The Student Room Group

Can't eat?

Okay so right now I'm feeling pretty down with various things, and a few days ago I just completely lost my appetite, im assuming its related to me feeling stressed/upset.
I have barely eaten for the past 3 days. I have like a sandwich and a banana and i feel physically sick. however i feel weak and hungry at the same time. I don't think i'm actually unwell, i think it's in my head. how can i make myself eat something? i feel lethargic and tired and even more down than i did before
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so right now I'm feeling pretty down with various things, and a few days ago I just completely lost my appetite, im assuming its related to me feeling stressed/upset.
I have barely eaten for the past 3 days. I have like a sandwich and a banana and i feel physically sick. however i feel weak and hungry at the same time. I don't think i'm actually unwell, i think it's in my head. how can i make myself eat something? i feel lethargic and tired and even more down than i did before

It might be best you see a doctor. If you are feeling depressed, that could cause it for some people too.
Good Luck
Reply 2
If you're fat then this could be a blessing.

If you're slim, seek medical attention the symptoms do not subside.
Reply 3
You might find that eating a load of food just after you wake up helps (i.e. before your brains fully clicked into gear).

Soups, other easy to eat things may also work better; but as others have said, if this continues, see a doctor. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Alian
You might find that eating a load of food just after you wake up helps (i.e. before your brains fully clicked into gear).

Soups, other easy to eat things may also work better; but as others have said, if this continues, see a doctor. :smile:

I tried that this morning and I had a few mouthfuls before feeling sick. If I go to the doctors what will they even be able to do? I don't have a bug or anything, I'm sure it's in my head :frown:
Reply 5
I tried that this morning and I had a few mouthfuls before feeling sick. If I go to the doctors what will they even be able to do? I don't have a bug or anything, I'm sure it's in my head :frown:

If it is due to stress they may be able to give you something to reduce it. Not entirely sure as have never been in your situation though.
Reply 6
If you feel sick when you eat then you could get some anti-nausea pills from your doctor, although if the problem's psychological I'm not sure how much that would help you. Is there anything you can do to reduce the stress you're feeling?
What do you think caused this? I'm curious cus I've been last this the past couple of days too. The thought of food is just rubbish to me, can't stomach it and having to force things down really. I normally love food :frown:
Reply 8
I had similar experience but due to depression instead of stress.
My mum was feeding me smoothies as it was the only thing I could down, even though to finish one glass took me like 2 hours if not more.
Maybe try eating something light, perhaps a chiken flavoured soup, you know those really watery ones. Or like noodles soup. Anything liquid will get you by and eventually your stress will go away/get better which would also mean you will slowly begin to eat more and more.
Reply 9
Original post by superwolf
If you feel sick when you eat then you could get some anti-nausea pills from your doctor, although if the problem's psychological I'm not sure how much that would help you. Is there anything you can do to reduce the stress you're feeling?

I'm usually alright at managing my stress but I feel like everything's just been building up for a while. I don't feel directly stressed right now, more kinda sad. Tbh if i could reduce the stress i was feeling i'd have done it already, not sure what to do :frown:

What do you think caused this? I'm curious cus I've been last this the past couple of days too. The thought of food is just rubbish to me, can't stomach it and having to force things down really. I normally love food :frown:

Well like I just said, just various things causing stress, loads of schoolwork, family arguments, relationship going through a rough patch, they don't sound like major things but when altogetther like they are now, i am finding it difficult to cope :frown: if it was just one of those things alone, i'd probably be okay. i usually love food too I don't know what's causing this! I feel so weak

Original post by parasitic
I had similar experience but due to depression instead of stress.
My mum was feeding me smoothies as it was the only thing I could down, even though to finish one glass took me like 2 hours if not more.
Maybe try eating something light, perhaps a chiken flavoured soup, you know those really watery ones. Or like noodles soup. Anything liquid will get you by and eventually your stress will go away/get better which would also mean you will slowly begin to eat more and more.

Thank you for this :smile: I guess i've been trying to eat too much 'hard' food, but i can tell my body is really hungry even though i can't eat much.
Reply 10
I've also struggled with a similar thing, and the only thing that really helped in terms of the eating was to try the 'little and often' strategy. So rather than forcing yourself to eat a sandwich when you're feeling sick, try having half an apple or something, then waiting a couple of hours and having a slice of toast.

Just be disciplined and make sure you're eating something every 3 hours at least, even if it's just a cereal bar or half a banana.

Take care, feel free to pm me if you need xxxx
Reply 11

Don't pressure yourself to eat large meals, because as you said it's probably all in your head and you convince yourself beforehand that you won't be able to eat it. Eat small meals or snacks often throughout the day if you can't face a full meal. You say you feel 'weak' so I think the energy from the food will make you feel better. Also, speak to someone about whatever's troubling you. If you get depressed easily, maybe you should speak to your doctor.
I once lost my appetite for a week after a bad break up (and I LOVE food), but I was lucky I had uni ahead of me and so consumed myself with that and by the time I was there, I was eating better. Go see a doctor and in the mean time, set yourself a personal goal to improve your mood and give yourself focus?

Also if suddenly there's something you really fancy to eat, despite being repulsed by everything else, GO GET IT, even if it's junk. The only thing I fancied during that whole week was a plain cheeseburger but it felt good to have something in my tum. Another idea is get some small snacky things like (chocolate) raisins, grapes etc and put them in a bowl so they are there to pick at. Busy yourself and maybe you'll eat one or two absent mindedly and build an appetite back up.
Reply 13
Original post by Littlecupcake
I once lost my appetite for a week after a bad break up (and I LOVE food), but I was lucky I had uni ahead of me and so consumed myself with that and by the time I was there, I was eating better. Go see a doctor and in the mean time, set yourself a personal goal to improve your mood and give yourself focus?

Also if suddenly there's something you really fancy to eat, despite being repulsed by everything else, GO GET IT, even if it's junk. The only thing I fancied during that whole week was a plain cheeseburger but it felt good to have something in my tum. Another idea is get some small snacky things like (chocolate) raisins, grapes etc and put them in a bowl so they are there to pick at. Busy yourself and maybe you'll eat one or two absent mindedly and build an appetite back up.

Thanks for this advice, I'll try it :smile: x
Thanks for this advice, I'll try it :smile: x

No problem and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending