The Student Room Group

WHY are BBC calling the libiyan people 'rebels' AND NOT "revolutionaries?"

Notice the subtle hint? Call them rebels, let them get rid of Gaddafi, and then, say how can "Rebels" form a government , so we'll help?

i know there are other libya threads, but i HAD to post this.

Opinions?

Libiya will not split into east or west, weakening middle eastern countries is a well known tactic. These are not my own words, it was ofcourse, israeli and us governments who said this 30 years back/mentioned it.

I don't want a 'provisional western government'

i don't want east or west libiya

i want a powerful, strong, UNITED libiya
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sixthformer
Notice the subtle hint? Call them rebels, let them get rid of Gaddafi, and then, say how can "Rebels" form a government , so we'll help?

Opinions?

They already have a council which the West is prodding into declaring itself a provisional government.
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
They already have a council which the West is prodding into declaring itself a provisional government.

Libiya will not split into east or west, weakening middle eastern countries is a well known tactic. These are not my own words, it was ofcourse, israeli and us governments who said this 30 years back/mentioned it.

Reply 3

No one wants the rebels to split and the rebels are advancing as we speak anyway.

I did't say anything about the country splitting. The rebel council is being prodded into forming a proper government so they can take over after Gadaffi and get the country ready for legit elections.
Reply 4
Original post by Aj12
No one wants the rebels to split and the rebels are advancing as we speak anyway.

I did't say anything about the country splitting. The rebel council is being prodded into forming a proper government so they can take over after Gadaffi and get the country ready for legit elections.

do you want me to call you a rebel?

no, it's degrading.

it's the same synonim for a bandit, or people with no real aim or goal.

"you rebel"

can you see how clever MEDIA are?

Call them revolutionary forces, because it is LIBIYA revolution, and i hope the USA does NOT meddle with who they elect
I think you mean *Libya :smile:

I don't understand your point though, we're helping the "rebels" aren't we :s-smilie:? Please explain again, sorry :smile::smile:
do you want me to call you a rebel?

no, it's degrading.

it's the same synonim for a bandit, or people with no real aim or goal.

"you rebel"

can you see how clever MEDIA are?

Call them revolutionary forces, because it is LIBIYA revolution, and i hope the USA does NOT meddle with who they elect

The Beeb is the tool of the government. Impartial my arse. Their reporting in Palestine sucks. Gadaffi has done some bad **** yes, and the libyan people have geunine worries and I Hope tgey unite to crush their govt. Gadaffi, in his speeches He actually speaks sense when he talks about British foreign policy. Listen to Farrakhans take on the situation. Libya is winning the argument. I mean where the hell were America in Congo? They don't care about the people. Iraq part 2
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by foldingstars45
I think you mean *Libya :smile:

I don't understand your point though, we're helping the "rebels" aren't we :s-smilie:? Please explain again, sorry :smile::smile:

The OP believes the term rebel is degrading and instead those who are fighting against Gadaffi in Libya should be referred to as revolutionaries by the BBC and other media outlets. The OP does have a point. When you think of rebel you get a sense of those trying to overthrow good. Which really is the opposite of what is happening in Libya.
Because the BBC cannot be biased in its output.
Reply 9

Original post by LiamTheKook
The OP believes the term rebel is degrading and instead those who are fighting against Gadaffi in Libya should be referred to as revolutionaries by the BBC and other media outlets. The OP does have a point. When you think of rebel you get a sense of those trying to overthrow good. Which really is the opposite of what is happening in Libya.

Rebels are just revolutionaries who lost. Revolutionaries are just rebels who won.
Original post by LiamTheKook

Oh I see, thanks :smile:. I guess it does sound that way, but it could just be because they want the current system to change - rebelling against the usual system rather than, as you say "good".
I do agree though, "rebel" does sound a bit... eh. But calling them revolutionaries would put across the idea that doing things the way they are doing is good - and England wouldn't want people getting a similar idea to the people in Libya, would they?
(I know the situations are VERY different, but people here are very unhappy with how our country is run)

Opinions?

they're are called rebels because that's what they are. they are rebelling against a government. to call them revolutionaries would be to aggrandize them; the BBC is trying to present this issue in as neutral way as possible. you may think that the term 'rebel' is degrading, but it is being used in its correct context so stop complaining.
Reply 12
Original post by jblackmoustache
The Beeb is the tool of the government. Impartial my arse. Their reporting in Palestine sucks. Gadaffi has done some bad **** yes, and the libyan people have geunine worries and I Hope tgey unite to crush their govt. Gadaffi, in his speeches He actually speaks sense when he talks about British foreign policy. Listen to Farrakhans take on the situation. Libya is winning the argument. I mean where the hell were America in Congo? They don't care about the people. Iraq part 2

99% this
Original post by Hylean
Revolutionaries are just rebels who won.

Yeah I was just going to say this. The media might start to call them revolutionaries when they manage overthrow Gadaffi.
Reply 14
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
they're are called rebels because that's what they are. they are rebelling against a government. to call them revolutionaries would be to aggrandize them; the BBC is trying to present this issue in as neutral way as possible. you may think that the term 'rebel' is degrading, but it is being used in its correct context so stop complaining.

How can they be neutral? Are they trying to be fair to gaddafi?

There is only one side, a dictator surported by western governments (proof of trading weapons) is being ousted by the opressed people of libiya, who are not REBELS, but A REVOLUTION
Reply 15
Original post by foldingstars45
Yeah I was just going to say this. The media might start to call them revolutionaries when they manage overthrow Gadaffi.

i hope so,

if they continue to call them rebels, then say " how can REBELS form a government? see a plan?
Because there hasn't been a bloody revolution yet.
They are, that's why. Stop being a slaaaaaag.
Revolutionaries have ideas, internal structures, and clear plans. Violence may be used but it will form part of a calculated plan with clear leadership.

Rebels are pissed off and have pickup trucks and AK47s, and are more intent on expressing their anger rather than genuine reform (although reform may naturally develop from the achievements of their anger - but at what cost of those who are loyal to [and have a right to be loyal to] Gadaffi who may find themselves massacred when the rebels reach the west of the country?)
(edited 13 years ago)
i hope so,

if they continue to call them rebels, then say " how can REBELS form a government? see a plan?

Yeah, I see your point. But then what would our government do? Would they get involved or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending