listen, I'm not some private-school kid who was spoon-fed everything and regurgitated it in an exam; I do have 12 A* (Track screenshot on my profile if you want general evidence of my academics, but I'm not exactly going to go to the extent of scanning in my exam certificates), and I go to a state comprehensive and taught myself the majority of my qualifications while also having two jobs and being autistic. I would really love to know what there was in this post that 19 whole people took exception to.
Reply 98
Original post by xRainbowx

As long as you have English, maths and science, it doesn't really matter to be honest. Of course, if two applicants both have English, maths and science, but one also has sociology, media studies, dance, psychology, art and food tech, but another also has French, German, Latin, history, triple science and additional maths, and they both happen to be applying for a maths degree and everything else about them is completely equal, the second applicant is at a slight advantage. But your GCSE choices really don't matter very much at all in the great scheme of things - I have art and graphics, and yet I didn't have any problems applying for maths. Bear in mind, though, that some universities (UCL is one) will demand a GCSE in a modern foreign language even if you're not applying for a languages degree.

Original post by cttp_ngaf

Your use of macros turns me on :sexface:
Reply 99
Original post by Vazzyb
The rant in your third paragraph is the problem. There was nothing wrong in your informative and logical post (TSR just likes to neg rep things) but by writing that horrible third paragraph you've really revealed that massive chip on your shoulder.

I wrote the third paragraph after the 19 negreps, not before. :s-smilie:

Eh. I do have a massive chip on my shoulder, yes, because people I know in real life like to go around telling me that my achievements are meaningless and that I'm basically a waste of space who shouldn't have bothered applying to uni. Hence turning to the internet. So I just... I don't know, I didn't understand and I wanted to know why, and I was pretty angry after reading what the guy had to say about how I obviously had cheated on everything by virtue of being autistic.

Sigh.

Quick Reply

Latest